Sign in to follow this  
Tyutyu

[LDD MOC] E-Wing

This is my first post here, so Greetings everyone!

I have been salivating on the Mocs I have seen here for years. Had trouble getting LDD to work for 3(!!!) years. One day I was playing a game when the unused LDD popped up from nowhere and it runs fine ever since :laugh:

I have seen some fantastic X-Wings but not much love for the E-Wing, so I gave it shot. This is my first ever LDD Moc and probably my 4th in total, so all input is welcome. I still have trouble getting LDD to do what I want sometimes.

E-wing%20Complete%202%20Eurobricks1Small.png

E-wing%20Complete%202%20Eurobricks2Small.png

E-wing%20Complete%202%20Eurobricks3Small.png

E-wing%20Complete%202%20Eurobricks5Small.png

About my E-Wing: I love both the old blocky and the more recent E-wing designs on the internet, so I tried to go somewhere down the middle road. I understand if design purists don't like my approach. My primary goal was to build a display (UCS?) model, but when I finished the external design, I wanted working internals as well for playability and swooshability. Something UCS models don't allow... After adding all the internals I had to redesign the whole exterior again, to make it strong enough. I tried to design my E-wing with the available parts that I have at home, so that was a huge limiting factor for both the parts and the color scheme. I'm sure I could improve the model if I plan to bricklink the missing parts.

Features:

-Functional landing gears

-Storage compartment (Rear)

-Generator compartment (Mid section) .2 generators can be pulled out of the craft

-Droid compartment (Mid section). Droid can be pulled out of the craft after elevating the whole turret assembly

-Rotateable and elevable turret (Above droid compartment)

-Wings can be level for landing mode or dropped for flight mode

-Internal Torpedo storage for 6 Proton torpedoes (Behind the pilot)

-Reallstic cockpit design

-Realistic thruster design with build in LED lighting powered by 2032 Battery for when the Star Wars fan friend come over for a beer :grin:

Features that I had to drop because I was unable to solve it:

-Joystick for the pilot

-Loading arm for the proton torpedoes

Future plans. I want to build the model as it stands now and keep improving it as new ideas, building techniques and part become available in the future. I would like to use everything I learned here to make my own X-Wing :classic:

Edited by Tyutyu

Love the SNOT usage, and seems to be built fairly sturdy with those technic beams.

Could you post some pictures of the hatches/cockpit open? Look forward to seeing an X-Wing design from you.

Edit- Oh! And welcome to Eurobricks! :grin:

Edited by Stauder

Love the SNOT usage, and seems to be built fairly sturdy with those technic beams.

Could you post some pictures of the hatches/cockpit open? Look forward to seeing an X-Wing design from you.

Edit- Oh! And welcome to Eurobricks! :grin:

Thanks. I forgot to add internal pictures, but it doesn't matter now because building the craft from bricks showed that the front part is too weak. I have to redesign the internals while keeping as much from the external design as possible.

My first idea is to stick to bricks and plates. This is how it looks:

E-wing%20Complete%202%20Eurobricks6Small.png

If this turns out weak too, I will try a Technic beam solution :classic:

Not bad for your first LDD MOC!Only one way i will recommend to improve this model,is have a look at the design of 75018 Jek 14 Stealth Starfighter and make the jet engine been round because the engine is too flimsy and exposed.I don't mean i don't like this model,but with some improvements,it can be better.

Edited by ArmstrongYong

These nose designs failed the building test. The 3rd design failed as well. The 4th current design turned out to be rock solid with about 95% of the original shape. I will try to update the post soon.

Finally managed to get some pics of the current state.

27969376175_e12e652003_c.jpgE-Wing by Andras Pacza, on Flickr

27969375825_7f808de6db_c.jpgE-Wing by Andras Pacza, on Flickr

27969376025_36586c82b0_c.jpgE-Wing by Andras Pacza, on Flickr

27689784950_c372f64faa_c.jpgE-Wing by Andras Pacza, on Flickr

27969375925_68b33aca15_c.jpgE-Wing by Andras Pacza, on Flickr

27969375775_dee069af52_c.jpgE-Wing by Andras Pacza, on Flickr

Im unable to get a hold of white parts via bricklink so most of the ship is built using parts from the 8089 Hoth Wampa cave set :sweet:

I dont consider this MOC completed but Im happy it got off the drawing board and became a permanent addition to my flat.

I dont have a UCS X-wing but after seeing one in person, I think my E-wing scales very well to it.

Edited by Tyutyu

It's kind of a magical feeling when something you've been working on for weeks (months?) on LDD finally comes to life in your hands.

Congratulations on getting to experience that feeling, and for creating a solid fighter craft!

Great model! The E-Wing is a favorite Legends Starfighter of mine because it mirrors the look and history of the F-4 Phantom. Well done!

Tyutyu, it's nice to heard some updates from your E-Wing moc, but why is the pictures can't be loaded?

Try now. I think the service provider was having maintenance

Great model! The E-Wing is a favorite Legends Starfighter of mine because it mirrors the look and history of the F-4 Phantom. Well done!

Its funny you say that. I love the F-4 Phantom, but I only saw that my E-wing looks like a Phantom, when I looked at it from different angles after building it.

It's kind of a magical feeling when something you've been working on for weeks (months?) on LDD finally comes to life in your hands.

Congratulations on getting to experience that feeling, and for creating a solid fighter craft!

Thanks! Yes it was months. I just find it hard to design and build when I have family, work and a truckload of Lego parts to sort. I just found the parts I am using from the 8089 set in one of my unchecked boxes, so I can sell my 8089 now :)

Edited by Tyutyu

The belly of the beast is still not figured out yet, but if you look at my post number 4 you can see the internals and the current frontal gear made up of plates and a ski with hinge part.

Amazing MOC and glad ya put together an UCS for the E-wing! was one of my fav fighters from the expanded universe. I don't suppose I could get the LDD for this?