Rick

2016 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I guess Brickset has the gas station marked $90, and there is someone running around youtube pointing it out on every video of city 2016 sets. Doesn't make one bit of sense though, unless that is in Canadian dollars. Unlike the shuttle it doesn't even have any large pieces. I don't believe for a second that a City set with 515 pieces and 4 figs is going to cost $90. $50 or $60 is likely.

That is not worth $90.

Welcome to LEGO City, where have you been staying? :laugh:

Besides Star Wars, which has an excuse, City is the most outrageous pricing the last several years.

This has to be a mistake, right?

That has to like $60 or $70...

Edited by Robert8

Besides Star Wars, which has an excuse, City is the most outrageous pricing the last several years.

People always complain about outrageous pricing on licensed themes, including Star Wars, but City totally takes the cake for me. Star Wars is pricey, as in there's a lot of expensive sets, but in my opinion, they're good deals for the most part. City has no licensing fees, rarely any new moulds colors or prints for the figures, and they manage to still have a poor PPP ratio and seem to be overpriced. It's one thing to have expensive sets worth the price, but City has expensive sets not worth the price.

$90 for the Gas Station is friggin' ridiculous. :hmpf:

Edited by just2good

I had grand plans to get two and make a bigger gas station, but that price is too much for even one. I mean, maybe if I find them 50% off at Walmart, but mine's a small rural place and the selection tends to be really hit or miss.

Edited by Blitzismydog

I was excited for the gas station, but for 90 dollars - it will be an easy pass for me. It just does not look to be worth that much to me.

There are some really good value-for-money sets in the City line, like most of the Great Vehicles, but some sets seem way overpriced, especially the medium to large sets. I'm sure there's more to TLG's pricing strategy than pure price per piece. Some sets seem to get a high recommended price and then get discounted more heavily for the Holidays.

$90 for the gas station means it will cost even more in Australia, it was on my wishlist but not anymore :(

It depends on the part count, there are new torso designs plus three vehicles ;)

So 90 USD, fingers crossed for 100 AUD and then a 20% off sale at a major retailer will make it worth while (doesn't matter I'm still going to buy it).

I have read about $50-60 and I found it a bit expensive but acceptable/reasonable due to the content.

But $90 if very, very very overpriced.

There is also new torsos in junior sets, and some of them come into the $10 ones.

In Christmas you can find a city fire brigade or police station for €70 (for €90 in other seasons) and both have the double number of pieces and minifigs than the gas station.

Yo can buy an out of catalog modular building for the price of 2 gas stations.

Edited by El Garfio

I *NEVER* buy City sets, but I absolutely need that park. $40 for that is.. alright, I guess, but $90 is just TOO much for the gas station.

Believe or not, it's $90.

https://farm2.static...89330b4_o_d.jpg

You can zoom in on the price to confirm.

That's pretty steep... Let's hope it's a pricing strategy to give extra discount? I don't think i've ever bought a lego set above 20€ MSRP at MSRP. At a 33% discount, i will definately get this :blush:

Edited by NotMegalodon

Tha chances for finding the Gas Station on sale is not good on my end in California. Sets are rarely marked down in my local stores, but once in a while you get a good discount.

Yikes! I am really into city and settle for paying the equivalent of 25 bucks here in Japan for medium sets (think the latest Lego ladder truck for 2016). But to add insult to injury there is never a sale on LEGO here in fact some stores charge double the price for even basic sets (Apita will charge you 40 dollars USD equivalent for that same Ladder Truck set). The only places that carry them at the recommended prices (the cheapest they ever get here) are the Electronics shops like Yamada Denki or Bic Camera. The official LEGO store here (it really isn't just authorized) is Click Brick and they usually sell out of the hot items FAST so it is hit or miss all over Japan.

The only constant distributor is Amazon.co.jp but those prices are even more volatile than your brick and mortar shops (think 8 dollars up or down over the course of just 6 hours)

Count your blessings, but at 90$ the gas station is off my wish list.

People always complain about outrageous pricing on licensed themes, including Star Wars, but City totally takes the cake for me. Star Wars is pricey, as in there's a lot of expensive sets, but in my opinion, they're good deals for the most part. City has no licensing fees, rarely any new moulds colors or prints for the figures, and they manage to still have a poor PPP ratio and seem to be overpriced. It's one thing to have expensive sets worth the price, but City has expensive sets not worth the price.

$90 for the Gas Station is friggin' ridiculous. :hmpf:

I completely agree. At least with Star Wars you get exclusive mini figures / new moulds. City gives you the same torsos and faces all the time. For the costs there should be a lot of 'exclusive' City mini figures. I get that there are some new cockpit pieces and the boat pieces are massive and expensive, but a $90 gas station.

Even thinking as a 10 year old, would you rather have a $90 gas station or a $90 air port hanger with THREE planes? Complete insanity. Or the $90 police island prison set? Both have 150-200 more pieces!

Like Rick said, the $20 great vehicles line is normally amazing values, but everything else outside of that is completely insane. Which is why I can't remember the last time I bought a City set that was over $20.

Even thinking as a 10 year old, would you rather have a $90 gas station or a $90 air port hanger with THREE planes? Complete insanity. Or the $90 police island prison set? Both have 150-200 more pieces!

Is That hanger set with the 3 planes really going to be $90? :(

Is That hanger set with the 3 planes really going to be $90? :(

Yep.

Bricknblue, you said it better than I.

Like Rick said, the $20 great vehicles line is normally amazing values, but everything else outside of that is completely insane. Which is why I can't remember the last time I bought a City set that was over $20.

This part stood out to me the most. It's the same situation here... :sad:

Edited by just2good

Maybe the Gas Station is $90 because TLG thought they could scam the thousands of Lightningtigers people out there who have been waiting for one since 2007. :shrug_confused:

I actually think the airplane hanger set is a pretty good deal. It's three planes that would probably be $20-$25 a piece, plus the hanger. I'm curious to what you would be willing to pay for it?