Nacho

Lego 60097 Tram converted to monorail

I finally managed to pick up a space monorail set in decent condition and at a decent price so thought I'd have a play around with it. The space theme didn't really fit into my city! So I had to come up with a plan.

Ever since the 60097 set was released I knew the tram looked ideal so here is my first attempt at converting the 60097 tram set onto monorail.

It seems to work well, you can barely see the battery or the motor so I'm not too bothered about that.

60097c.JPG

Image 1

This layout is just on my kitchen floor, the next stage is to move this into my city, I'll raise the city up and have this mostly running underneath.

This is a short video of it running:

This is the station in it's place from set 60097 and some monorail track set out:

60097d.JPG

Image 2

Edited by Nacho
Changed images to links (images too big)

can you show us a video? Its so cool!

Hi Nacho,

Great work!!

But your images are way too big. Can you resize them to 800 wide (max 1024) to be compliant with side guidelines?

In the meantime, I have changed them to links.

Thanks

Very nice idea. Beautiful modern tram.

Hmmmm, maybe I should try it in my city, since the streets seems so crowded by cars and bikes.

Most probably an expensive way to solve the city-traffic problem during peak hours, but you know...

Can you resize them to 800 wide (max 1024) to be compliant with side guidelines?

Thanks Nacho

Good for TLG, releasing a set with a tram designed for this conversion.

And well done Nacho.

Interesting that this set should cost more than the RRP of the original monorail sets!

Perhaps the centre of gravity is too high for conversion to a faster monorail, but one with standing passengers shouldn't go too fast!

Mark

The centre of gravity has definitely moved a bit, you can tell this is a lot higher than originally intended, I don't think you could go much taller.

I also didn't realise how much of a jolt the train gets when it hits the directional / stop switches! My poor mini figs will be putting neck braces on soon :)

That looks great. I absolutely love the Lego monorail stuff. The tram really does look like it's designed for it.

And I thought the set was expensive before i had to buy a monorail to run it on:) Seeing one on the street will just look incomplete now. Great bricking.

This is awesome. I hope you don't mind me doing the same thing. I want to run a short line near my airport since that part of my city has no active trains. Now that I know it can be done, I think I will run out and buy this set and start working on it. I just need to find a monorail motor.

I like how you have some monorail at street level. Have any more pics?

Edited by kc2dc

This is awesome. I hope you don't mind me doing the same thing. I want to run a short line near my airport since that part of my city has no active trains. Now that I know it can be done, I think I will run out and buy this set and start working on it. I just need to find a monorail motor.

I like how you have some monorail at street level. Have any more pics?

No not at all. I take inspiration from everyone on here, I think that's all part of sharing and browsing the forums.

I'll do some more pictures, I am getting it all set out into my city at the moment.

Aside from the monorail I actually think the 60097 is a great set anyway and worth picking up. I managed to find a discount on it, if you're in the UK see this: http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/15-off-lego-playmobil-k-nex-using-discount-code-hut-2229699

No not at all. I take inspiration from everyone on here, I think that's all part of sharing and browsing the forums.

I'll do some more pictures, I am getting it all set out into my city at the moment.

Aside from the monorail I actually think the 60097 is a great set anyway and worth picking up. I managed to find a discount on it, if you're in the UK see this: http://www.hotukdeal...ode-hut-2229699

Thanks. I will probably pick up the set this weekend so I can start thinking about how to modify it. I just need to find a monorail motor now.

I loved this idea. I really liked the tram but not the rest of the set and was wondering how i would fit in my layout as i have no room on my roads to add trams in.

I have picked up the motor,battery box and monorail bogey plus 8 curves since i have seen this.

Going to Bricklink the tram parts as i don't want the rest of the set, plus take the leap on some straights when i get those parts in and figuring what i need exactly as its too expensive just to guess and have extra parts.

There is only 17 motors left on brick link so trying to decide if i need to pick up a spare before they are ridiculous if 60 bucks isn't already.

Ahh really cool you made it work! Was already thinking of this but never made is to building it, still don't have a decent monorail

This is really quite beautiful. Would love to see more detail on how you hid it all so well in there!

Hi there! What sort of motor is used to run the train on the rail? Although the motors between this and modern train sets are different, can the monorail's engine be easily incorporated into the Infra Red remote setup?