Sign in to follow this  

Tags: Science, Octan, Civil, Vehicle, Ground Vehicle

// PERSONAL DIARY //

After last week's vehicle debacle I contacted one of our best engineers to help me procure a more suitable choice. Big Z is one of the finest engineers anywhere and he was very happy to help me out. I was going to be observing wildlife on Lesser Drigo and wanted something that would allow me to do so without scaring it off. I gave Big Z the general idea of what I'd be doing and where and he said no problem.

When we arrived in the hangar bay to load all of my science equipment and supplies I was ... surprised. "Subtle" was all ED-208 said. "This will certainly help us get around easily!" I cheerfully suggested. ED-208 stopped his inspection of our ride to suggest it would be for the best if he drove this time. I happily noted that it would be the most logical solution since I would need to focus on observing.

I wasn't sure what to name our new ride, ED-208 suggested the OCS Overcompensating, but I told him that made no sense since it was a land vehicle and not a ship. I thought I heard him mumble "And I'm the robot?" but that wouldn't make sense since he IS a robot. I finally suggested we call it the Long Range Explorer, I doubt anyone will realize why I named it that!

19554666871_3f381d4375_c.jpg

Dr. Long had been rather disappointed in my efforts last week to collect samples for the geology folks. I guess picking up random rocks isn't what they had hoped for. So this week I was going to be bringing along a drill to collect some core samples. She said that we needed to establish how the planet had formed to better grasp where the water pockets were. I feel like she was in an unusually bad mood, so I wanted to be extra diligent this week to make her happy.

For my own scientific pursuits I had 2 biocontainment units with lichen. One would be used as the control while the other would be exposed to Lesser Drigo's atmosphere and insect life to observe the interaction. It would be very exciting if I could present my findings to Dr. Long and hopefully earn back some of the trust she had placed in me after my failings last week. Maybe I could find a new scorpion species, I know she is very interested in them!

I was glad that Dr. Long still cared enough about me to allow ED-208 to continue to stay with me. He, well I guess being a robot there is no gender but since it had a male voice I thought of it as "him", made things less lonely. Plus I felt better having someone around to keep an eye out and protect me. At times I become lost in thought and can fail to see danger. For instance last week before heading to Lesser Drigo I'd been on Jurin II and nearly walked off the edge of a landing platform, but one of the engineers yelled at me at the last second. Fortunately Dr. Long wasn't there at the time and she even let me fetch John Hannibal's ship which was quite an honor! I think it was her subtle way of getting me noticed by another Exec since she knows how capable I am.

I sure hope my hectic schedule slows down a bit soon so I can get back to my drone work. ED-208 would likely be a great assistant with that too. With my pal ED-208 by my side, we can do some really great stuff for Octan. And we can make Dr. Long really proud of us.

More pics:

Travel mode

19524269696_655a84bb79_c.jpg

Core sample drill deployed

19363882959_6140dba201_c.jpg

Doors open

19362452430_44b0d85aa1_c.jpg

Sweet truck! Though the drill somewhat resembles a weapon array more than any drill I've seen... :look:

Yeah, it was tough, I was going for the parts that you attach as you drill deeper into the ground. Alas Lego doesn't really have the best options to portray that.

Very cool truck! I might have connected the extra pipes to the truck itself to separate them from the unit, but I really like the thought.

I like the size compared to the bulkiness of the vehicle. Seems very solid.

Awesome truck. That front end means business!

Very cool truck! I might have connected the extra pipes to the truck itself to separate them from the unit, but I really like the thought.

Same here. However, I really like that this detail was thought of in the build. Great job! :thumbup:

I appreciate the feedback on the pipes. It is a struggle sometimes to translate what my minds-eye sees into a Lego form that is more universally recognized. I try to have the story fill in the gaps. :laugh:

I really like the front of the truck. I think the domes could be integrated better, right now they just look like they're thrown on, but I do understand how hard it is to get those pieces to look right.