D3K

[MOC] Midi-scale Pneumatic Crane Truck

As promised in the white excavator topic last month, here is a closer look at the red four axle truck from that topic.

800x532.jpg

The trailer is nothing special, just thrown together for the fun of it.

Now let's unload that loader and have a closer look at the truck!

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x531.jpg

800x533.jpg

Key features:

-Pneumatic crane boom raising

-Pneumatic crane jib lifting

-Manual crane jib extending

-Manual crane winch

-Mechanical crane rotation

-Pneumatic dumping of bed

-Tilting cabin

-Proportional steering with Ackerman geometry and good pivot point (more details later)

-Manual outriggers

-Bed walls can be lowered

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

As you can see, the outriggers are of an extremely simple design. Their geometry and the way they are stored is pretty accurate to real life, but they are entirely manual, not very strong, and there mostly for looks rather than function. At this scale, to make something mechanical or pneumatic that actually works, would have taken way too much space.

800x493.jpg

I tried to make a detailed equipment tower, with an ACU, some tools and some storage compartments etc.

800x527.jpg

The bed is dumped with a normal pneumatic cylinder.

It also has the ability to dump sideways, by sliding a mechanical switch that frees the bed on the rear right hand side, while at the same time locks it for rotation around a point on the front left-hand side:

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

The red parts in the above picture are part of the switching mechanism to from rear tipping to side tipping.

800x533.jpg

The cabin tilts to reveal, well, not very much really. Due to the steering setup, I had to ditch the fake engine I originally had mounted. As you might spot, I had to use the old stye 14 tooth bevel gears for the steering. This because I used the older style 8L gear racks, and for the gears to mesh properly, this was the best solution.

800x531.jpg

Last picture show the steering setup. While it provides a very good pivot point and fairly good Ackerman geometry, it is not as rigid as a more standardized solution. But I prioritized a good pivot point to keep the aesthetics of the wheel arches as nice as possible.

Again, I reccomend taking a look in the appropriate Bricksafe folder for higher resoution more detailed images.

Hope you like it! :classic:

This is really packed, I'm in awe! I like two way tipping very much. So you have to move two levers to change sides or just one? The details on and behind the cab are fabulous!

Simply stunning. Love the cab, love the features and love the small scale. One of the nicest MOCs I've seen this year.

I saw the first pic and thought it was built with 62.4mm tires and then I realized it was on a smaller scale. The scale of the MOC is what makes it so interesting.

v/r

Andy

Excellent model! I love how much functions you put in this scale and still had room to add cool details, like the equipment tower. Also love the outriggers, simple and looks good.

That truck is so cute. :wub:

Really nice work of combining the small scale with good looks and lots of functionality. I really like it a lot :classic::thumbup:

Personally, I find the truck much better than the small Swingloader.

So small, yet so big! I cannot imagine how you found out how to pack all the functions in such scale.

This is amazing. The double-acting bed and the crane are brilliant pieces of engineering. I also love your steering mechanism. Would you mind if I'd use that on my [TC7] Enforcer?

This is great! So many functions and details in such a small scale. Thanks very much for posting it. :classic:

very good job! nice to see this kinda trucks in a more modest size since they usually are in a world of giants ;)

Thank you all, I am really glad you like it! :thumbup: I am quite overwhelmed with all the positive comments, wasn't really expecting that! :blush:

This is really packed, I'm in awe! I like two way tipping very much. So you have to move two levers to change sides or just one? The details on and behind the cab are fabulous!

It's one sliding switch.

I am quite happy with how the equipment tower turned out, sorry there isn't a better picture of it :sceptic:

Great small truck :)

I love the double pivot tipping bed. More details of that mechanism are much appreciated

Thanks! I'll make a 3D model of the mechanism to give a better understanding.. it really is a very simple design. The other key factor is how the cylinder is attached, to allow it to move the bed in both directions.

This is amazing. The double-acting bed and the crane are brilliant pieces of engineering. I also love your steering mechanism. Would you mind if I'd use that on my [TC7] Enforcer?

Thanks a lot! And of course I wouldn't mind, go right ahead. But like I said, it's not very rigid, and provides somewhat more "sag" in the model than a more solid solution

That's incredible scale!! So compact and so functional. Oh, and so beautiful!

I like this truck a lot,you have made nice job packing all of those functions into such a small moc.

The body works is good too. :classic:

This is probably one of your best moc's. Great functions and styling in a small scale. Very nice!