Sign in to follow this  
Dutchiedoughnut

MOC: Tractors and trailers

Its truly a MOC, since I used to work IRL for a truck company and now for a trailer company. What better motivation than to recreate your work in the brick?

To that end, I've created a DAF FTT CF daycab truck.

DAF%20CF%20FTT_zps0jmxqdqe.jpg

The DAF features a double rear axle (therefore it is an FTT), a CF cab with no bed (daycab) and it does have additional side windows. That's not very common, but it is optional and I think the model needed a little something. It has stairs to get into the cab, and aerodynamic spoilers to the sides and back. I do think the front would benefit from some stickers.

DAF%20CF%20FTT%20rear%20view_zpsofu65zrn.jpg

As in real life, stairs have been built into the gas tank to climb onto the back of the truck. The gearbox can be seen at the back. There is a filler cap at either side of the truck for diesel and AdBlue (might have to replace that one with a blue filler cap).

DAF%20CF%20FTT%20air%20tank%20and%20lights_zpsfqoe2pof.jpg

At the back of the truck, an air tank is placed between the rear lights. I might have to re-work the kingpin, but it's working quite well.

I didn't quite stop there. A truck needs a trailer!

While the truck is modeled after a specific model, the trailer is a generic-style moving floor trailer. These kinds of trailers are commonly used (over here in Europe) to haul agricultural goods.

DAF%20CF%20FTT%20en%20trailer_zpsobaddciv.jpg

Lets hook 'm up!

Trailer%20self%20supporting%20structure_zpsszdoy0no.jpg

The trailer itself sports a partial chassis. In front of the landing legs, the trailer is self supporting. A bit of the structure can be seen here that tries to mimic real life. (ive hidden some bricks). Behind the landing legs the chassis runs all the way to the rear and equipment storage has been added in front of the axles at either side.

Trailer%20underbody_zpso3mh64m2.jpg

There are three axles - a bit rare in Lego but there you go - and the lights have been fitted on the bumper.

Trailer%20rear%20doors_zpsho5sjlly.jpg

The rear has opening doors which show the moving floor (currently in the forward position) and a little of the subfloor in white. This is in fact an abrasive panel.

Trailer%20unloading%20gate_zpskazsfpfe.jpg

I wanted to do something a little different, so the trailer also has a loading and unloading gate at the rear. This can be used whenever there is not enough room to use the doors.

Trailer%20catwalk%20and%20stairs_zpsitgldgtw.jpg

At the front is a catwalk with stairs at either end. These can be accessed from the truck, but they are a bit high for my liking.

DAF%20CF%20Tractor%20and%20trailer_zps2elgnvmi.jpg

I have to say I adore their proportions. They look about just right :). If anything the trailer could be a bit longer.

DAF%20CF%20Tractor%20and%20trailer%20clearance_zpsgkk4o02u.jpg

The catwalk and the clearance to the tractor when coupled. Looks great together!

DAF%20CF%20Tractor%20and%20trailer%20clearance%20in%20turn_zpsmdncpt3z.jpg

And they can go around a bend together!

Really like your work. Great looking truck & trailers.

Its truly a MOC, since I used to work IRL for a truck company and now for a trailer company. What better motivation than to recreate your work in the brick?

To that end, I've created a DAF FTT CF daycab truck.

The DAF features a double rear axle (therefore it is an FTT), a CF cab with no bed (daycab) and it does have additional side windows.

Being an veteran of Naval Aviation, as well as now in aviation in the civilian world. If you are not talking to someone in Aviation or with a Navy background, they get lost real quick with the abbreviations, and acronyms. I do try to at least go back in posts and stuff online to put it in "English" for the rest of those out there, but sometimes forget, or miss some here and there. It happens.

Could you spell out your abbreviations for us none Europeans and truck people :) Thanks.

DAF is (Van Doorne's Automobiel Fabriek N.V.) an automobile manufacturer of Dutch origin.

CF is the type of the truck itself.

DAF-two-safety-specified-trucks-CF-LF-CLOCS_popup.jpg

I think this nice MOC represents this truck very well. :classic::thumbup: love the orange color

Edited by Out of Sight

Really like your work. Great looking truck & trailers.

Being an veteran of Naval Aviation, as well as now in aviation in the civilian world. If you are not talking to someone in Aviation or with a Navy background, they get lost real quick with the abbreviations, and acronyms. I do try to at least go back in posts and stuff online to put it in "English" for the rest of those out there, but sometimes forget, or miss some here and there. It happens.

Could you spell out your abbreviations for us none Europeans and truck people :) Thanks.

I think IRL is quite common (in real life). I did try and explain the FTT and daycab, but DAF is the brand name (Actually van Doorne's Aanhangwagen Fabriek, translates to van Doorne Trailer Factory. They started out making trailers a long time ago). CF is the model name, it's not an abbreviation.

(Actually van Doorne's Aanhangwagen Fabriek, translates to van Doorne Trailer Factory. They started out making trailers a long time ago)

Ahh, thanks for correcting that out :thumbup:

I think IRL is quite common (in real life). I did try and explain the FTT and daycab, but DAF is the brand name (Actually van Doorne's Aanhangwagen Fabriek, translates to van Doorne Trailer Factory. They started out making trailers a long time ago). CF is the model name, it's not an abbreviation.

Thanks for the info.

Never got into the text abbreviations, so never heard of IRL. Which is kind of weird because when it comes to Navy and Aviation, I can through enough around to make your head spin. LOL

Keep up the great work.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

Well, I've studies Aerospace Engineering myself so it might be a bit more difficult to make my head spin ;).

How do you not get confused when you see this:

ACU - aircraft communications system

ACU - antenna control unit

ACU - apron control unit

ACU - autopilot control unit

(See more at: http://www.aviationt...h.irZHPDgR.dpuf)

Back on topic, I'm also looking at a nice American tractor and trailer. It's a work in progress, however:

Lego%20Peterbilt_zpseeqvkw0c.jpg

Edited by Dutchiedoughnut

Fantastic trucks and trailer. I like the gas tank on the american one, simply but great. Great work!!!

Lets do a bigger report on the Peterbilt ;).

The red American truck is based on a Peterbilt of the 1980's. Something like this:

C5748.JPG

There are a few features of these American trucks that I focussed on.

First off, the narrow and tall hood. I've seen a bunch of 6-wide hoods and 6-wide windscreens and I think they are just wrong for these trucks.

Next, the wider sleeper section and gas tank underneath. Last is the narrow set of lights that sit between the rear wheels.

Peterbilt%20front_zps2emqa7jc.jpg

Lets compare ;). The grill is all black, I might change that to silver. Don't know yet. Obviously it's a red truck ;).

Peterbilt%20rear_zpsvw9x3cye.jpg

There are lights and airhorns on the top of the truck as well. And I've modified the kingpin on this truck and the DAF. The distance from the cab to the kingpin is identical in both trucks. The elevation of the kingpin is the same as well, so all trailers fit both tractors.

Here is the trailer for the Peterbilt:

Peterbilt%20and%20trailer_zpsodfztqsm.jpg

And to compare:

Peterbilt%20and%20DAF_zps1hxepda8.jpg

The trailers are line up, so it's obvious that the American combination is so much longer than the European one. It's also a touch taller.

After looking at some of the other truck-related topics on here, my models got a big upgrade as well.

Credits for droomangroup for the mirror design on the Peterbilt, and to cameronmiller1988 for the inspiration for the wheel arrangement.

Im going to start with the red Peterbilt.

Red%20Peterbilt%20v2_zpsbmvcp7yb.jpg

A big difference is in the wheels, they have a bigger diameter and are wider under the tractor. I would love to have two separate wheels at the back instead of these fat ones, but I haven't found the right parts to make it look good. The mirrors are also changed, I'm happy with their width.

The biggest difference is under the hood, quite literally!

Red%20Peterbilt%20v2%20doors%20open_zpshl6binlf.jpg

The hood can now be opened and reveals the engine. It's modeled loosely after a Cummins engine.

Similar changes have been made to the DAF. It also has a bigger cab which corresponds to their biggest model of truck (named the XF).

Orange%20DAF%20XF_zpskyqfrx1l.jpg

The bigger cab allowed me to make a cab that tips open to reveal the PACCAR engine. It's modelled differently: Black instead of the red for the Cummins engine, and it's narrower at the top.

On the DAF, the fat rear tires are actually correct and are more common in Europe that two narrow rear wheels.

Orange%20DAF%20XF%20cab%20open_zpsr04vvxov.jpg

I'm very happy with the cab as it tips in the right place. On the real thing, the headlights and bottom of the grille don't tip. It took quite a bit of effort to get the fenders correct.

There is also more detail to the back of the cab with the air intake. Any other details would be out of place, as the hydraulic and pneumatic connections are mounted on the chassis itself.

DAF%20cement%20truck_zpslc8gwvvn.jpg

Here's a cement truck thrown in for fun ;).

Those look great!

The 4 wide cab still looks a little strange to me because I have all mine a 6 wide haha

What those rims you are using for the read wheels?

Edited by cameronmiller1988

Oh wait I found them!

Here is what I put them on.

Thanks to IMVANYA for the great sports car design I used to show scale.

rxUq1pc.png

Edited by cameronmiller1988

Those are the ones! I used those because I could build a stronger rear axle with them. I guess you found that out too ;). I think it's cool that a 4-wide cab and a 6-wide cab both turn out pretty good! All in all, my tractors are 8 wide at the mirrors though :o.

Great models, all of you. I particularly like the Peterbuilt, with its narrow cab and accessible engine. What parts were used for its hood hinge?

Also, where is the thread for the sports car?

I've used 1x1 technic bricks for the hinge. But there are quite a few options... I've experimented with Technic half beams as well. The hinge on the Peterbilt is where the oil sump on the engine would be.

Great models, all of you. I particularly like the Peterbuilt, with its narrow cab and accessible engine. What parts were used for its hood hinge?

Also, where is the thread for the sports car?

Here is the thread for the sports cars http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89241

There are a bunch in there and I think most of them look awesome!

Dutchiedoughnut - Can you share your LDD file for your latest version?

I really like these designs! If I had a bigger space for my layout I would definitely try my hand at a few! Look forward to your other MOC's in the future!