efferman

42043 - MB Arocs 3245 Mods and Improvements

On 8/10/2016 at 7:18 AM, agrof said:

Hi all!

Long time ago I made also small changes on the cab, I love this model, and think it is still the best Technic set ever.

The only thing I couldn't understand from the beginning, why to use so many small pieces in the cab design, they just ruin the smooth appearance, which is so well done on the rest of the truck. As the B-model uses the very same cabin design, I have still no idea of the background. I used 5x11 panels, and slightly modified door design.

Long story short: I built these changes immadiately at first time, and to be honest it was like nothing, and also no influence on structural stability.

Another changes: I replaced couple parts to black ones on the "lights", to get more visible the original reflector area of the Arocs.

Really nice modifications, it makes the cab look much more clean.

Edited by evortigosa

On 6/16/2016 at 9:18 PM, Rishab N said:

Double post, but here are my Arocs modifications

I lowered the truck by a stud and I think it looks a lot better. It loses some up and down travel, but side to side still works fine. I also lowered the second mudguard by a stud as that is more accurate to the real life truck; however, it results in the wheel colliding with the mudguard when the suspension is compressed, and the wheels are at their max angle. Added a few cosmetic modifications too. The crane looks very out of scale, so I may attempt to change that next.

I also changed out the suspension for the front axle as it was too hard. Putting one soft spring(From the 8448) resulted in the front sagging a little, so I doubled the springs and it works perfectly

Indeed your solution makes the truck better and smoother. Can you show more detailed pictures or some instructions and part list? Sure I wanna try this lowering :)

8 hours ago, evortigosa said:

Indeed your solution makes the truck better and smoother. Can you show more detailed pictures or some instructions and part list? Sure I wanna try this lowering :)

Unfortunately do not have the modification. I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it, I think it was that it gave the back wheels nearly no travel. So I converted it back, and haven't really had time to try again

11 hours ago, Rishab N said:

Unfortunately do not have the modification. I don't remember exactly what was wrong with it, I think it was that it gave the back wheels nearly no travel. So I converted it back, and haven't really had time to try again

Sadly :/
I will try something 

Hi @evortigosa,

I also don't remember how I did, but I encourage You just try and build, as I remember it was a bloody simple MOD. :wink:

Once You finished, every picture is welcome here! Have fun!

Hi @agrof 

Have you had any problem with sollution you have used, as in the case of Rishab and the back wheels  ?

Thank you!

As mentioned, I didn't noticed any problem with this cosmetical change, not even in structural stability (see: the cabin was still rigid enough).

One hint: just try to fix the parts in every directions by beams and/or pins, don't be afraid of trial and error. :wink:

My Arocs and Volvo L350F, I got them for Xmas from my wife and mum.

I've built the Arocs a model and then built it into the b model, I've done a few little modifications to it, it is rc drives and steers, and on the b model the landing legs on the trailer operate. 

20161231_180804_1.jpg

20161231_180827.jpg

20170116_130926.jpg

20170115_184504.jpg

20170115_184458.jpg

A few videos of it in action, sorry it was filmed by my 7yo daughter so not the best quality.

I'm thinking of making it into a 6 wheel tipper next.

23 hours ago, Matt888 said:

I'm thinking of making it into a 6 wheel tipper next.

Or a trailer with a dumping bed. I don't know if you have seen this truck by the fantastic builder pipasseyoyo on Brickshelf, but it seems to me that his trailer would be a nice addition to an Arocs tractor:

dscn1302.jpg

Hi you all,

Just bought the Arocs as a new beginner  to build it with my wife.

I like all the improvements shown here and by reading a lot i hope to mod my set as well. There is a lot of information to be found and i've seen a few youtube movies with the divers mod's for RC driving and steering.

But first i have te buy me some extra pieces to be able to improve the model. I'd like to lower it a bit and to RC it, and with that said i also have a question about the RC handset's.

I noticed that there are a few diverent one's, wich one has the best functions??

And the other question i have is, wich motor to use for the driving mod? L or XL??

Thanks and by the way my name is Bas and i'm from Holland ;-)

Edited by BasvanO

Hi everyone! 

As we know, 42043 has a modular construction. The chassis can be splitted into three main parts and it is really nice, but when you hold the truck, it bends a little bit.

For this reason, I decided to reinforce the structure of the chassis. Also, the front steering system is clever, but it was badly executed. The frontal block of chassis and suspension is a mess.

My chassis modification makes the construction more clean and structurally rigid. I liked it !! I also projected a lowering. Original suspension is too high and a bit anti-aesthetic. After chassis modification, the lowering was easy.

I just changed the four Dark Bluish Gray Technic Liftarm 3 x 5 L-Shape Thick with four Dark Bluish Gray Technic Liftarm 2 x 4 L-Shape Thick and then set the shock absorvers, in front suspension. I also rebuilt the path of the axle that rotate the engine. Rear suspension was not a big issue, too.

I do not built the lowering solution yet. But, here are a snapshot and the LDD file, for those who wants to follow my steps. Suspension lowered looks a lot better and more realistic.

32973083555_b95086e762_b.jpg

42043 Lower Mercedes-Benz Arocs by Evandro Ortigossa, on Flickr

Side by side view with lowered and normal Arocs:

32158416083_c99d3f83dd_b.jpg

42043 Lower x Normal - Front View by Evandro Ortigossa, on Flickr

32129445304_8d172e4934_b.jpg

42043 Lower x Normal - Rear View by Evandro Ortigossa, on Flickr

Remember, it is still a WIP, once I do not implemented over the set yet, I just spent a few hours (or days hehehe) projecting on LDD, but I believe that it's promissing.

Real pictures, suggestions and more improvements are welcome! Feel free to provide your feedback.

As you can see, I slightly mod the cabin and crane, following some tips that you can find here ;)

PS. Here is the LDD without suspension lowering, just chassis improvement.

Edited by evortigosa

Hey guys, 

I got the Arocs today in the mail, and I finished it today, took about 5 hours to build.  I have already take off the boom and dumper with plans to build the B model trailer and modify the main truck.  

Couple of comments on the truck it self.  

Sure the steering is a new clever method, but in my opinion I think it is very flimsy and not as strong as your tradition steering rack and gearing.  That will be the first thing I change.

The scale of the truck seems to be bigger the b-model logging truck (also cabover style truck), but it uses the same wheels.  The Acros looks like a lifted truck that did not have the budget for bigger wheels and tires after the lift was installed.  I will be lowing the truck (maybe getting rid of the suspension) and hopefully that makes it look a little better.  

Overall the build was fun, I have not bought a set since 42030 so I got a lot of new to me pieces that I forgot about.  Also this was my first pneumatic set, so now I have that to mess around with.  

If anyone has thoughts on lowering the truck or how to strengthen the steering, I would love to hear what you have to say.  

Thanks, happy building

Hello guys,

I bought the 42043 model, and already mount the A-model, can someone tell what need to made it RC? For now I just want the drIving option (not full RC that I saw in some youtube videos).

Thanks

19 minutes ago, brucan said:

Hello guys,

I bought the 42043 model, and already mount the A-model, can someone tell what need to made it RC? For now I just want the drIving option (not full RC that I saw in some youtube videos).

Thanks

Check this video he tells you step by step how to make it RC. If I remember rightly it cost me about £60 for all the parts to make mine RC and I already had the controllers.

https://youtu.be/O8easq7ueIo

So I don't know where to post this, but I am buidling set 42043. I'm still on the first part, but right away this model seems to be flawed. Is it normal to have so much friction in the dummy engine drive train? I turn the final 20t beige gear at the end of the drivetrain and the friction is insane! I kept everything loose, as well as tried to level the axle holders using friction to stay straight. But nothing works. I tried to play with the two universal joints in the drivetrain but it isn't helping. Can someone help me?

3 minutes ago, sama said:

So I don't know where to post this, but I am buidling set 42043. I'm still on the first part, but right away this model seems to be flawed. Is it normal to have so much friction in the dummy engine drive train? I turn the final 20t beige gear at the end of the drivetrain and the friction is insane! I kept everything loose, as well as tried to level the axle holders using friction to stay straight. But nothing works. I tried to play with the two universal joints in the drivetrain but it isn't helping. Can someone help me?

Without seeing pictures I would say you have definitely gone wrong somewhere because the engine on mine spun really free.

1 hour ago, Matt888 said:

Without seeing pictures I would say you have definitely gone wrong somewhere because the engine on mine spun really free.

I don't have time to upload pictures sorry. But I disassembled the axles and found out the friction is actually in the i6 dummy engine. And because it's geared 3:1 from the drivetrain to the fake engine, the friction feels alot harder. It turns freely, but not smoothly. I double checked everything and it is correct. I suppose once the model is done, the weight will help create momentum and make the model easier to push. I'll jut finish building it as is. Thanks for your input though.

The engine should be easy to turn even with 100:1.  If it moves hard with 3:1, something is certainly wrong.  Remove the engine and check it carefully.

8 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

I would suspect piston rods to be mounted wrong - this part:

2852.png

I checked through everything. I opened up the whole model, then rebuilt it. And the situation is the same. I don't mean to act all nit picky, but it just isn't as smooth as I would like it to be, maybe I am just spoiled. My first flagship was infact model 8110 Unimog, and that vehicle was so smooth, I push it once and it won't stop rolling until it hit a wall! But I can attribute that success to the fact that it only has 4 cylinders pushing up and down again the cylinder wall reducing friction, and a well fortified drivetrain. Model 42043 Arocs has alot of these friction pin holes with axles running through them >> 87082.png And because they are held by friction and not any solid axle or fortified beams, they can be rotated about its center point. The moment the center pin hold isn't leveled with the ground, it will twist or push on an axle going through, increasing friction by just that little bit. Also this model chassis is built in 3 stages, and then you combine the stages together. The first( engine) and second (gearbox) part of the model aren't very solid, introducing flex. This flex usually bends some axles which in turn creates more friction and just makes the situation worse. And then also, I don't know why they didn't secure the final beige 20t gear at the bottom of the chassis (part of the drivetrain), it just hangs of off a beam with its axle only secured by 1L of length...it just hangs there connected by a very loose and extendable drivetrain that goes to the rear axles. I wouldn't blame the fact that it has 6 cylinders for friction, because 8258 Crane Truck had 8, yet it rolled along like butter. I know what you are thinking, oh this guy is so picky and a snob, but I always looks at the small details for perfections and imperfections. For example the fact that this model has dually wheels makes me very happy. Also the fact that they use flat round 1x1 tiles instead of 1x1 round studs for lights is also amazing, just makes it looks more polished.