42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 Rating  

425 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Hello,

Here is my video of 42043 (review coming next week end) :

I tried many, many many times to do a long sequence, but sooner or later, a mistake always occured. Always. It is just impossible to make a perfect video demonstration with zero mistakes in the controls (2 levers for 4 mechanisms + battery box switch to select the direction of the rotation + 4 pneumatic switchs) and to have nice movements on the crane. So, I did my best to present the functions decently, at least.

^ I must say this is the smoothest presentation of the 42043s' functions so far.

I tried many, many many times to do a long sequence, but sooner or later, a mistake always occured. Always. It is just impossible to make a perfect video demonstration with zero mistakes in the controls (2 levers for 4 mechanisms + battery box switch to select the direction of the rotation + 4 pneumatic switchs) and to have nice movements on the crane. So, I did my best to present the functions decently, at least.

Very nice video! Some things I thought of or observed:

• Looks like it is possible to lower the crane slowly by carefully controlling the valve.
  • I notice that the crane lift cylinder has hoses at both ends which means it is actually powered down. This is probably unnecessary since the weight of the boom will always retract the cylinder. Would it be easier to lower smoothly with the retract hose disconnected? Alternatively, the hose could stay connected but the pump could be shut off.
  • The model would be easier to use with a pole reverser. The battery box switch is hard to center.
  • More compressor pumps would be helpful.
  • Models with lots of switches like this are always hard to control intuitively (I even have problems with 8868). It would probably be quite a bit easier if the stickers were installed to give some visual reference of what the switches do.
  • The suspension reminds me of what grazi did on his 5571 tow truck mod:
    800x450.jpg

I notice that the crane lift cylinder has hoses at both ends which means it is actually powered down. This is probably unnecessary since the weight of the boom will always retract the cylinder. Would it be easier to lower smoothly with the retract hose disconnected? Alternatively, the hose could stay connected but the pump could be shut off.

The thing is that if you want to take material correctly, it is necessary to have a vertical pressure, in order to be able to "dig" the ground (sand, for example).

Excavator FSB002 had some holes not connected. Visually, it does work ok. But technically, the excavator can not dig.

The model would be easier to use with a pole reverser. The battery box switch is hard to center.

It would make things a bit easier, but it is far from being the main problem on the set.

Models with lots of switches like this are always hard to control intuitively (I even have problems with 8868)

4 stwitches are not such a big deal. Like other model, having 2 gearboxes for 4 mechanismes (set 9396 for example), it is not so hard to control.

But having 4 pneumatic switch + 4 mechanismes+ remember in what direction you have to activate each of them to have the movement you want... It is just too difficult...

Not to mention that many moves are incompatible. For example, if the bucket is on the way when you rotate the crane, you just ruin everything. Or if you retract the 2nd big cylinder, the weight will do less pressure on the first cylinder (main articulation), and the arm will go up. In other words, functions are not as independant as they seems to be...

More compressor pumps would be helpful.

That is what I thought too. But in fact, 1 compressor is enough.

Believe me, with all the controls, there are enough things you have to think to... More pressure would make things even faster, and so even more difficult. The rotation of the crane for example is very very fast, and it is almost impossible to control.

Slow pneumatic moves are almost a relief, IMO...

The thing is that if you want to take material correctly, it is necessary to have a vertical pressure, in order to be able to "dig" the ground (sand, for example).

Excavator FSB002 had some holes not connected. Visually, it does work ok. But technically, the excavator can not dig.

I guess if it is supposed to be an excavator then you are right, but I think is intended to be more of a crane. In a real device like this used to scoop sand or loose soil, there would probably be enough vertical pressure from the weight on the buckets. In the case of the model, I just wondered if it would be any easier to control with that upper hose disconnected.

The 8421 crane had no hoses for the retract sides of the cylinders, and that actually made it even more difficult to lower the boom slowly. Some people completed the circuit to make it more controllable. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that as the boom lowers the CG moves farther away and therefore the moment increases. This compresses the air in the cylinders and makes them retract even if you stop the air from escaping. Incompressible fluids are easier!

I am very interested to see how this looks next to Han's dragline excavator:

800x600.jpg

Hello,

Here is my video of 42043 (review coming next week end) :

Very crisp video, with a clear demonstration. Nice work!!! I can acknowledge it's hard to do a perfect video :laugh:

You solved it very well, by pasting the different parts of the video :thumbup:

Very nice review Jim your pictures are great as always.

I look forward to getting this set latter this year.

#Deservers a Banana.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Great review and amazing pictures! I actually just found about this set through Sariel's videos (Don't ask me how I missed this). So I think it is time for me to get back into technic with this set because I have not gotten a technic set since I believe 2003 or maybe 2005 so this set may be a challenge because technic has changed a lot in this 10-12 years that I haven't been building technic. New things TO ME are the pneumatics, big gearboxes, and a lot of new parts that I haven't used because they aren't usually in city or train sets so for me personally this will be a whole new building experience and a great way to get back into technic

Good Review!

-RailCo

Fantastic review. There seem to be a lot of new parts with this model which have very specific applications. The suspension is really nice, as is the steering.

I would definitely consider buying this model!

Great review, outstanding information. The more I learn about this set I think I may have to get it. I'm just looking forward to when the sets are actually released here and I can go look at them first hand.

I have not gotten a technic set since I believe 2003 or maybe 2005 so this set may be a challenge because technic has changed a lot in this 10-12 years that I haven't been building technic.

Wow, they have had several fantastic sets released over the last few years. I think Lego has really stepped up their game with the Technics these past few years..

Great review, outstanding information. The more I learn about this set I think I may have to get it. I'm just looking forward to when the sets are actually released here and I can go look at them first hand.

Wow, they have had several fantastic sets released over the last few years. I think Lego has really stepped up their game with the Technics these past few years..

Yeah I know hopefully it will be a fun build since I have never had built a gearbox from lego and I haven't used many of the new parts and suspension items

Edited by Rail Co

I really enjoy the gearing in technics. I've heard the new crawler crane has the most complex, I kind of like quantity.

It is nice and complex, you'll enjoy it very much if you like gears. I wouldn't say it has the most complex gear trains though, which is to be expected at this part count.

The second axle is connected to the chassis. This axle uses a 6L Technic Link for steering. Using different links results in different steering angles for both axles. I did notice a strange anomaly; the front axle does have 1L Round Pin Connectors, while the second axle doesn't. The leftover parts only show one extra?!

The second axle doesn't need 1L round pin connector. It does steer less than the first axle, so 48989.gifnever hits the black parts.

Four Flexible Rubber Axles are used in the base of the chassis. I am not entirely sure why TLG used these parts, since you will lock the assembly using liftarms. Possibly, it's a construction used in the real Mercedes, or these parts will be used in the B-model. I would love to hear your thoughts.

19200289082_e90cb65104_c.jpg

If you look carefully, you will see that the gap between the 2 15459.jpg attached with frictionless pins is slightly longer than 2L. In other words, it is not in the systems, and so rubber parts are necessary to go out of the system.

If you look carefully, you will see that the gap between the 2 15459.jpg attached with frictionless pins is slightly longer than 2L. In other words, it is not in the systems, and so rubber parts are necessary to go out of the system.

^Well spotted :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thank for that ,only noticed it now and now I understand why my rear axle I've build is stiff and not as as flexible as this.

Is it possibile to see a side pic of the truck with the wheels of the first 2 axels mounted on the other side? Thanks, appreciated ;)

Here is one of the pic of my review, but not sure if it is exactly what you want :

42043-32.JPG

Thanks for your pic, wasn't what i wanted but for my mistake, try to write it in a better way :D

I want a full truck side pic with the wheels of the 1st and 2nd axel fixed reserve, so they are like in the front axel of the 9397 for example, with the rim on the outside....

Thanks again and sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for your pic, wasn't what i wanted but for my mistake, try to write it in a better way :D

I want a full truck side pic with the wheels of the 1st and 2nd axel fixed reserve, so they are like in the front axel of the 9397 for example, with the rim on the outside....

Thanks again and sorry for my bad english.

So you just want wheels installed backwards?

Sorry if I missed this in earlier parts of this review but I have heard many different realease dates for this set and I am wondering if there is a concrete date and if VIP's will get an early access to buy this. From what I have heard it will come out August but I don't see it on Shop @ Home but other people have said September. It would be much appreciated if anyone had information about when the release date for this set is

Thanks again!

-RailCo

Will there be a review of the B-model? There have been only a few B models that have interested me and this happen to be one of them.