LAKAbricks

LEGO as souvenir - ever bought any?

Now it is time for holiday/vacation in many parts of the world, and I wonder if Eurobrickers buy LEGO as souvenirs when travelling. And if you do, do you choose a set that somehow relates to the destination/trip?

Last year I went to Finland - deep into the forrests, I realized that the perfect LEGO souvenir (funny thing to buy abroad when you are from Denmark - home of LEGO :laugh: ) would be the 60059 Logging Truck with all the logging going on in Finland. A set I otherwise had never considered buying.

I buy LEGO mementos from places I visit all the time especially if the place I go to has a piece exclusive to that place, like the "I LOVE NY" minifig keychain. But I basically collect Architecture sets of places I visit (I don't necessarily buy it from the place I visited. Sometimes I just buy it from the LEGO shop after the fact). Luckily, most of the places I have gone to have one. I currently have the Empire State Building, Big Ben, and the Eiffel Tower. I will also be buying the leaning tower of Pisa for my upcoming travel this fall (I'm still debating whether I'll be getting the Trevi Fountain, though).

Edited by pong0814

Usually I don't buy souvenirs but I take lots of Photos. however I also usually plan a vacation build too, Lego is a way I relax and on vacation what better way then to sit in an Ocean front hotel room and listen to the Sea while building The Imperial Flagship(10210). that was probably the best part of that vacation to me. other trips have been cars while in Daytona, or the Log cabin while on a cabin trip :laugh: these were all pre-purchased for the trip though so not really a souvenir. Also until now I hadn't realized I had been doing that regularly, time to make it officially a new Tradition!

I recently picked up this (and a magnet) from my holiday to Paris:

LEGO_Sleutelhang_51de887c020d2.jpg

Yeah, 'souvenirs'. For me it's basically an excuse to purchase overpriced polybags!

I don't really buy anything else since i can get anything cheaper in my hometown.

42004 from Copenhagen main shop. Souvenir that ended the dark ages. It was cheapish, small and robust enough to stick in an aircraft and cart across the world. Little did I know it'd be the cheapest thing about getting back into lego again after 2 decades away!

I buy LEGO mementos from places I visit all the time especially if the place I go to has a piece exclusive to that place, like the "I LOVE NY" minifig keychain. But I basically collect Architecture sets of places I visit ...

Oh, I have never been thinking about buying things like minifig keychains. But why not? - Architecture sets are really good candidates as souvenirs... if you can find something that represents the place, you visit :wink:

... however I also usually plan a vacation build too, Lego is a way I relax and on vacation what better way then to sit in an Ocean front hotel room and listen to the Sea while building The Imperial Flagship(10210). that was probably the best part of that vacation to me. other trips have been cars while in Daytona, or the Log cabin while on a cabin trip :laugh: these were all pre-purchased for the trip though so not really a souvenir. Also until now I hadn't realized I had been doing that regularly, time to make it officially a new Tradition!

Actually my wife also suggested that I should bring a set to build while on holiday this year. I considered a set - but did not bring any. No space in the suitcases :look: But it sounds like a great new tradition. Especially if LEGO building is relaxing for you.

I recently picked up this (and a magnet) from my holiday to Paris:

Quite the obvious kind of souvenir. I guess the reason I never considered it before is, I focus on series like City, Castle and Pirates, therefore keyhangers or magnets are not the first things I look for.

Yeah, 'souvenirs'. For me it's basically an excuse to purchase overpriced polybags!

I don't really buy anything else since i can get anything cheaper in my hometown.

Hehehe... The Logging Truck I bought was priced more or less the same, though I could have got it quite cheaper on offer in Denmark around the time I went on holiday. But I can easily follow you. A LEGO souvenir this year could easily be as much as 2,5 more expensive than if I bought it at home.

42004 from Copenhagen main shop. Souvenir that ended the dark ages. It was cheapish, small and robust enough to stick in an aircraft and cart across the world. Little did I know it'd be the cheapest thing about getting back into lego again after 2 decades away!

Yeah, it is not always a good idea to buy cheap... :laugh:

My mum and sister gave me one of these Lego christmas balls last christmas. It's quite neat! :D

My mum and sister gave me one of these Lego christmas balls last christmas. It's quite neat! :D

Also a kind of souvenir or thing to make you remember a special time. Though I love Christmas, I did not think about getting one of these - but maybe to decorate my LEGO corner, thought it will not be the T-Rex Holiday Bauble... :laugh:

My friend went to NY last year and she got me the Lady Liberty magnet from the Rockefeller Center Lego Store

That's the only LEGO Souvenir I've got but it's quite nice :laugh:

Several years ago when I was in Seattle I visited the Space Needle, they had the LEGO Space Needle, so I bought it. Too bad the Trevi Fountain set was not out when I was there, but I received the set for Christmas year.

I think it would be a great memory to buy the LEGO set at the actual location.

Andy D

Went to New-York and visited the empire state building, still in my dark ages, and saw the architecture set at the souvenir shop, it was not impressive and expensive so I passed. The same day I visited the lego shop and bought the Lord of the ring ship, so I brought back this souvenir,but mostly,it re-ignited my love of building with Lego bricks.

If you go to Billund, the birthplace of Lego, you'd be remiss not to pick up any as souvenirs—particularly since there are sets that you can get there that you can't get anywhere else. Firstly, the set of the under-construction Lego House is available from most shops in town (and the Legoland Hotel, though when I went earlier in the year they were fresh out). Secondly, if you're departing by plane, the departure gate of the Billund Airport is the ONLY location in the world where you can buy the Billund Airport set, and there's a limit of three per ticketed passenger. I made sure to pick up multiples of each on my trip—they're pretty classy as display models and are likely to accrue in value over time to boot!

When I moved to Seattle, I bought the Space Needle at the gift shop.

It was the first LEGO I had bought in 25 years or so.

:)

When we went to Legoland Florida, we got my daughter's picture with a "minifig" (person in a suit) printed directly on LEGO.

I happened to be studying abroad in Oxford during the summer of 2012, so I couldn't pass up buying a complete box of 60 Team GB Collectible Minifigs.

When I learned of their release and exclusivity earlier in the year, I made getting a box my goal. I'm proud to say I accomplished that goal on my first full day in England!

Still probably the best souvenir I've ever acquired.

Have I bought lego on vacation? Well yea, I'd have to be nuts to not hit the lego store on vacation since we have zero lego stores anywhere close to us unless you count a 6 hour drive to one as close. I am being driven batty since I want to go so bad since the last time we went was March 24, 2012.

Have I bought some as a souvenir? No

I have twice taken little vacations purposefully to visit the Lego store. First time I bought the Pet Shop and the second time I bought the Parisian Restaurant.

Just bought the Creator Ferrari set in England even if it would have been cheaper here in Germany. I saw it in the Lego shop in the Metrocentre and could not resist buying it straight away:-)