anothergol

[MOC - WIP] another AT-ST

Hey there everyone, so I started collecting pets to build this but I've ran into one problem, I only have an iPhone and no computer so I can't open the LDD file, is there a possibility someone could help me out?

That's the page I have but I can't open the link with the build instructions, it directs me to a blank page.

I'm very new to the MOC world, I'm only seeing the link for the LDD/LXF file. Is this the zip file you're talking about?

Edited by Strait-Edge

This is really really good! I need to work on my AT-AT first, but I already imported the needed parts to a new BL wanted list :wink:

I learnt something from this thread, I never realised there were two AT-STs... Also, if that picture on the edited first post is anything to go by, it stands upright, unsupported which is a testimony to the skill you've shown. I've tried numerous times to build an AT-ST, each time I had to make a compromise between it needing support for it not to fall over and inaccurate legs but stable, and ending up giving up since I liked neither, so I applaud you!

Thanks

Strangely, in the SW Battlefront game, it's the Endor version that's used on Hoth. There really aren't many shots of the Hoth version anywhere.

Version 2 is still waiting for parts but stands up as well btw:

AT-ST_V2_WIP.jpg

I have completed a pair of Anothergol's fantastic AT-ST. Thank you very much for posting the instructions. They look right at home with Cavegods AT-AT! As I was building them, I did make a few small mods, mostly on the feet and the guns. This display will be at NCLUG's Lego-Palozza this Saturday in Chapel Hill NC. Come on over!

24555464261_7c847e53ff_c.jpgDSC01375 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

24637648535_53a8e3e92f_c.jpgDSC01379 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

24342106760_8c5a08f0a6_c.jpgDSC01378 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Looking neat! And in scale with the AT-AT.

I see you've elevated the foot's joint, but in reality it was already slightly higher than it should have been.

I'd use Bandai's recent version for any reference, it's really a great kit (& amazing version here below).

APqdXks.jpg

I'm looking for help for custom waterslide decals for version 2 btw.

Edited by anothergol

The foot joint was elevated so that I could fit in a 1x2 brick with pin hole. With that brick, I could pin the feet to the base which helps keep it stable while posing. I also added two 1x2 plates with slide rail to either side of the shovel to help fill in that area.

24535028882_4495a1167f_c.jpgDSC01385 by Scott Roys, on Flickr

Edited by ecmo47

I'm looking for help for custom waterslide decals for version 2 btw.

I don't know much about the physical side of decals, but I know my way around Photoshop and Illustrator. If you tell me what you're after, I could see what I can do.

The foot joint was elevated so that I could fit in a 1x2 brick with pin hole. With that brick, I could pin the feet to the base which helps keep it stable while posing.

ah, that makes sense, however normally the real problem should be the balancing on the feet's ball joints. It would be a bit weird that shaking the table would make it fall due to the feet, -normally- it should fall over from the joints themselves. But for that I have no solution except a display stand (or glue).

Edit: for the one with the walking pose, I can imagine that pinning it does make it very stable indeed.

Edited by anothergol

I don't know much about the physical side of decals, but I know my way around Photoshop and Illustrator. If you tell me what you're after, I could see what I can do.

Thanks, but that's with the physical side that I have problems too. I should be able to design the decals, but not print them :(

This said, if you enjoy designing decals, help is still welcome. I've highlighted the critical ones in red, & the one that may improve it in green.

Of course, it'd all be Lego-illustration-style. I'll be using Lego's own printed AT-ST round tiles in the back.

Important:

-the side dishes would really look better with the inside pattern. Actually, there's a lego part looking a bit like it, but it doesn't really work in practice

-the top hatch, although the sprue mark might be a problem with a waterslide decal (but not with a classic transparent sticker)

-the back has 4 vents at the top, twice the same decal on the 2 hinges

-the body's sides has little dots (5 of them, but I'd do 3 as the slopes are small)

Optional:

-the "real" one has some little dots on side plates at the top (not the same on both sides), not very important, and not exactly where the 2x2 tiles are

-the front could use a blast mark, like I've seen on some painted Bandai kits

-the leg dishes have their own pattern too, even though it'd probably be hard to apply a decal to the larger dishes

-the back has 2 specific vents that could be on a 2x4 tile instead of what's there (I tried to put a tile to split the vents in 2, but it doesn't look great)

-(even the interior could use detail decals as well)

So there's nothing very artistic, it's mostly geometrical stuff.

AT-ST_Decals.jpg

Edited by anothergol

I'll have a play when I've got some time, see if I can come up with anything that looks decent. If you have dimensions for the pieces, that would save me having to dig through boxes to measure them. :)

I don't wanna waste your time, I'd rather wait until I find a way to get anything printed. For some strange reason it seems much easier to find a service to print tiles directly (but at a high price), rather than decals.

Hi Anothergol,

Just registered to congratulate you, another 40yo guy playing LEGO... :classic:

This is an awesome work & I decided to build it from your model.

Can't wait to see the mods you did with second version

Gil

Got the first version together, but keeping it up straight is a total nightmare...

Here's the key, first pose the legs alone (no weight problem, that's easy).

Then place the head, hold it with one hand, and place 2 fingers of the other hand on each foot, right next to the ball joints. Now, pivot the whole thing back & forth until you align with the center of gravity (you will feel it when it won't wanna fall forwards or backwards), and let it go.

After a long struggle finally got it standing up xD Needed to fix the head and legs countless times in the process tho...

13zqs61.jpg

Update... After falling down for three more times just added the stand :P Much better now :D

2016-02-25%2010.52.55.jpg

Edited by KillerRu

Have you really used brand new balljoints? I've had 2 of them on their legs for months now, they won't move. Do you know if yours fell because of the foot or neck joints?