Schwizzle

Slight modifications to the new TIE Advanced Protoype

Hey everyone. I am brand new to this forum and found out about it through searching for Star Wars set reviews. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and bear with a newbie to the forum :-).

I recently re-engaged with Star Wars Lego models because I finally picked up one I always wanted: the 9500: Sith Fury TIE Interceptor. While searching for it online, I came across another set, the TIE Advanced Prototype, set 75082. I immediately loved it. It was fun to put together, and has great "swooshing" value and is a solid set (feels heavy and sturdy for its size).

However, one thing I didn't like was the fact that there wasn't much black on this ship and where there was black it was all contained on the inner wing. I haven't seen Star Wars: Rebels yet and realize that this ship is based off of the TIE in that show. But, for me, the hallmark of a TIE spacecraft is well-used contrast between grey and black colors.

So I proceeded to switch the gray 4211352 outer piece for the black inner piece 241926 (sorry, don't know the regular term for these pieces, wedges?). I also added four 2x2 black plates to the middle of each wing section under the Imperial insignia to help tie in the black on the top and bottom wing. On the front of the ship, I took out the gray grille pieces and added in two red, clear circles(3005741) which are supposed to be proton torpedo launchers (I mean this is a TIE Advanced right? It needs some torpedoes, and makes the front a bit less bland), and added in 2 black roof tiles (1x1) directly on either side of the pilot's window, just to get some more black in. I'm considering replacing the inner gray wedge pieces with black ones....or go all gray on the inside....haven't decided yet.

Below are pictures. I hope you enjoy them and find the modifications tasteful!

19461383961_5e78a26260_c.jpgDSC03013 by schwizzle1, on Flickr

19461424841_51186998ac_c.jpgDSC03012 by schwizzle1, on Flickr

19450858032_f89d3e23c3_c.jpgDSC03010 by schwizzle1, on Flickr

19450733592_c743e58dcb_c.jpgDSC03014 by schwizzle1, on Flickr

18834519594_61085f1d2b_c.jpgDSC03015 by schwizzle1, on Flickr

19456970805_cf92f13bd7_c.jpgDSC03017 by schwizzle1, on Flickr

Greetings Schwizzle! welcome to eurobricks, I am also a "moder" my self and use to alter my sets to fit my personal taste, your modifications certainly help out this vehicle but if you are into looks over accuracy, you could also do several improvements on it, I have seen a couple pretty good mods on this set but that will also depend on your brick availability.

Greetings Schwizzle! welcome to eurobricks, I am also a "moder" my self and use to alter my sets to fit my personal taste, your modifications certainly help out this vehicle but if you are into looks over accuracy, you could also do several improvements on it, I have seen a couple pretty good mods on this set but that will also depend on your brick availability.

Thanks. Yep, I meant to put in my post that I am open to suggestions. I will have to look for those other mods!

It looks very nice. Not accurate to the show, but nice.

I definitely need to catch the show sometime to see it in action. I don't have cable, so I will have to see what online provider has the show.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Advanced_v1

Canoically, the solar panels (ie: the black bricks) are only on the inside on the 'actual' thing, with the outside being armor plated to give it more survivability. Still, doesn't look bad in a different colorscheme.

Thanks for the link, and I read there that it can shoot missiles too....

I like the new color of this MOD. It seems to work pretty good and closely resembles traditional TIE designs. I am glad you decided to sign up and share this build of yours. :thumbup:

I like the new color of this MOD. It seems to work pretty good and closely resembles traditional TIE designs. I am glad you decided to sign up and share this build of yours. :thumbup:

Thanks!