42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 Rating  

425 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

(And to make some of you jealous: I got my box for 85CHF = 77€ in an after-Christmas sale where I spotted it at 170CHF but was told at the checkout it was 50% off…)

That is a bargain. I managed to get a second one for 130CHF from Manor. 85 is a bargain. I know COOP were selling them cheap online.

I do think that sometimes us Swiss residents pay more for our lego, as the CHF:EURO rate fluctuates so much.

I have now nearly built the truck (cab + load bay yet to be done).

But while checking the pneumatic crane, I found it quite poor! The crane often falls down under its own load (I think I got it assembled correctly as someone else I read that other people complaint about same issue).

I wonder whether replacing pneumatic cylinders with Linear Actuators would have been a better option. :look:

Otherwise, even the unfinished model with all cogs visible in the chassis looks great.

I just finished putting this model together... I was honestly thinking about skipping it because I felt it was too similar to the Unimog, but since it had quite a few nice new parts I wanted to have a go with I grabbed it. I'm very glad I did!

I really like the look of this, in particular the cab, the functions on it operate very cleanly. The crane arm works better than I expected it would too! including the rotation. (though I found routing the tubes took a lot of care).

But while checking the pneumatic crane, I found it quite poor! The crane often falls down under its own load (I think I got it assembled correctly as someone else I read that other people complaint about same issue).

For me the crane parts and construction are behaving as expected (well very tricky to get the routing of the tubes through the base without impeding movement of parts admittedly).

I've done a test where from resting in the tray just now

• I've fully extended the middle cylinder
  • Raised the crane so that it is just over parallel with the floor
  • Extended the boom to max
  • Then I shut down the compressor and close all pneumatic junctions
  • Then rotated the arm while at max reach out to one side.

I've left it there for 10 mins now with an object close to it so I can see if it drops any - so far it doesn't seem to have.

My first though would be to check connections and the like, though I'm not an expert on what could go wrong with assembling pnuematics (loose hose, pinched tube??), perhaps the main one could be the tube routing causing tension pulling the arm at certain positions - though I would expect that to be a problem when the arm is closed rather than fully extended out (perhaps it is bunching somewhere pressing or pulling an arm?)

I'd be pretty disappointed if not all (new style) cylinders are created equal.

Edited by Alternator

Just finished building this magnificent set!

I am a huge fan of 8421 (Mobile Crane) and 8258 (Crane Truck). There are my favourite Technic sets!

And I had high expectations from the Arocs, which were met as I was building the set!

This thing is big and so beautiful! I couldn't believe that I enjoyed more building the cab and the tipping bed.

It's probably because that was when Arocs became a "real" truck!

The gearbox was the part of 8258 that I loved when building and when I realized what it was capable of doing!

It's been years since I built the 8258, but I do not recall many differences in the construction between the two sets.

Still, great gearbox!

Where the Arocs overtook my two favourite sets was when building the rear suspension and the crane!

Huge, heavy, full of hoses and pneumatics! Really likes the idea of pumping air to the pneumatic with power function!

Overall, the most advanced and beautiful Technic set I have!

Great review Jim!

I just finished the 42043 -A. For the most part it as a fun build, however for me, not as innovative as the 42009 - A or B or the 42042 - A. This model took me about 18 hours over 12 build days (you can't say I don't get my money's worth out of LEGO) about $11 per hour or $17 per day. Maybe this is a better way to cost out LEGO instead of price per piece. I plan to build the B model as well, so cost per hour and per day will go down :)

The build was enjoyable and the functions work as advertised, but I do not believe the pneumatic functions work as well as they should, but that's just me, I like linear actuators more than pneumatics, maybe there is a better place for pneumatics.

The gearbox was interesting, but hard to use as you have to go from one side of the truck to the other to use different functions. I wish more gearboxes were like the one on the 42042 where the functions are accessed and reversed at the gearbox, instead of having to go from gearbox to battery box to reverse functions.

Overall I really enjoyed the build, but not as much as the 42009 or 42042.

I guess my next build will be the 42043 - B. At this time I only plan to build the trailer as that is what looks most interesting to me. But maybe I should build the cab to get he cost per hour for this set down ;) ;)

Andy D

Granted, the pneumatic functions can be a bit of a hassle at times. I have this problem where the crane no longer rotates because of the dust build up in the gears and the friction of the pneumatic hoses.

I only have section 6 to build on 42043 but a part is missing the shortest grey hose, so waiting for lego to reply. Bit of a set back but can still finish the model.

I will merge this with the Review topic.

I only have section 6 to build on 42043 but a part is missing the shortest grey hose, so waiting for lego to reply. Bit of a set back but can still finish the model.

I experienced this within the first 30 minutes of starting my build on 42043, only it was a 20 tooth cog. Luckily I pilfered one off my 42009 so I could carry on....I then purchased off a trading site here in NZ to replace it

Edited by AdrienHolden

I just finished the 42043 B model yesterday. As I mentioned I was only intrested to the functions so I only built the trailer. The gearbox was not as interesting as some, but OK. The functions are interesting. I like the linear actuator landing gear, the crane rotation is interesting, though limited by pneumatic hoses, but because I eliminated one pneumatic cylinder I only have 6 sets of hoses instead of 8, so the crane rotation works much better.

My favorite function is the very, very clever outriggers! I will use them again! On some MOC! The only thing is I would like the outriggers better if they weren't so fast, I will gear them down when I re-use them.

The pneumatics continue to be my least favorite Technic function. I am really not a fan of their very fast collapse, and they really (in my limited experience) do not hold position very well, except when powered, and it is the when powered that causes another problem.

After they reach full travel (in or out) it seems that the pressure starts to build and the motor starts to labor. Maybe an air reseviour would help. Pump up the reseviour then just use the stored pressure. I know that LEGO did produce a tank, but it is not included with any modern pneumatics set that I have seen.

So without the tank, what is the best solution to the pressure build up?

Andy D

P.s. Next build an all grey 42009B

Edited by Andy D

I bought this off eBay for 165 Euro with shipping, the box was badly damaged...ergo the price reduction, but the contents were untouched.

Its sitting on top my wardrobe teasing me to build it....nah, you wait!...I have other fish to fry (evil laugh)

I like the B model, it uses most of the parts. My only issue is that you ate basically building the truck section twice. U brlive both A and B ate identical builds.

As such its not as appealing, though one could build using different colour panels I guess.

I bought this off eBay for 165 Euro with shipping, the box was badly damaged...ergo the price reduction, but the contents were untouched.

I've bought mine as New a few days ago from amazon.de for the same price. Tough i don't know from where you are. I guess GB based on the name :D

Ireland.

Ah well, close i guess :). Its a good deal tough, considering that it was with shipment.

I was happy to pay 165, 150 + 15 shipping from Germany. Didn't give a toss about the box.... and I had not seen any discounts from say Argos or Toys.ie

I experienced this within the first 30 minutes of starting my build on 42043, only it was a 20 tooth cog. Luckily I pilfered one off my 42009 so I could carry on....I then purchased off a trading site here in NZ to replace it

Weird... Thus far, I've noticed two missing pieces during the build of my 42043 set. Or incorrect pieces, I should rather say: a Dark Bley Axle 4 with stop that was supposed to be a Dark Tan Axle 5 with stop in the number 1 bags, and now, in bag 3, a light bley axle 3 appears to have been mysteriously transmogrified into a black axle 4. It's getting to be rather frustrating!

Weird... Thus far, I've noticed two missing pieces during the build of my 42043 set. Or incorrect pieces, I should rather say: a Dark Bley Axle 4 with stop that was supposed to be a Dark Tan Axle 5 with stop in the number 1 bags, and now, in bag 3, a light bley axle 3 appears to have been mysteriously transmogrified into a black axle 4. It's getting to be rather frustrating!

Hm, i've noticed this in quite a few sets back in my City-era, but usually they put in a paper saying that part "x" is replaced by part "y".

Just built this with my kids (4 and 6). I've built most of the flagships from the last 10 years.

The Arocs is very very good. It's densely packed with functions, and it looks great.

Pros

- looks great

- full suspension, not too hard, not too soft, good range of movement

- drivetrain and a full 6 cylinder fake engine

- double rear tyres

- unusual non-gear-rack steering mechanic, which gives reliable positive control and is and easy to use

- lightweight strong tipping bed

- outriggers and crane can be moved by hand (for example, when batteries are flat)

- opening doors (this amazed my 4 year old more than any other feature)

- cab looks much better in reality than photos (the doors look like a mess of beams in the product shots, total non-issue in reality)

- nice modular build, and repeated patterns, at some points my kids were building a module each, and building the same sub-assemblies for front and rear chassis, interesting

- good size, I don't like sets that are larger than this, too long to build, too much shelf-space needed :classic:

Cons

- crane arm is unplayable, the pneumatics are sluggish to lift, and drop like a stone. The bucket won't grasp a load. That's expected, the pipe runs are long, the pump is small. Every pneumatic knuckleboom crane has a similar issue.

- dump bed tailgate doesn't latch effectively, and will open while driving the truck around

Apart from the crane, it's hard to see how this could have been better.

Comparisons

- 8258 crane truck: spanks it, the 8258 had a strong crane, but slow and boring. The cab, engine, chassis are all much better on the Arocs.

- Unimog: spanks it, Arocs controls are better, use of motorisation is better, Arocs looks better, and for my taste the Mog is too big (ymmv)

- 8285 tow truck: this is a favourite set of mine, when it was released it raised the bar a long way for Technic. But the Arocs is in another league.

Question: I'm building this right now and just finished the 2nd part (outriggers). I wanted to know why the designer opted to use a blue friction axle pin instead of a tan frictionless axle pin for one of the gears for extending the outriggers.

Before placing this gear, the outriggers would easily slide in and out. But after adding that single gear with the blue pin, it takes a lot more force to get them to move.

I just tried out the motor and while it has no problem pushing the outriggers out, I noticed that the motion is jerky, the white clutch gear slips a lot, and the overall speed of the outriggers are slow.

Is this really the right way to do it? What if I replaced that blue axle pin with a tan one?

I wondered the same. Later it becomes obvious. When the clutch is disengaged, the outriggers can be moved in and out freely. This is a good thing, as it means they can be used without the motor (dead batteries etc), so more playable. But they rely on the friction pin to keep them in, otherwise they would deploy whilst driving around :wink:

Unrelated, but following from my mini-review above, the performance of the crane is night-and-day better when pumped manually with a single pneumatic spring pump. It's completely playable with manual pump. I also tried an airtank, but it just adds latency imho :classic:

A true Lego Technic set in my opinion!

A very nice mix of Power Functions, pneumatics and at a very reasonable price. It is a good value for money this set.

Also it is challenging enough to build, even for seasoned builders!

I consider this to be one of the best Technic sets Lego released in recent years.

Can someone show how the B model outriggers work? I'm interested how they achieve the 2 stages of movement in one process.