efferman

42043 - MB Arocs 3245 Mods and Improvements

Would it be feasible to make the 42043 8x8, so including front wheel drive? Could that work with the current suspension setup and axle width?

Would it be feasible to make the 42043 8x8, so including front wheel drive? Could that work with the current suspension setup and axle width?

The front axles should be completely re-designed but keeping the same concept! It's hard, but none said it's impossible!

i may try that if i get the 42043 myself

In the different 42043 topics there have been quick some remarks about the crane arm not being able to become straight. I wasn't all that satisfied with it either.

So I started working on improving that. This is the best I could do with in this design.

19727806724_02b5684f32_c.jpg

42043 Crane MOD by Barry Bosman, on Flickr

I also made a simple modification to get the full extension of the crane arm. Yes it is bulky. You can choose for yourself if you want looks of functionality.

I also lowered the height of the crane by 2 studs in the base, just to make it look better sitting behind the cabin. I haven't tested this, but I think this is going to be difficult to do because of the many hoses. You need to shorten them by 2 studs, if you want to.

Because LDD has no pneunatics, the dark bluish gray bushes are the hose connector parts. Also any black axles 3L are meant to be the new black 2L axle with pin.

For those who want the use these or just some modifications, here is the LDD-file

Let me know what you think, so I can further improve the crane.

There's a contest on LUGPol, about building truck with cab from 42043. So far I have rebuilt cab in red and added set of lights on the top of the cab.

Looking good in red!

Are you going to build a snow plow truck? :classic:

Looking good in red!

Are you going to build a snow plow truck? :classic:

And you have guessed that because ...? :)

And you have guessed that because ...? :)

Was I correct? :look:

Looking at the two lights (1x2 transclear plates) just below the windscreen. Typical of snowplows, as the plow blocks the regular main lights? :blush:

Was I correct? :look:

Looking at the two lights (1x2 transclear plates) just below the windscreen. Typical of snowplows, as the plow blocks the regular main lights? :blush:

Aha :)

OK something more:

20182275140_d873128e22_c.jpg

Arocs in Red by Marek Markiewicz, on Flickr

Plow is operated by two pneumatic cylinders, small for tilting and large for raising.

It will be not put on frame from set, I need different setup of axles and pneumatic routing.

Edited by M_longer

Looking very nice indeed! Can't wait to see more of this one. Will the finished truck still be 4-axles?

Btw; that small L580 in your Flickr looks pretty damn nice as well! :thumbup:

Looking very nice indeed! Can't wait to see more of this one. Will the finished truck still be 4-axles?

Yes, it will. I am going to use 3+1 configuration, with liftable second axle. Something like this:

sisu%20works.jpg

Btw; that small L580 in your Flickr looks pretty damn nice as well! :thumbup:

Thank you. It has its own topic here on Eurobricks:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112080

Everyone abuse TLG for often use of red color... and when they come with white cabin people like more red... :D

But it looks great in red... Maybe because everywhere are images of white Arocs... :)

Max...

Red does look very good for this truck.TLC made a good choice making the set cabin white. With the red crane a red cabin would be to much.

The sun-bar and extra lights look good. I think I might use this on mine. Thanks for the instructions.

This is really cool, M_longer. It will be very interesting to follow your work!

Hello Marek,

Little off topic, but how are things going on instructions for the Volvo L250G???

Red does look very good for this truck.TLC made a good choice making the set cabin white. With the red crane a red cabin would be to much.

The sun-bar and extra lights look good. I think I might use this on mine. Thanks for the instructions.

I'd love to see that set with Orange cab. It is possible to build it in orange, because all needed parts were produced over past years in Orange. But some of them (like connectors) are very expensive.

Due to few specific pieces (panels mostly) there are only few (white, red, black) possibilities to have cab built in single colour. Other colours, like green, blue and yellow would require some major rebuild in the cabin structure, and replacement of some parts.

This is why I decided to go with Red this time.

Hello Marek,

Little off topic, but how are things going on instructions for the Volvo L250G???

Quite good :)

19648488200_16d08ecd57_c.jpg

MLCad model is missing PF wires, and whole instruction needs editing, because it is just a raw file with steps. I think that it will be ready for September.

Edited by M_longer

well, the movingrange of the main and second boom is improved and the column is 3 studs lower

btw some mudguard modifications

20386406542_c57661a4f0_c.jpg

20368730366_6b80e60daa_c.jpg

Edited by efferman

This is what I have been planning:

el5rmb.jpg

Still a bit crude and not so smooth, but it is still a WIP.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

In real life the last section (jib) folds up in opposite way... When I become my Arocs next week I try to place middle pneumatic valve on the top and try to make it as in real life or I do the same modification as Cumulonimbus did because I like the folded booms too... :)

IAA2014-Fassi-loader-crane-F145AZ.jpg

It seems that versions with bigger bucket remain bucket during transport just in the dump...

mercedes-arocs-3240-8x4-32t-tipper-grab-palfinger-hiab-crane-2.jpg

mercedes-arocs-3240-8x4-32t-tipper-grab-palfinger-hiab-crane-1.jpg

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

That is not Always true, I have driven a truck with a 11.2 ton crane, and it folded behind the cab.

But it is easier to leave it in the dumpbed, because folding it all the way back takes some time.

I would like to present my mod of this set. First, I turned the front wheels around and added dbg 1.5 pins to the pulley wheels.

42043_white_01.jpg

Also Made a red version with the front of the B model and the rear suspension from the A model.

42043_red_01.jpg42043_red_02.jpg42043_red_03.jpg

I plan to change the beaker lights to trans-orange and the rear wheel covers to dbg. Let me know what you think.

Glenn