Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

[O - E02] What lies beneath

Tags: Exploration

Lu's Log: 28 Junali 3815

When I started hearing reports that Octan and M.A.N.T.I.S. forces had entered into armed conflict on Jurin II, I initially decided that I wanted to be deployed somewhere far away. I saw enough bloodshed during the Phobos uprising to last a lifetime. Then, I got the call from Dr. Long: one of our orbiting probes detected a magnetic anomaly, similar to the one detected on Hennigan II. "Dr Long," I said, "You had me at 'Magnetic Anomaly."

19226456466_21708d0563_c.jpg

The anomaly was traced to the tidal caves on one of the smaller islands of Jurin II. Our engineers have cooked up a new personal transport system, and once I find a large enough opening I lower myself down into the caves. Normally, this is the kind of exploration that should be done with a team, but everyone else is tied up on the surface. It's a few hours until high tide and even if something were to happen, my suit has at least 6 hours of air. Enough to keep me going until rescue arrived. Hopefully.

I've been walking for about 1.5 km, through damp, dripping tunnels, but my suit indicates that the source of the anomaly should be just around this corner ...

Oh. Oh gods.

Ok, ok, pull yourself together. You've seen worse than this.

17722877618_0b8a923d32_o.jpg Lu calling the O.C.S Axle, come in over.

19064744338_77ecd97fdf_o.jpgLu, this is the Axle, go ahead with message.

Lu: Axle, I've got a code three delta. I repeat, code three delta.

Axle: Copy, uh, stand by. ... Okay, confirm that's a code three delta?

Lu: That's affirmative.

Axle: Alright, I'm sending a team to your coordinates now. I have a few follow up questions, but please keep in mind that this isn't a secure channel.

Lu: Roger, go ahead.

Axle: What is the condition of the remains?

Lu: Skeletal.

Axle: Ok, does it appear that the death was due to natural causes?

Lu: No.

Axle: Alright. And, uh, no offense but I have to ask … is it possible that this is just, you know, one of our people?

Axle: Lu?

19246495162_e0c6ef740b_c.jpg

Lu: No. No this is definitely not one of our people.

Axle: Ok, thank you. ETA for your team is 45 minutes. Axle, out.

18629950754_848642849b_c.jpg

Using my suit to take video, I circle around the ... anomaly, careful not to get too close. Sensors confirm that the chain holding the creature is forged of pure Awesomnium. Although this cave obviously fills with water at high tide, the area around the anomaly appears untouched, as if it's surrounded by an invisible bubble. Impossible to tell how long this has been here, or what it's purpose is. Is this an execution? A burial? A mistake? One of the creature's eyes is covered, the other appears to have something small and red stuffed inside. Negative on radiation or energy readings.

18629935764_6c8bebdf6d_c.jpg

18186685126_319caaebf1_o.jpgLu!

17722877618_0b8a923d32_o.jpg Aaah! Dammit, CLAPPIE, you scared the sh*t out of me. What are you doing here, I didn't activate my guide?

CLAPPIE: I'm always here Lu. Normally, however, I do not reveal myself until you activate your guide.

Lu: That's ... creepy.

CLAPPIE: A more perceptive being might view it as 'reassuring.' After all, I have access to hundreds of orbiting satellites and countless computer systems, while you are limited to your simple meat-based sensors.

Lu: 'Meat-based' sensors... I-

CLAPPIE: Forgive my interruption, but you must evacuate the cave system now, for your own safety.

Lu: What? High tide is still an hour away.

CLAPPIE: Thank you Lu, but I am aware of the tides. If you like, I could calculate the high and low tides for the next one-thousand years, taking into account orbital drift, of course.

Lu: Right...

CLAPPIE: I speak not of the tides, but of the creatures that migrate through this cave, fleeing the tides. They are quite hostile.

I pause. A skittering noise, which I had taken for falling water, has gotten noticeably louder. Ok, time to jog toward the transport.

18631843323_8a63c23f3a_c.jpg

18629902844_b0fae64aee_c.jpg

19064758708_c56e46e125_c.jpg

Later, on the surface...

17722877618_0b8a923d32_o.jpg Phew, thanks CLAPPIE.

18186685126_319caaebf1_o.jpg You're welcome, Lu. I wouldn't want you to come to any harm. I have big plans for us.

17722877618_0b8a923d32_o.jpg Lu to Axle, I've been forced to evacuate the caves, but I don't think the anomaly is going anywhere. I'll be waiting for you on the surface. Lu, out.

----

Ahh, the little seen underwater scorpions! :laugh: The "sacrifice", or whatever it turns out to be, is plenty creepy and I really like how you used the roller skates on the suit.

Nice rockwork! And those scorpions seem to be everywhere... :classic:

Yay scorpions!

Love the undersea life in that cave. Very creepy build of the skeleton too. The story does a great job of tying it all together.

Those rocks are fantastic. :thumbup:

Definitely liking those rocks! Nice!

Thanks guys! This was my first time doing any kind of larger scale sideways rock building; somewhat fragile and I used most of my slopes, but I like how it turned out.

Ahh, the little seen underwater scorpions! :laugh: The "sacrifice", or whatever it turns out to be, is plenty creepy and I really like how you used the roller skates on the suit.

Thanks! I often turn to my 'minifigure accessories' box when I'm trying to figure out small-scale details. Those skates ended up being exactly what I was looking for.

Nice rockwork! And those scorpions seem to be everywhere... :classic:

Yay scorpions!

Love the undersea life in that cave. Very creepy build of the skeleton too. The story does a great job of tying it all together.

The 'anomaly' is creepy enough, but the story really adds to it, fantastic job!

Thank you! I figured it was time I got onboard the scorpion bandwagon (now there's a disturbing mental image). I'm glad you liked the story; sometimes I worry it's too long, and there's always more story in my head than makes it onto the page...

I figured the galaxy needed some unexplained, creepy mysteries, so this is my contribution to that end :classic:

Great rocks, cool story and underwater scorpions. Now that's a combination for success! :laugh::wink: Great work on this one. :thumbup:

YES! The hilarious return of CLAPPIE! :grin:

Brilliant story aside, this is a great build! Loads of fantastic details! :thumbup:

Great rocks, cool story and underwater scorpions. Now that's a combination for success! :laugh::wink: Great work on this one. :thumbup:

Thank you! I'm glad I was finally able to use those scorpions I've been stockpiling for years ...

:classic:

YES! The hilarious return of CLAPPIE! :grin:

Brilliant story aside, this is a great build! Loads of fantastic details! :thumbup:

Thanks Big Sal! CLAPPIE has been fun to work into the stories, although I realized I'll need to explain why his syntax and voice recognition have improved since the last build :look:

The judges awarded you 5 points.

Thanks judges!

Excellent rocks right there!

Nice build!

Thank you!

Great story, I really like the creepiness of the "anomaly

Thanks! When I first built the skeleton it started creeping me out, so I knew I had a winner :classic:

Edited by LucasLaughing

Wow, That is excellent rock work right there. Also I like the amount details in this build. That is a very neat story. Good work on everything! You had me at magnetic anomalies as well, I love it! :classic:

Sorry I waited so long to respond to this, but, quite literally, I was saving the best for last. I think this is my favorite build in AG so far. You scared me. Maybe I was a little drunk when I first saw this, but wow. Excellent work creating the unsettling tone, and the reveal was just stupendous! What a wicked alien artifact! That's just so creepy! I love the awesomnium chain, and the four arms. The build itself is clean and well photographed, as is your MO, but the story, as always, is where it's at! I really wanted to reference it in my own build last week, but, as mentioned, I was a tad tipsy at time of posting and didn't feel I could do it justice. Once again, your Clappie serves as both a comedic, and unsettling device, and the "plans" it has for Lu, I can't wait to see. :devil: You really outdid yourself Lucas! Great megablocking job!

~Insectoid Aristocrat