Rick

2016 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Maybe the biggest mistake Lego are making is not putting "you are allowed to make your own creations" right on the box.

Well, they did make a whole movie to adress that issue, more or less...

But then again: you need something to spark the imagination. If Lego kind of seems stuck on two or three themes and rarely strays from that path, it's possible that some kids (young and old) have a hard time to break that mould themselves. And if all you've got is a whole load of white, blue and red bricks, it's sometimes hard to make something not look like it's fire or police-related...

In the end I'm with you. Lego provides the ultimate way to do it yourself if they don't deliver what you want. Cross those themes and bash those sets. Unless. offcourse, you have glued them together (literally or figuratively - ie: in your mind).

They've all degenerated into yearly firehouses/police stations, with all the accessory sets, the one big City town square/city builder set (like this year's 60098, the seasonal special theme, and then three or four actual city/town buildings thrown into the mix with minimal effort.

So, there aren't any city buildings, with the exception of all the city buildings? There are also modulars and increasing types of buildings in Creator especially in the last two years; I don't see how a few snack bars or fix-it shops from two decades in the 80s and 90s are significantly different.

We need more truck stops, bus stations, restaurants, post offices. Just give us something semi decent, we're all getting tired of the constant barrage of duplicate sets. We only need a new one every four years or so, kids aren't gonna miss out on receiving a firehouse every year.

I get there are others who share this point of view, but I don't, so when I read comments like this, I hear "I want this, I need that, LEGO should give me what I want". (EDIT: beaten to the punch by AndyTheNorth).

Personally I think the proposed 2016 sets are worth looking forward to. I'm particularly interested in the small speedboat set - it's at a price that means there could be more going on than the 34-element 4641 from 2011 (which was still a fun little set).

Edited by GregoryBrick

This was an absolute favourite when I was a kid, spent so long posting letters in the box on the outside and then opening it inside the building. Mind blown. But if this was in the current Lego line, some AHOLs would be all over it with "omfg, what is this excuse for a building? Lego is dying, my collection is worthless".

http://brickset.com/...2-1/Post-Office

6362-1.jpg

Topic: derailed, again. *oh2*

To be fair to the perspective of some AHOLs, the 2015 line up on the Lego store right now contains almost zero buildings that aren't police or fire related. It's not so much "Lego City" as "Lego Parking Lot". :wink: But eh, I have short fuse for AHOLs using 'we' to project their personal wish list as being for everyone. My kids couldn't care less what those people want.

Edited by andythenorth

To be fair to the perspective of some AHOLs, the 2015 line up on the Lego store right now contains almost zero buildings that aren't police or fire related. It's not so much "Lego City" as "Lego Parking Lot". :wink: But eh, I have short fuse for AHOLs using 'we' to project their personal wish list as being for everyone. My kids couldn't care less what those people want.

What is a AHOL ?

Not what I think it is I hope... :wacko:

Or do you mean AFOL ?

Edited by Legocitycustoms

This forum is full of fans whining whining whining about Lego haven't made me this and Lego haven't made me that. Maybe the biggest mistake Lego are making is not putting "you are allowed to make your own creations" right on the box.

Serious question -- how do you tell when someone is "whining," and when someone is just "disagreeing?" I've read through this whole thread, and haven't seen anything I would characterize as whining. Just different people sharing their (something differing) opinions. You know ... having a discussion. Like "grown-men-babies" do sometimes.

Just curious.

This was an absolute favourite when I was a kid, spent so long posting letters in the box on the outside and then opening it inside the building. Mind blown. But if this was in the current Lego line, some AHOLs would be all over it with "omfg, what is this excuse for a building? Lego is dying, my collection is worthless".

http://brickset.com/...2-1/Post-Office

6362-1.jpg

Topic: derailed, again. *oh2*

thanks for this post - I had completely forgotten I had this set, and came flooding back when you posted this - like you, I loved it, though looks so basic now. The wee yellow postbox was great.

Some people just give a bad name to this forum.. guess you're going to have stubborn, opinionated, trigger happy people wherever you go.

Back on the topic, 2016 looks good with prison island. Might just get something cool. Hopefully not like swamp police. Jangbricks gave the whole theme away to charity haha.

Agreed. I'm excited to see more original buildings, and prison island seems cool. It'll be the first police set since 7899 that I've gotten.

WTF :classic:

Building your own Lego creations is now kit-bashing? :ugh: You have to cross the themes? :enough:

This isn't HO model railroading or Playmobil. It's a construction toy. All the bricks fit together in endless ways. All of them.

This forum is full of fans whining whining whining about Lego haven't made me this and Lego haven't made me that. Maybe the biggest mistake Lego are making is not putting "you are allowed to make your own creations" right on the box.

Whining mindless unimaginative over-grown men-babies with too much money to spend "collecting" a children's toy. Seriously.

Look at me, hero of arguing on the internet. :knight:

I wholeheartedly agree with you there, I am rather tired of those people who seem to be bereft of any form of imagination or creativity, LEGO is the most adaptable constuction medium available on the market yet so many people are unable to grasp that concept. I tend to spend a lot less time here these days due to having to deal with grown men moaning and groaning about LEGO not satisfying their whims and fancies, they wonder why they are a point of ridicule by other members within the AFOL community.

What is a AHOL ?

Adult Hobbyist of LEGO and it is meant to sound rude.

The first time I heard the term was at BrickCon from Aaron Dayman back in 2011. Not sure if he coined the phrase or someone in the group of builders he was hanging out with.

I tend to spend a lot less time here these days due to having to deal with grown men moaning and groaning about LEGO not satisfying their whims and fancies,

I suppose that's the way how some people are...

Whining mindless unimaginative over-grown men-babies with too much money to spend "collecting" a children's toy. Seriously.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there, I am rather tired of those people who seem to be bereft of any form of imagination or creativity, LEGO is the most adaptable constuction medium available on the market yet so many people are unable to grasp that concept. I tend to spend a lot less time here these days due to having to deal with grown men moaning and groaning about LEGO not satisfying their whims and fancies, they wonder why they are a point of ridicule by other members within the AFOL community.

I, for one, am so grateful that we have these guys around to call us names, and condescendingly tell the rest of what we're doing wrong as fans! To think that the previous 10 pages of friendly, spirited, mostly polite discussion was entirely the wrong sort of fandom! Who knew?!?! So, thank you guys, for setting us straight!

Get this thread back on topic.

I don't want to see a friendly discussion about 2016 City sets turn into an argument. Let everybody enjoy the hobby in their own way and let everyone express their opinion. However, when posting your opinion, please be respectful.

Thank you all for your cooperation.

Me too. I won't pass judgement until I've seen the sets IRL, but it seems there's a few pretty good buildings from the bits and pieces I've heard in the thread.

Personally I would like to see more civillian orientated sets within the City theme but I know this is not going to happen, City relies heavily on some sort of "action play" taking place, in many respects it is an unwritten story which is created by the child as they interact with the set or sets that they have built. These stories revolve around heroic action or some form activity requiring strength, be it chasing robbers, racing to the scene of a fire or driving a piece of machinery on a construction site, for the target audience going to the supermarket or posting a letter does not provide the same level of action or excitement. This is where the Creator and Juniors themes step in, both of them can be easily intergrated with the City theme whilst at the same time appeal to a broader demographic compared to City's core target market, Creator Expert takes it that step further with providing more detailed and realistic models that appeal to an adult audience.

When you look at the big picture LEGO has to tread that fine line of providing a product that is appealing and commercially viable, this includes providing sets that have a price point that ensures that the products will sell rather than sit on the shelves collecting dust. You also have to take into consideration the fact that there is a middleman in this picture, that is the parent or another adult family member or friend of the family that is purchasing the product, the vast bulk of LEGO sales have to be able to pass that test as most children are not directly purchasing the sets themselves. This is a point that is neglected by most AFOL's as they seem to forget that as adults they can go and directly purchase the sets, sometimes at the discretion of the "other half" when we want to purchase some of the more expensive sets such as Creator Expert or Train sets. I see both sides of the equation as a parent and as an AFOL, there are quiet a number of times where I question the size and pricing of a set and think how many parents would go out and spend $100 to $200 on a LEGO set, the City Square set is a classic example where it would definitely appeal to an AFOL who could justify it's cost, but to an average mum or dad it is a very expensive set.

Edited by Steinkopf

Looking at the descriptions, I must say that the Police sets in this wave sound amazing, in particular the Tire Escape, Prison Island and Starter Set. I want that hot air balloon!

The Fire sets don't particularly interest me, maybe once more pictures are released I'll change my mind. However, the new stud shooter looks good.

Some 2016 images already found in LEGO.com cache

60109 Fire Boat

60109-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60110 Fire Station

60110-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60111 Fire Utility Truck

60111-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60112 Fire Engine

60112-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60114 Race Boat

60114-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60127 Prison Island Starter Set

60127-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60128 Police Pursuit

60128-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60129 Police Patrol Boat

60129-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60130 Prison Island

60130-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60131 Crooks Island

60131-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60109 Fire Boat

60109-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60110 Fire Station

60110-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60111 Fire Utility Truck

60111-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60112 Fire Engine

60112-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60114 Race Boat

60114-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60127-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60128 Police Pursuit

60128-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60129 Police Patrol Boat

60129-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60130 Prison Island

60130-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60131 Crooks Island

60131-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60109 Fire Boat

60109-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60110 Fire Station

60110-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60111 Fire Utility Truck

60111-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60112 Fire Engine

60112-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60114 Race Boat

60114-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60127-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60128 Police Pursuit

60128-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60129 Police Patrol Boat

60129-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60130 Prison Island

60130-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

60131 Crooks Island

60131-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

You sir, deserve your title 150,000,000%

I think I might pick up the fire sets

Wow. I think I'll be skipping most of these except for 60112 Fire Engine and bricklinking the two vehicles from the fire station. A lot of the police sets look awful, especially 60128. Might as well just buy some generic toy car and truck from the dollar store instead of that set. Dare I say I see hints of juniorism in some of these sets?

Thanks for posting these.

Edited by Yeow