Rick

2016 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

Seems like Prison Island is just a huge missed opportunity... Could have been a really unique and clever sub theme of police.

I just looked up Police Submarine... Apparently the Haptons Police Force has a Virginia-class Navy submarine named Jaws VII that actually has made arrests.

I just looked up Police Submarine... Apparently the Haptons Police Force has a Virginia-class Navy submarine named Jaws VII that actually has made arrests.

Let me guess, it was made very cheaply, and everyone can see the end of it coming?

Edited by Thetford

Let me guess, it was made very cheaply, and everyone can see the end of it coming?

Ha ha ha, you would think it, but it's a massive military sub with "HAMPTON POLICE" awkwardly slapped onto the side of it.

I wonder what kind of desgin the crooks minifigs will have! Maybe basic Maytbe whole clasic white and black stripes uniforms with numbers? That would be nice!

I wonder what kind of desgin the crooks minifigs will have! Maybe basic Maytbe whole clasic white and black stripes uniforms with numbers? That would be nice!

I hope they have orange jumpsuits for the crooks in prison, we haven't seen those in a while.

Are the sets mentioned by Klaus-Dieter really all new CITY sets? What about the construction (sub)theme? Is it likely that there will be some new sets too?

I don't know if I can post this, but this is my dream ''set schedule'' for CITY, which will sadly never be:

Police would return every 5 years,

Fire too,

Construction and Demolition would rotate every 5 years,

Trains and Airport would be every 3 years,

and Hospital and Cargo would rotate every 4 years,

while Civilian sets would rotate with subtheme returns every 2 summers.

60109 Fire Boat has a fire boat using the hull from the Deep Sea Exploration Vehicle, but in red, the bridge is smaller, there's a huge water cannon in the front and on the left and right side a small one, a crane boom with a water cannon behind the bridge. The back part of the ship isn't closed - there's a plate in between. Additionally there's a yellow rubber boat, a burning mini lighthouse (like the one in the last CG ship) and a small rack with a little hut on it included. Minifigs are three firemen, a (fire?) diver and a man.

Isn't there also small boat (hard hull, not inflated, similar like last fishing boat)?

Well, I feel lukewarm with these up coming sets.

The coolest sounding one is the ferry, I guess buy most of the sets......I might picky on them though.

The prison island sounds interesting, but totally need pictures of it......seriously it would have to be big enough to hold more than two minifigs or is it a place for the criminal masterminds of Lego City to be housed ?

Time to wait and see those first pictures.......a few weeks my best guess.

Am I the only one who read this and hoped that there will be a Lego lady pinup poster printed tile covering the escape route?

And a ward an saying "what say you Fuzzy Britches?" Lol!

Klaus Dieter, what color was the garbage truck? Hopefully the same green and whit as the last one.

I am deffinately interested in several of the 2016 sets. I can't wait for prelim pics!

Sal

WFB' WI

I have to agree with you Lightningtiger, the ferry is the best of the bunch by far. I have been waiting for a ferry for a very long time!

Thanks Klaus-Dieter for sharing this. Most of the sets sound pretty boring, but I'm interested in the ferry and the garbage truck. They'll be a nice addition to my city. And maybe the fire ladder truck, if I can find it with a decent discount

I recently bought a tub of used Lego sets, which also included a bunch of old product catalogs. Remember these? The small catalogs that Lego would inlcude in every set? Man, flipping through those catalogs was like a unfiltered hit of pure nostalgia. I studied those things endlessly when i was a kid.

So anyway, what struck me when looking through the Town sets from this era (late 80's mostly), was the picture of a big Town layout. It was probably six road plates wide by 5 road plates tall. It had only three buildings in it -- a fire station, the Exxon gas station, and I think the Paramedics Office. The rest of that huge layout was empty. I remember that picture so vividly from when I was a kid. That picture shows you what you can do with the Town system. All those empty baseplates are just dying to be filled up with buildings and cars and mini-figs. As a kid, that picture really fired my imagination, and got me hooked into Town sets for the next 30 years (and counting).

I think TLC has lost sight of what makes Town / City unique and appealing. It's not about "collecting" named mini-figs the way the licensed themes are. It's about creating a tiny version of the world you see around you. It's about a system that you can expand as much as you want, and it all fits together into a system. Lego City isn't a "system" anymore. Road plates and baseplates are mostly gone. Buildings are few and far between. There's no way to populate that big, empty town pictured in that old catalog. I think that's a huge mistake on Lego's part. They're chasing short-term profit (new police sets!) at the expense of creating life-long fans.

Or maybe I'm just old. Get off my lawn!

I recently bought a tub of used Lego sets, which also included a bunch of old product catalogs. Remember these? The small catalogs that Lego would inlcude in every set? Man, flipping through those catalogs was like a unfiltered hit of pure nostalgia. I studied those things endlessly when i was a kid.

So anyway, what struck me when looking through the Town sets from this era (late 80's mostly), was the picture of a big Town layout. It was probably six road plates wide by 5 road plates tall. It had only three buildings in it -- a fire station, the Exxon gas station, and I think the Paramedics Office. The rest of that huge layout was empty. I remember that picture so vividly from when I was a kid. That picture shows you what you can do with the Town system. All those empty baseplates are just dying to be filled up with buildings and cars and mini-figs. As a kid, that picture really fired my imagination, and got me hooked into Town sets for the next 30 years (and counting).

I think TLC has lost sight of what makes Town / City unique and appealing. It's not about "collecting" named mini-figs the way the licensed themes are. It's about creating a tiny version of the world you see around you. It's about a system that you can expand as much as you want, and it all fits together into a system. Lego City isn't a "system" anymore. Road plates and baseplates are mostly gone. Buildings are few and far between. There's no way to populate that big, empty town pictured in that old catalog. I think that's a huge mistake on Lego's part. They're chasing short-term profit (new police sets!) at the expense of creating life-long fans.

Or maybe I'm just old. Get off my lawn!

Well, this sounds like me. You're completely right, I agree with your post. I also spent countless hours looking those catalogues and town images. I don't know how, but I managed to build a very decent and large town (7x7 plates aprox.) plus the old airport at the age of 10/11. Unfortunately, my mother gave everything away to another child when I grew up. Big mistake, mum, big mistake. Edited by Gongoro73

Totally forgot, whoops! I'll post them tomorrow, but one thing I can remember is the Prison Island has a sewage line escape function.

Totally forgot, whoops! I'll post them tomorrow, but one thing I can remember is the Prison Island has a sewage line escape function.

Does it feature a Sean Connery minifig?