Sign in to follow this  
Mark of Falworth

[M - A04] Crystallized Awesomnium Geysers on Mynderis.

Activity- Exploration.

Location- Mynderis - A04.

Previously, Mark of Orion saved Captan Brutus from the Malicious Munchmoid on Jurin II. In reward for his brave service and quick thinking, Mark was promoted from the exploration dropship team to a new solo mission. Mark was sad to leave his comrades but the new pay grade was definitely a must. Not eating at the maggot-infested cafeteria was pricey at best!

Mark's next mission, to try out a new MANTIS™ prototype vehicle.

19221002078_d1d6a2c95c.jpg

Arachtis Strider M2

The Arachtis Strider M2© has just come out of the diabolical labs of MANTIS™ HQ. Unlike most conventional vehicles, the Strider has six independently-powered limbs that propel the saucer--style body. Made from a mix of Durithium composites, the strong but flexible exoskeleton provides a durable frame for the softer bioengineered core.

18788034023_736e054268_n.jpg

The "feet" are based on the same cell structure of the tentacles of the Garctaloid of Yallorn II, which can send sensory information to the control panels while providing excellent support and superior grip.

19222487699_1f34aa5594_n.jpg

But this unique transportation mode is not just for show. The Arachtis Strider can traverse even rough terrain at 85 MPH. And the 9 Awesomnium-powered thrusters means that this craft is capable of effectively flying in upper level atmospheres and beyond. The designers believed interplanetary travel in the current Strider model is possible, though dangerous due to the vehicle's small size and weak debris shields.

18788047553_c57d511082_n.jpg

Understandably, Mark was very excited to man the first expedition in the Arachtis Strider M2©!

His first mission was on the currently uncontested planet of Mynderis A04. neither Octan nor Kawashita were believed to have any operatives on the surface.

As Mark touched down on the crusty plain, he felt for the first time what is must be like to be a 20-foot tall alien bug!

"Ohohoho! This thing is FUN!"

The location Mark had been posted was on the northern tip of the volcanic planet, here the temperature was well below freezing and the lava flows and eruptions were less frequent.

The advanced computers immediately began to direct Mark to curious object on a rocky slope.

18787995753_0011585c22_n.jpg

On closer inspection, the purple edifice gave off large amounts of energy and radiation. Probably Awesomnium!

"Time to try out the feet."

19221045568_796615930a_n.jpg

Arachtis Strider M2 on Mynderis A04

Mark directed one of the limbs to rest on the larger crystal in the center of the mound.

The computer immediately read out, "Content: Crystallized Awesomnium 98%, Basalt ash 2%"

Mark smiled. This tech was useful. "Nice! I wonder how deep this crystal thing goes..."

"Approximately 1300 feet."

"Haha! This is awesome!"

"Incorrect: The content is 98% Awesomnium."

"Yes, yes! I know! Hmm... Where are those humor settings..."

To Be Continued!

(Begin commentary)

Well, I didn't have much time this week, but I did have a friend over on friday and while we were building and tinkering with the LEGO I managed to come up with this bug saucer thingy! Reminds me of War of the Worlds, even though I've never seen the movie or read the books! :laugh:

Hopefully next week I'll be able to DESTROY reply to all the MANTIS™ Haters! :devil::wink:

Edited by Mark of Falworth

Really nice vehicle! Hopefully the other corporations are smart to not mess with it. :wink:

Beautiful terrain and presentation as always, Mark. I also dig this vehicle, it's one of the best of the MANTIS bug-like whips going around.

It certainly does have a War of the Worlds vibe, even though I haven't seen the movie or read the book either... :innocent:

That's a really nice transportation you got there. But I have a small question: if the Arachtis Strider accidentally falls on his back, is he capable of getting back on its legs? :grin:

19222487699_1f34aa5594_n.jpg

Neat little build Mark, the stringy legs are quite cool, although they don't look incredibly sturdy! :laugh: For some reason I like the upside-down picture best though. :tongue:

:thumbup:

That's a really nice transportation you got there. But I have a small question: if the Arachtis Strider accidentally falls on his back, is he capable of getting back on its legs? :grin:

Haha! Good point! :laugh: The designers assumed with such good grip that the vehicle would never fall on it's back. However, there are two test proven ways of righting itself, first the legs can all move from one side to the other in a rapid motion in order to rock itself back on it's feet, second, if the first technique fails, the cockpit opens with considerable power (In case of a embedded crash during flight mode), like a ladybug flipping itself over with it's wings, the strider can right itself quickly with the opening cockpit if necessary. It is recommended that you put on your helmet before performing both of these maneuvers... :tongue::wink:

Haha I was wondering the same thing when I saw that shot. Great reply about the maneuvers required to right oneself in case such a thing happens. Wear a helmet. Yes. :wink::laugh:

The mecha looks very Mantis-like. Great job! :thumbup:

Great vehicle; I love the shape and feel of it! And, as always, wonderful presentation!

Awesome Mark! I love the look of this, so completely M.A.N.T.I.S ! The terrain is very well done and the use of purple really stands out nicely against the darker color of the rock. :sweet: