42043 - Mercedes-Benz Arocs 3245 Rating  

425 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Spectacular thing... of course a must buy. This will be a long to remember set that we will talk about later with fond memories ;)

Pneumatics is maybe nice to try and nice to see how it works in Lego and compare it with real life but for me when the boom falls down is UNACCEPTABLE and degrade the sense of to use it... So I stay rather by normal LAs... More fun to play with it...

Max...

Jim- Nice build. I try not to read the reviews on sets that I want to build, but with LeMans coming out, not sure if I have enough money for this set too. It looks nice! Your review is outstanding!

impressive in deed , Jim excelent review !

off the record, have you noticed that the fake engine has been increased on speed ? We have gear z24 driving the z8 - this will speed up the pistons movement inside the engine.

Lately I noticed that most of Technic models with fake engines had low speed "engines" where the sets from pre-studless era always were high rotation ones.

Examples:

Low speed

High Speed:

Still the fact is that this is probably the most top of the top set in last decade or even more ...

Regards

Edited by AOW

Looks like a great model.. need to have one :P

And anothee excellent review Jim

Thanks a lot for the time and effort you put into these these photo 's and outstanding reviews!

Yeah, I always preferred the faster spinning engines.

Pneumatics is maybe nice to try and nice to see how it works in Lego and compare it with real life but for me when the boom falls down is UNACCEPTABLE and degrade the sense of to use it... So I stay rather by normal LAs... More fun to play with it...

Max...

You can lower them as slow as you like by only partially opening the valve. In the video he just opened the valve wide open quite quickly. So it does take a little more skill to operate pneumatics properly, which for me is part of the fun :classic: .

a really great review! :sweet: i am thinking of buying one, honestly, it just doesn't look really sexy, IMO... when is this set going to be released?

Really great review, Jim! :classic: I enjoyed reading it, thanks for the effort you put in this review!

Now I need to buy this set as soon as possible! :wink:

Dave

Thanks for the thourgh review!.

I like seeing the proper close up photos and videos as well as the new parts themselves.

Things I like about this set:

The turntable can have gears bevelled at 90 degrees to it which should save lots of space, I wonder if any wheels and/or tires can be put inside of it so that they sort of act like rollers rather than planetary gears. How many axles can you fit in this turntable hole? (in an evenly spaced matrix)

I like the amount of red clutch gears and clutch rings and how they still use the new parts (this, this, and this)

I like the amount of functions and the design and the size /compctness

I lke the suspention and steering setup though I might put my own setup in.

Shame the outriggers aren't 2 stage like on the 42009 but hey we could always MOD it.

I wish the phenumatics would allow faster air flow (larger nozzle holes) but nice to see the redesigned nozzles which were a major problem priorly.

Snipe

You can lower them as slow as you like by only partially opening the valve. In the video he just opened the valve wide open quite quickly. So it does take a little more skill to operate pneumatics properly, which for me is part of the fun :classic: .

OK Allan... thanx for info... Was it also possible by old pneumatics v1? In such case to lower boom slower?

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

OK Allan... thanx for info... Was it also possible by old pneumatics v1? In such case to lower boom slower?

The new and old valves are functionally identical. It has always been possible to control rate by careful use of the valve, it just takes a little practice.

OK, because I have seen a lot of videos of different MOCs where parts supported by pneumatic valve had moved on back-movement very quickly... Thanx for info... I have to try it on myself somewhere or try to buy this new set on blind and play with it at home... Hmm... When I fall in love with pneumatics, I'm affraid that it starts then mania of buying of additional valves etc... :D

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

The same valve operation applies to the real thing as well. If you open the valves fast on a high lever arm ratio crane arm you'll make the owner of both the crane and whatever you're lifting very unhappy!

Great review, it's soooo much easy to say I BUY IT without concerns with all the details in this review... thanks!

Great review! Thanks for your effort providing us with so much information and fantastic photos.

However, i'm not sure about buying one. Maybe if i find a good deal. I'll try to get the new parts from TLG customer service (worked great for the Volvo bucket) and build the rest from stock inventory.

This set seems also to be predestined for MODs of all kind: 2nd compressor, pneumatic outrigger feet, maybe RC solution for driving and steering.

Great review Jim. The shots are just fantastic. Thanks for sharing :)

What's the loud sound when e.g. you raise the tipping bed, etc. - it's funny because when it appears everyone tries to turn off the battery box asap - I'm worried that it might destroy some parts inside the built vehicle???

Example:

I first recognized this thing with the LEGO Technic Cargo Plane 42025 - it happens there when you open/close the cargo bay area at the rear or at the front - first I thought I had built sth wrong but seems like it's like that?

Can someone explain to me what's happening inside when this sound appears and why can't LEGO stop this? I won't even use the features because I fear that when this sound appears sth might get damaged.

@Jim Will you also publish a written review like this for the Crawler Crane 42042? I'm waiting for a review on the Crawler Crane for days now.

Edited by Emmi

it is the clutch in the actuators. it is activated when the actuator is in end position

Does it damage sth - is it intentional?

Edited by Emmi

It is indeed the clutch so no parts are damaged, but I think TLG should improve/change their design because it does sound horrible.

The clutch gear on the other hand does not sound so bad.

Jim, would it have been better to use the medium springs in the front like the rear instead of the hard springs, or alternatively hard springs in the back like the front?, or is it fine how it is?.

Jim, would it have been better to use the medium springs in the front like the rear instead of the hard springs, or alternatively hard springs in the back like the front?, or is it fine how it is?.

I think softer springs would have been better.

And possibly the harder springs in the rear.

Great review, excellent pics and video!

I like the model a lot BUT what about these outriggers??? manual?? why haven't they used the 42009 system? It's the same problem, for me, of the 8258, the make a perfect model but then "ruin" it with outriggers that aren't completly motorized (as 42009).

And then why they are out of truck shape?? usually outriggers disappear inside and stay in line with the truck shape.....

Despite that small thing, it's a must buy model!