Hello boys and girls... :P

Water mania continues! Summer is hot, summer means also water, so get up and make a motorized ship !!!

Here is my try... I bought the Lego 60014 Coast Guard Ship yesterday because water mania started in me... The construction with Technic and PF is simple... I got only problem with propeller... I tried the small propeller... which gave me only small trust... Today piterx shared me a video and I have seen a nice propeller made from Technic panels... The disadvantage is the back movement, for which is this propeller not suitable...

So let's have a fun and show me your ships with Technic parts... :)

This is my first attempt I try also other solutions... Waiting for piterx... :***

Video:

I had to put away the ship's bridge and helicopter because ships gravity centre was to high and on the first attempt landed LiPo battery and L motor under the water... but survived... :D ... I will tell you tomorow if they are OK... :D

Max...

post-138176-0-36058500-1437600922_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaxSupercars

duuude that thing is unstable as hell lol

try gearing the propeller down a bit

unfortunately youll have to wait till i publish something with a boat... probably end of summer, maybe in september :\

Yesss... you're right... it's unstable... the hull is not very good I think... the deck is also too high... I can't put battery and motor lower...

But this is the first attempt... propulsion was made in half an hour to test if it got enought trust and I am satisfied... I want to add second motor with the second propeller which will be rotating in opposite direction to disable vibrations...

I bought one more small hull with the 60085 Lego set... maybe I buy one more and make a catamaran... :)

We'll see...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Hull is probably as good as any other hull, your problem is the centre of gravity compared to the centre of buoyancy. Also, the propeller is massively oversized.

Adding a second hull as you suggest will definitely make things a lot easier for a Lego ship of this type!

That being said, I am impressed at the effectiveness of your propeller! Great vid! Made me smile! :classic:

Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this project! :thumbup:

Hull is probably as good as any other hull, your problem is the centre of gravity compared to the centre of buoyancy. Also, the propeller is massively oversized.

I got also Idea with stabilizers... One can be placed on the bottom... there's attach point from lego... or I make stabilizers on the sides... panels towards in the water... But as I said... when I add second propeller it should be better... :)

Adding a second hull as you suggest will definitely make things a lot easier for a Lego ship of this type!

OK, I try it... :)

That being said, I am impressed at the effectiveness of your propeller! Great vid! Made me smile! :classic:

That was purpose... to make smile... :D I got no bigger propeller so I had to do something but as I said design comes from someone on youtube... :)

Looking forward to seeing how you progress on this project! :thumbup:

Thanx for kind reaction... This is not serious model... I just want to test capabilities of Lego in water and with this propeller it could be pretty fast... :D

So enjoy summer guys !!! :***

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

I remember from an old police boat(7899) I got quite a while ago, had an attachable motor on the bottom of the hull. You could use a hull that had such a mounting and make your own keel. Seems difficult though.

Thanx for info... Yes this hull got also such a mounting on the bottom outside...

I have found your ship with motor... But you could it only once turn on and ship goes forward... or if you turned the rudder to one side, the ship made circles... nothing more... or? I'm interested what propeller did it use and how effective it was... video is quite interesting... :)

Image with motor:

http://bricker.info/images/sets/7899_brickset.jpg

Video:

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

So fun continues...

I have tryied propellers from the 70724 set... They got only pin hole so additional parts are needed to rotate them...

Here video... Definitely the first version got more trust and is very effective... This got better back movement...

Have a nice day guys... :)

Max...

post-138176-0-38304800-1437661732_thumb.jpg

Edited by MaxSupercars

After sucessful test of the propellers I made the dual version... With this version it is possible to turn by changing the rotation direction of one of the motors so the ship can also turn on the place...

Looking forward for tests in the pool... :*

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Do you think that friction is enough? Propellers got only pin hole...

I can order other from BL with axle hole but I needed the instant solution...

Max...

Well I've made boats using the fiction pin and it worked great.

And here test in the pool... I'm quite satisfied... :)

Wouldn't two side-by-side propellers (like the ones you used) spinning in opposite directions cancel out most of the torque? Maybe the problem with a single propeller is not the efficiency of the propeller, but the twist generated on the hull when the propeller is engaged.

Wouldn't two side-by-side propellers (like the ones you used) spinning in opposite directions cancel out most of the torque? Maybe the problem with a single propeller is not the efficiency of the propeller, but the twist generated on the hull when the propeller is engaged.

Yes right... I wanted to do it so... but there are 2 different propellers needed with opposite oriented blades... And that's the problem... Lego got no such 2 different propellers... If you turn around the normal propeller, the blades are still oriented in the same way...

The main reason I used 2 propellers is no need of rudder to turn... I can turn now by changing of rotation of one of propellers... And the advantage is that the ship can turn on the place...

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Well I've made boats using the fiction pin and it worked great.

So I tryied it and works quite well... Thanx once more for the hint... ;)

Max...