Note: I know this version of the i8 doesn't exist. This MOC is a mix between comercial i8 and i8 Concept Spyder.

This is my first complex car in scale 1/10.

BMW-i8_01.jpg

The overall size is 58x25x16 studs (46x20x13 cm).

It is powered by 5 PF motors and one servo motor, 2 IR receivers and 2 pair of lights.

The only weighs 1.9Kg.

BMW-i8_12.JPG

bmw-i8-1-xl.jpg

BMW-i8_07.JPG

Front and rear lights.

As the Spyder version it has folding roof. In the Concept Spyder, BMW never showed the folding roof mechanism, so I have designed my own mechanism and the way to hide the roof under the engine cover.

picasion.com_0a971a6e79f3d4f556d86790f85cfac5.gif

Openable doors from the controller. Only one M motor control both doors.

Each turning motor direction connect to one door.

BMW-i8_03.JPG

Of course it has steering with working steering wheel and a complete interior with full size seats.

BMW-i8_06.JPG

Hibrid drive system.

Here the most important part of the car(at least for me).

Like the real i8, this MOC is driven by Hidrid Drive System. Two different drivetrains working together to get the best available performance.

The front axle's drivetrain is powered by XL motor and has 2-speed gearbox(3:1 and 1:1 ratios).

The rear drivetrain is powered by 2L motors, and include a servo motor to change the drive mode.

It can work under two different drive modes that you can change instantly from the controller: eDrive and Sport.

BMW-i8_23.JPG

eDrive mode

The car works as a normal front wheel drive car. The real axle car turn free and the front gearbox is un low gear.

The max speed is around 1.5Kph.

Sport mode

When you connect the Sport mode the 2L motors star runing, and the servomotor connect the rear axle to the L motors and at the same time change the speed of the front gearbox.

So now the car is AWD with a long gear ratio.

The rear transmision has only one speed, and the ratio is the same as athe front axle in high speed ratio.

The max speed is around 4Kph.

Also the servo motor connect the folding roof. Powered too by the same 2L motors of the rear drivetrain.

Drive mode indicator in the interior.

BMW-i8_09.JPG

3L fake engine working with the rear divetrain L motors. So it only works with Sport mode.

Leaving the eDrive mode as a "100% electric mode".

BMW-i8_21.JPG

Front axle with double wishbone suspension and double steering arm to improuve the performance.

BMW-i8_13.JPG

Rear multilink suspension. Suspension formed by 5 links: two upper links, two button links and a control link.

BMW-i8_14.JPG

The most wanted picture.

BMW-i8_11.JPG

As always a complete video showing all its functions in detail

https://www.youtube....bed/9143AXyXCr8

For more info visit www.sheepo.es

Finally I want to do question to EB members, Do you miss the brakes and the sequential gearbox in this car?

This question is serious, because is very important for me know your opinon about the important changes I have done from my "traditional features".

Edited by Sheepo

*oh2* That thing is amazing! Sooo many functions in such a tight package! Incredible! Really went creative with this one. Honestly, I don't really miss the brakes or sequential gearbox, to me, those are just a bonus on bigger models, plus I don't think it would be an easy job fitting them into this car. Overall, this is a really impressive model! Do you think you could post some photos of the bare chassis, for us here to drool at it?

Absolutely stunning!

This is honestly the BEST looking supercar in Lego I have EVER seen.

Love the hubcaps!

Fantastic job!

Sheep I do appreciate your models (and the quality/design of them) but this time I think you could have made it bit better! Nontheless a stunning model! My concern regards the front...doesn't look at all as an I8....

great video!

Very well done :thumbup: Nice styling and absolutely amazing and neat working functions! Very creative idea to have a hybrid driveline system :thumbup: Like this a lot :sweet:

Edited by MacKaiwer

Whoa. I was looking at large i8 Concept model just the other day, and though to myself "this is one of the cars you can't really build with LEGO". I was so wrong :)

I still don't suppose it's possible for anyone to build a proper Mazda Furai, though.

Edited by Sariel

Excellent BMW i8!

Personally I don't miss brakes or gearbox in this scale; esp. considering all the other functions. I absolutely love the Hybrid Drive System. Very well done Lego representation of the Hybrid system.

My only nitpicking would be about the front. The slope of the hood seems a bit small for me compared to the original and the famous "Doppelniere" radiator grill sits a bit awkwardly in front. However making the car flatter in the front would seriously rob space to put all the features.

The flex axles on the sides together with the great doors make an awesome (!) representation of the original model and the back looks great as well.

For me this is one of the technically most interesting mocs in recent time and all that in a small nearly perfectly designed exterior.

Very excellent MOC indeed! Thanks for showing.

edit: I forgot: I also love the design of the remote. Switching between the modes and the doors.

Edited by Musikfreak

Well that's the "Best MOC I'll See" award wrapped up for July...

The only thing I would dare criticise is that the front grille looks a little off with the 1x3 thin liftarms doubled up on both sides, but if you tried it with 1 liftarm each side and rejected it for some reason then you can ignore me!

As for your question, if your next model was a "regular" supercar then I would feel that something was missing without the brakes and sequential gearbox. However for the i8 it's more noteworthy to mimic the hybrid drive of the road car because it's unique to the i8 in a mass-produced car (I think? I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong). If you are going to continue MOC-ing unusual cars with unique or seldom seen features then I wouldn't mind not seeing the brakes or gearbox again.

Edited by Jay Psi

Finally I want to do question to EB members, Do you miss the brakes and the sequential gearbox in this car?

This question is serious, because is very important for me know your opinon about the important changes I have done from my "traditional features".

I never really liked/cared of the brake feature, and I don't miss the sequential gearbox either.

This car is you best, in my opinion. Looks the best too, this has a nice, clean look.

Edited by Lipko

The functions sound absolutely fantastic. The different modes is a great feature. The only small critique I have is the front doesn't really resemble the car that much, maybe its the lights. The rear looks great though :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice moc, nothing that others haven't said to say. I don't miss any function here, but I love the complex gearboxes in the bigger models, I also like the brakes, but I don't think they are the most important thing and can be omitted if you prefer or there is no place for them.

Thanks for everybody for your comments and feedback.

Many of you had talked about the front grill. I know it is not the best part of the bodywork and I think the same as you :(. But I tried to fix it but I couldn't.

There are many reasons for that:

- The front XL motor is just behind the front grill and it is very big, if you see the last picture you can see it. So I couldn't place it in lower position.

- The front Doppelniere is very hard to do with technic parts, and it also must be very strong and capable to hold it in the correct place.

- Build bodyworks is not my favourite part when I built a car... jorgeopesi has read a harder version of this phrase many times :laugh: :laugh:

As usual stunning internal techniques. Hybrid drive with an impressive speed boost :thumbsup:

I am not sold on the looks though. It looks rather squarish and it misses that mean looking front face.

Still the functions make up for that. Excellent model

I don't really miss the brakes as I never used them whilst driving your defender but maybe next car bring back a gearbox as the performance would be much better. Very cool nonetheless!

I like functionality, but i don't like how it looks, except that idea with rims.

Edited by Jurss

I must say that I dont like the look of it, this is your first car in this scale, so it will probably improve, but right now I dont like how it look. It looks a bit squared and it has no "soul" or personality.

I am not a fan of studless and flex axles in the first place, so my opinion may not be so important here, but I loved the bodywork of land rover, which was fully enclosed, and looked like the real thing (no holes and gaps)

I do miss brakes and complex gearboxes, simply because that was something new and unique to your cars, and added "realism". Those are probably nearly impossible to integrate into this scale, but I said my opinion nevertheless.

In this car I like the internals and as I said, unique style of the internals, but body of the car is not your best work.

This is a very cool moc , I love all the functions and at a smaller scale it is very impressive .

I will buy instructions if you make them.

I love the way the doors open very cool looking .It total how long did this moc take you ?

Answer To Your Question : As some one who own 90% of your instructions , I can say I don't miss the sequential gearbox or breaks .

hello

Thus, in the framework of the given possibilities of the components

there is nothing to criticize ....

a Land Rover is now time square

and therefore easier to build with Lego Technic ...

is, there is no Lego parts in all shapes!

For me, it is once again a very nice model

(although I'm not a fan of Flex axes)

keep it up

The functions are pretty sweet. But I agree with some of the others in that the body work isn't the greatest, some pieces just don't seem to flow with others, especially those bent liftarms above the rear wheels. Still very good though.

This is absolutely fantastic!

Given how packed with feature this is already, I certainly don't miss breaks or gearbox.