Rick

2016 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

It's really a shame that the Volcano line lacks a real base camp, with tents and/or a fixed building. Besides that, volcanoes come in more colours than grey, in more shapes than cones and spew materials other than lava. Sure, lava is the most exciting, but every set in this line is about drilling lava boulders. A mud volcano in dark tan, a geyser with a small hydrothermal installation, a volcanic field with lava streams or a shield volcano with a few tourists; all possibilities for a theme based around volcanoes.

I think those alternate sorts of volcanoes would have a hard time fitting in LEGO City for the same reason we're unlikely to ever see a Bright Yellow or Bright Yellowish Green fire engine in LEGO City: they don't fit the iconic image kids have of what those things are supposed to look like. Even if more variety is realistic, it's not authentic to how kids see those things in media.

Plus, having so many different types of volcanoes might make the theme less cohesive since you'd be somewhat unlikely to see that such varied geology all in extremely close proximity — with the current range it's easy to imagine all the volcano sets in one specific area of LEGO City, but to get as many types of volcanoes as you're describing they might have to be spread across a whole island chain or mountain range.

The lack of a base camp set could have to do with the fact that fixed volcano research stations are generally situated a bit of a distance from the volcanic activity (out of necessity; you wouldn't want a research center to be right in the path of an eruption), whereas mobile research stations can more easily get right up close to where the action is. A fixed research center would thus be a lot less appealing to kids than one with built-in action play potential.

It's really a shame that the Volcano line lacks a real base camp, with tents and/or a fixed building. Besides that, volcanoes come in more colours than grey, in more shapes than cones and spew materials other than lava. Sure, lava is the most exciting, but every set in this line is about drilling lava boulders. A mud volcano in dark tan, a geyser with a small hydrothermal installation, a volcanic field with lava streams or a shield volcano with a few tourists; all possibilities for a theme based around volcanoes.

Yes, yes & yes to all of this.

All the City sets except the Airport, and most of the Volcano things were at my Toys R Us. I got the Airport Starter Set, Cargo Plane, and Fun in the Park. Solid sets, I put them both In my town.

Most of the new creator and city sets will be available at the Lego store and lego.com tomorrow. I'm waiting until next weekend to get the Fun in the Park set at the Lego store so that I can get the free Captain America motorcycle.

Just finished putting together the fun in the park set. It's not worth the price but at the same time it is. It's an awesome selection of minifigs, the wheelchair is really cool and the baby is just too damn cute. The price is pretty crazy but I payed it and love the new torsos and face prints.

I will get more of these figures, but not another complete set.

I really dont understand why people say is not worth it. It sosts It costs 39.99$. One colectable Minifig costs 3.99$ So you get 10 CM for this price. While in the set you can find 14 classic Minifigures! Almost all are unique, so you can count them as CM in terms of price. And you get quite handfull pieces, baby and dog. So indeed this is one of those sets where price is really good.

And we can be sure this set price will skyrocket when it will be discontinued.

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I really dont understand why people say is not worth it. It sosts It costs 39.99$. One colectable Minifig costs 3.99$ So you get 10 CM for this price. While in the set you can find 14 classic Minifigures! Almost all are unique, so you can count them as CM in terms of price. And you get quite handfull pieces, baby and dog. So indeed this is one of those sets where price is really good.

The CMF prices are how me and my wife justified the set and the printing on most of the minifigs and some of the hair pieces are of CMF quality/rareness. Those are the reasons I'm really happy with the set. But I remember minifig town folks sets from the late 80's being way cheaper.

All in all, I do love the this set and want more of these figs, but not $80 for 2 sets love.

Okay who's made a freaky scooby doo headed baby already?

Edit: wooooow I had to go all of 1 page backwards for that? Disregard.

Edited by SpiderSpaceman

The CMF prices are how me and my wife justified the set and the printing on most of the minifigs and some of the hair pieces are of CMF quality/rareness. Those are the reasons I'm really happy with the set. But I remember minifig town folks sets from the late 80's being way cheaper.

All in all, I do love the this set and want more of these figs, but not $80 for 2 sets love.

They are $80NZD [around $55USD] a set, or they will be once released. I'm already planning on buying two.

Just finished putting together the fun in the park set. It's not worth the price but at the same time it is. It's an awesome selection of minifigs, the wheelchair is really cool and the baby is just too damn cute. The price is pretty crazy but I payed it and love the new torsos and face prints.

I will get more of these figures, but not another complete set.

Comparing the price to that of the CMFs, it's pretty equal. The builds in the set are nothing to rewrite home about. It's much like a large battle pack, bought for the figs. I didn't notice at first, but even the dog is new, print wise.

Thank you all very much for the many new pics and reviews! :classic:

The Fun in the Park set is definately one of the best sets TLG has ever been released! Of course it can't be denied that it's expensive. But on the other hand it includes that many new and amazing civilian torsos which we never would have gotten in this number in regular City sets. And if you bought 14 CMFs, you had to pay about the same price. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Btw: Only because TLG included a wheelchair in this set, this does not necessarily mean that we'll get a hospital theme in 2017. Of course it may be. But on the one hand we already now and then have seen a sign for something which then didn't become reality. On the other hand I of course would highly welcome a hospital theme, too - but only if TLG released a decent sized hospital with many rooms and great interior. Something that small like the last one from 2012 is only waste.

Klaus-Dieter

Went to the Lego store at Westfield (SB) today hoping to pick up Fun in the Park but sadly not yet in stock. A wasted journey as I also wanted a Brick Bank but decided against it as the deal for the statue park set doesn't start until June.

Not many useful parts in the build a fig stand either although for those interested they had

Spooky girl's teddy, a lumberjack axe, ice dancer torso, grey baseball cmf hat, werewolf hair, fairy's face...

Edited by lifeinplastic

Take the airport starter set for example, that's 4 MFs + 60ish pieces for $10. 4 start sets would cost $40 with 16 adult MFs (an extra joint and more plastics) + over 200 pieces.That's not to say it's necessarily better to buy the starter sets given the different pieces/MF included, but the profit margin on the Fun in the Park set is probably higher for Lego.

TLG is probably making a killing on collectible mini figures.

Having said that, the Fun in the Park set is sold out on S@H with in a day. :)

Edited by wgemini

Because after the CMF series ends the price of all the mini figures jumps up 2-5 times more in value because of special pieces. These are just City mini figures with slightly different prints that we will probably see else where next year.

I'm not saying it's horrible but a $30-$35 price point would be more fitting.

31052 (Vacation Getaways) is out on S@H. I am super excited about this one and would even rank it above the excellent hill side house. My only beef is there's no stairs to the second floor for the house. What do you guys think? Worth the entrance price or wait for sales?

Edited by wgemini

My target is running a sale of 20% off all Lego City (and minecraft, friends and Duplo) but I didn't see the new sets, or the couple of sets from the winter wave I mighta been interested in (caravan and tire escape). Shame, because the service station set would have been a much better price. With the additional 5% off from my red card it would have been $68.39 which is a price I'd be willing to pay for it.

I'm not sure if it was just my local target or if all of them are running this promo, but it's running online as well... I'm calling the other 2 that are close to me tomorrow, and checking their stock on the new sets.

I've checked a few of my local Target stores, none of them have the newest City sets. I was really hoping to find Fun at the Park, it would be about $30 with the RedCard.

The sale runs until Saturday so hopefully they will get them in before then, although the 20% sale could be on in order to clear out the older stuff and they won't end up stocking the new sets until it's over.

The Target I work out just got its toy area scanned (meaning we just scanned and filed the area for the new summer items) and I know we are supposed to be getting a large Lego shipment in sometime either next week or the week after.

I've checked a few of my local Target stores, none of them have the newest City sets. I was really hoping to find Fun at the Park, it would be about $30 with the RedCard.

The sale runs until Saturday so hopefully they will get them in before then, although the 20% sale could be on in order to clear out the older stuff and they won't end up stocking the new sets until it's over.

Probably.

I found the 'Fun in the Park' for € 37,95 and 'Octan Gas Station' for € 69,95 at MisterBricks in the Netherlands (Stiens). They also had the new Creator sets at discount

Has anyone seen these new sets (the park specifically) at Target stores? Do you know the DPCI?

EDIT - Didn't see the posts above.. maybe they're there by now?

Edited by CM4Sci

Has anyone seen these new sets (the park specifically) at Target stores? Do you know the DPCI?

EDIT - Didn't see the posts /above.. maybe they're there by now?

As of this morning 5/28/2016 there has been no updates and from what Ive been told in our store is that there isnt a DPCI for the park set in our system yet, as I had a guest today ask about that item, and it didnt show up in any of our local stores.