42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 Rating  

425 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

someone mentioned to put the yellow springs on the rear axles. on my mod this is much to stiff

So far the only technic build I've put together is Model B of the Mobile Crane MKII (I was drawn to this build because I used to work around a lot of container stackers... Kalmar). I'm super excited about this one; can't wait to go buy it! Great in-depth review.

The arocs aslo has availave air suspension, not just leaf springs.

But lovely review! I love all the sets of this wave!!

My wallet is crying...

that was a sure buy since january..

This fantastic review just confirmed that

The arocs aslo has availave air suspension, not just leaf springs.

But lovely review! I love all the sets of this wave!!

My wallet is crying...

That's right! I really didn't like any set of 1H 2015! But i preordered all three technic sets of this summer.

Is there a comparison of the 42043 to the Crane Mk2 42009 any where? If not I would love to find out how you would compare these two massive sets. I have had my eye on the Mk2 crane for some time but now this set looks nice as well. At this time I can only afford one so I want to make sure I have all the info.

Is there a comparison of the 42043 to the Crane Mk2 42009 any where? If not I would love to find out how you would compare these two massive sets. I have had my eye on the Mk2 crane for some time but now this set looks nice as well. At this time I can only afford one so I want to make sure I have all the info.

I'm not sure how you would compare them. They are completely different.

The 42043 has more useful pieces, redesigned versions of clutch gears/driving rings, is more complex, is more detailed and has that beautiful MB logo. I own the 42009 but if I were to choose between the two I would definitely get the 42043. The strengths of the 42009 include the beautifully complicated gearbox and the very innovative outriggers. The crane itself isn't that impressive imho but if you like mobile-cranes, it's a pretty good set.

Buy 42009 as it is an older set and would be retired before 42043 does. Save up to buy 42043 later.

Here's the 42009 review on EB: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=85129

You'll have to do your own comparison...

Thanks guys. I understand they are very different models and it is not an apples to apples comparison. I like the gearing in Technics to I think either one would be great just never had the opportunity to have hands on. I'm always looking for new parts and unique assembly methods. The closest thing to a crane I have is the 42006 Excavator, so they are somewhat foreign to me. I'm not a huge fan of trucks but I think the pneumatic arm in the 42043 would be a pretty big plus for it. I'll compare the reviews and see if I can come up with some straight comparisons between the two.

Is there a comparison of the 42043 to the Crane Mk2 42009 any where? . At this time I can only afford one so I want to make sure I have all the info.

First I don't think you can compare them!

Second, the 42009 costs half of the price of the 42043.....I just don't see where are you going with this...LOL :tongue:

Second, the 42009 costs half of the price of the 42043.....I just don't see where are you going with this...LOL :tongue:

Don't exaggerate. They are pretty much in the same price range. The 42043 is a bit more expensive, but defintely not twice as expensive.

Thanks guys. I understand they are very different models and it is not an apples to apples comparison. I like the gearing in Technics to I think either one would be great just never had the opportunity to have hands on. I'm always looking for new parts and unique assembly methods. The closest thing to a crane I have is the 42006 Excavator, so they are somewhat foreign to me. I'm not a huge fan of trucks but I think the pneumatic arm in the 42043 would be a pretty big plus for it. I'll compare the reviews and see if I can come up with some straight comparisons between the two.

As dr_spock suggested; read the review of the 42009 and compare it with the 42043, based on this review. Only you can determine what's important to you.

Don't exaggerate. They are pretty much in the same price range. The 42043 is a bit more expensive, but defintely not twice as expensive.

Well £108 VS £169...ok not twice as much but one you can tell the difference!

Edited by TheItalianBrick

Well £108 VS £169...ok not twice as much but one you can tell the difference!

It depends on your country. In The Netherlands I can get both sets for 159 euro (pre-order offer for the 42043), although the normal price for the 42043 will be around 179.

(this is based on online shopping prices, not retail)

It depends on your country. In The Netherlands I can get both sets for 159 euro (pre-order offer for the 42043), although the normal price for the 42043 will be around 179.

we are pretty lucky in UK as few weeks after the official release we get 25% off at Smythtoys!

Any more details where you could pre-order the 42043 for that price? My local Lego shop will sell it for € 177,95 but getting it even cheaper is always nice.

Any more details where you could pre-order the 42043 for that price? My local Lego shop will sell it for € 177,95 but getting it even cheaper is always nice.

I always search Markplaats and try to find a reliable seller.

http://link.marktplaats.nl/a1017095389

I have no experience with this seller, but it might be worth contacting him.

I am not sure this example is very relevant. If they made only very hard video games, there would be only hard core gamer. Today, in most video games you can chose the level of difficulty. Something like : very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard, extrem.

Moreover, I sincerely doubt that the goal of a Lego set it too have something difficult so that a kid needs 2 weeks before being able to use it properly...

I played quite a lot with 42043, and I can not imagine a 12 yo kid controlling it correctly...

I challenge any adult to do the following sequence with no mistake (you have to know the function of each lever, and know in what direction to push the interruptor for each (!) function) and no hesitation (too easy if you think 20 seconds between each moves). I consider this sequence to be something normal and realistic to use correctly the features of the set :

- outtriggers out horizontaly then vertically

- rise the arm and take it out of the bucket

- rotate the crane on one side

- open the claw

- lower the arm slowly, with the 2 big cylinders

- extend the arm with telescopic function

- close the claw and take some materials (sand, anything)

- raise the arm slowly

- rotate the crane to have the claw above the bucket

- lower the arm and retract the telescopic section

- open the claw, drop slowly what you picked up before

- close the claw, raise the arm, and rotate the crane on the side you want

- rise the bucket

- do not forget to open it at the back

- lower the bucket

- close the back

- fold the crane in the bucket (rotate it abowe the bucket, then lower it carefully)

- outtriggers up, then in.

- finally, interruptor off.

Kill me now...

hahaha I've had 8455 for many years now I still make mistakes....

hahaha I've had 8455 for many years now I still make mistakes....

there's a good reason you need an operator certificate after training to operate large plant. Good control layout and marking helps a lot as well, but you train people to use these things in the dark!

Am I the only one thinking the crane arm is a bit too heavy to be lifted by the pneumatics?

Yes :grin:.

A single big pneumatic 2M wide cylinder (old/new) is able to give almost 3 KG of pressure. Combined with a small amount of leverage, the weight of the remaining parts after that section of the crane is a joke. Even the added momentum when fully extended is not interesting, since 42043 comes with a bucket which can't be loaded with much weight.

When people mod the arm with a hook and want to lift much weight though, it will take time to have the compressor collect enough air to build up the needed pressure. A second pump is advantageous then.

Am I the only one thinking the crane arm is a bit too heavy to be lifted by the pneumatics?

yes you are the only one....