TheBrickPal

Mixels 2016 Discussion

I'm not going to complain. It had three good years, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the usual length for the average Lego theme.

Plus, I'm running out of shelf space for my Mixels...

I think a lot of the catalogs on the 2016 end have been omitting Mixels for some reason? Like, a few still have them, and show off the remainder 2016 Mixels?

Like, here's the Australian catalog, and they have the 2016 Mixels.

It all seems to depend on the catalog, a lot have been missing Mixels for some reason, but some do have the 2016 ones?

>Mixels

>Constraction

>Greentexting where greentexting doesn't work :tongue:

Constraction = construction + action figure

so it works

TBH I don't think any form of constraction is continuing next year.

I see no reason why the Star Wars buildable figures would not continue, because everything I've heard suggests those have been selling well. Additionally, multiple LEGO employees have confirmed that constraction is continuing, so I don't see any reason to worry about that.

No constraction at all? Not even Star Wars? I thought those were doing well... they were actually getting restocked at stores in my area, unlike the 1H2016 Bionicle sets. Ah well, maybe my Target will bother to carry some more Technic sets this way. They're awfully inconsistent... sometimes they have a lot, sometimes they have a lot of empty shelves with Technic tags, and at Christmastime last year the only Technic set they had was some motorcycle...

We can hope something surfaces in summer 2017 or 2018.

EDIT: Saw Aanchir's post. Star Wars is better than nothing...

Edited by PicnicBasketSam

I see no reason why the Star Wars buildable figures would not continue, because everything I've heard suggests those have been selling well. Additionally, multiple LEGO employees have confirmed that constraction is continuing, so I don't see any reason to worry about that.

Well for a start we heard that about G2 and look what happened.

Thing is the waves for constraction as a whole are constantly getting smaller, even Star Wars is cut down to just three constraction sets. Granted that could be just a Ninjago situation again but it doesn't bode well IMO given the success of basic system in recent years.

To be cynical I doubt we'll see constraction again now that system's popular. Think about it the only reason they kept to Bionicle for so long was because it made money, much more as compared to system at the time, but it came at a cost of constantly bringing out new molds. With system you can sorta get away with a lack of molds because of the sheer versatility of the brick, whereas with constraction new molds are expected, with only a marginal profit to be made after factoring in mold costs and apparently disappointing sales. It's more profitable to invest in system than carry on trying to please the constraction fanbase.

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe

Thing is the waves for constraction as a whole are constantly getting smaller, even Star Wars is cut down to just three constraction sets. Granted that could be just a Ninjago situation again but it doesn't bode well IMO given the success of basic system in recent years.

To be cynical I doubt we'll see constraction again now that system's popular. Think about it the only reason they kept to Bionicle for so long was because it made money, much more as compared to system at the time, but it came at a cost of constantly bringing out new molds. With system you can sorta get away with a lack of molds because of the sheer versatility of the brick, whereas with constraction new molds are expected, with only a marginal profit to be made after factoring in mold costs and apparently disappointing sales. It's more profitable to invest in system than carry on trying to please the constraction fanbase.

Take another look at the second sentence from the post you quoted. Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, the CEO of the company, said in an interview earlier this year that the LEGO Group is going to be doing more with the CCBS in the future. Kim Thomsen, the community manager, mentioned to me in person at BrickFair that constraction is still continuing. I believe I've also seen posts from other people involved in constraction making claims to the same effect. I see no reason to doubt any of them on that matter.

If Mixels is truly over. I'm perfectly fine with it. we have a total of 81 different Mixels anyways. I do wish we got more unique colored tribes like Gold or Pink Mixels. But this was the third year for the line and Lego does plan there lines for at least 3 years. Maybe Mixels isn't selling as well. Especially since the cartoon has gone from multiple short episodes in year 1 to two half hour episodes in years 2 and 3.

Edited by Takanuinuva

If Mixels is truly over. I'm perfectly fine with it. we have a total of 81 different Mixels anyways. I do wish we got more unique colored tribes like Gold or Pink Mixels. But this was the third year for the line and Lego does plan there lines for at least 3 years. Maybe Mixels isn't selling as well. Especially since the cartoon has gone from multiple short episodes in year 1 to two half hour episodes in years 2 and 3.

The bit with the cartoon isn't LEGO's fault, though. That's all the fault of CN, since they're fully on the animation half of the team-up, which is a real shame, because it was only now showing the best potential with the longer episodes.

Edited by ZootyCutie

Take another look at the second sentence from the post you quoted. Jorgen Vig Knudstorp, the CEO of the company, said in an interview earlier this year that the LEGO Group is going to be doing more with the CCBS in the future. Kim Thomsen, the community manager, mentioned to me in person at BrickFair that constraction is still continuing. I believe I've also seen posts from other people involved in constraction making claims to the same effect. I see no reason to doubt any of them on that matter.

I don't want to start something. I'm merely making a point that I don't really have much trust, and that a lot of constraction recently is clearly being downscaled. Besides the constantly diminishing waves of Hero Factory, Chima figures were Europe exclusive in their second year, Star Wars hasn't had any large figures since Grievous or Darth Vader. We may see more done with CCBS but I just don't see it in pure constraction, not for a long time.

I don't want to start something. I'm merely making a point that I don't really have much trust, and that a lot of constraction recently is clearly being downscaled. Besides the constantly diminishing waves of Hero Factory, Chima figures were Europe exclusive in their second year, Star Wars hasn't had any large figures since Grievous or Darth Vader. We may see more done with CCBS but I just don't see it in pure constraction, not for a long time.

What's the price point on the droid guy from Rogue One? He seemed pretty big to me, albeit far less bulky than Vader or Grievous. Overall, I think the smaller size of sets for The Force Awakens and Rogue One, and the smaller number of sets for Rogue One, has less to do with the Star Wars buildable figures not selling well and more to do with what the movies themselves have to offer. None of the major characters from The Force Awakens were as huge and imposing as Vader or Grievous, besides Snoke, who seems to have been consciously omitted from its merchandise. I'm not aware of any Rogue One characters who are that huge either, besides the aforementioned droid.

And while there are only half as many Rogue One buildable figures as previous waves, there are also fewer playsets than there were for the launch of The Force Awakens, which suggests to me that LEGO simply doesn't expect this movie to move merchandise at the same rate that Episode 7 did. It's the same with the Marvel Super Heroes theme: some movies (Avengers, Iron Man 3, Avengers 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America 3) got three to six playsets, others (Ant-Man, Doctor Strange) only got one apiece, and still others (Thor 2, Captain America 2) didn't get any at all. In a popular theme that is already crowded with tie-ins from TV and previous movies, LEGO has to be selective about how many sets they dedicate to any one new movie.

Feeling apprehensive in the wake of Bionicle's cancellation is understandable. But assuming that high-ranking LEGO employees would lie about constraction continuing starts to feel less like normal skepticism and more like pure cynicism.

What's the price point on the droid guy from Rogue One?

25€/$, like the other sets. But this is off-topic. :wink:

Oh, I wasn't even aware of the new Star Wars Constraction Sets yet!

To be on-topic, I wouldn't mind the Mixels disappearing if we actually get more System sets incorporating the Mixel Joints. Maybe small canister sets again, featuring stuff like animals, robots or the like?

EDIT: Regarding the catalog, I find it funny that the Australian one omits the Bionicle sets - those are present in the German catalog.

My local LEGO store got at least some of the Series 8 Mixels, but both Series 8 and 9 are absent from the German catalog. I believe there was also some sort of rumor about how the later waves won't be released everywhere. Seems like that rumor is actually true. :hmpf_bad:

Edited by ZORK64

I gotta ask...how trustful is the LEGO Facebook on stuff like this? Is it pretty much PR stuff? Since someone sent in something that they responded it "won't be ending anytime soon", while we still have S9 to go...so should the LEGO Facebook be taken with a grain of salt on the truth?

I gotta ask...how trustful is the LEGO Facebook on stuff like this? Is it pretty much PR stuff? Since someone sent in something that they responded it "won't be ending anytime soon", while we still have S9 to go...so should the LEGO Facebook be taken with a grain of salt on the truth?

I would think that they wouldn't know anything about when a theme might end.

That reply they gave was pretty clear, nothing ambiguous at all, which makes me think they actually know something.

Which means good news to me, because I'm stil waiting for

Sports tribe

Horror Monsters tribe

Christmas/Holiday tribe

Islanders tribe

Western tribe

Well, we DID get proof that this upcoming episode WILL be the last one...so I guess that says the same for the theme in general, too?

Well, we DID get proof that this upcoming episode WILL be the last one...so I guess that says the same for the theme in general, too?

Not necessarily. I mean, Legends of Chima had a full year of sets after its series concluded. Mind you, Mixels may be a slightly different case as a co-production by Lego and Cartoon Network, but that doesn't necessarily mean the sets couldn't outlast the series.

Yeah, it's the LEGO/CN thing that's getting it iffy...since CN also has to design the bags for the franchise, they create the static art.