Sign in to follow this  
Niloc

[K - B06] Miracle of Life

----------

Log 4 - Miracle of Life

On the eve of his crucial and secret mission, Marcus receives an unexpected transmission from one of many probes he launched in the first days of colonization. The sentinel’s discovery might very well be the key to robotics’ next step…

----------

Night had fallen on Guinevere as I left Garden Gold with a new objective. But to lead our mission, me and special agent Nova had to get back to the front line. Well, far over the front line to be precise. Hundreds and hundreds of kilometer through the endless desert, our stealth hovercraft slithered between volcanoes and MANTIS patrollers, closing on a rally point our spies had secured.

Nights are long on Guinevere. Don't know if it's due to the scorching heat or the fact I can never close my eyes. Must be the latter, since Nova fell asleep in a matter of minutes, lying in the craft's corridor with his usual pose. Heck, I've been with him less than a day and I already know his usual pose, hands over knees, black katana hanging near, head tilted to the front, not so much as to give the impression he's awake. Like he could strike at any time.

Why can't I sleep? Is it danger I fear? New surroundings? Or is it only my friggin legs that hurt as always? Anyway, I don't waste my time doing nothin' while standing around like an idiot. I guess some would find me pretty stupid anyway, as I read instead. Yup, read. Manuals, logs and other guys reports that I can find on the virtual board...

INCOMING REPORT, INCOMING REPORT. ATTENTION.

"What the heck!", I say surprised as I bump my head on a crate. The report sound beeps continuously from my helmet. The flickering red light blinds me in the darkness. What the...? Who would send a report at that time? I stretch my arm to reach the helmet, I put it on and I listen...

8utFGVJ.jpg On Sorn... Encrypted transmission from ISEE-3, location on Sorn. I repeat, encrypted transmission from...

0tL1sme.jpg Alright, alright, this is N.K Marcus on Guinevere, I hear you. ISEE-3, is that really you?.. Can't be! Identify yourself and your request.

8utFGVJ.jpg Sir Marcus, it's a pleasure to hear from you. It is I, ISEE-3 Sentinel Unit 5 speaking. I am currently probing on Sorn as you have requested. I have come across a very, very interesting specimen. I think it will peak your interest as much as mine. I have run and rerun the scanners, sending you the data as we speak.

(...)

W1TDB1G.jpg

ISEE-3. He's part of a couple of drones I've programmed when I was still on Orinshi, waiting for my cybernetic legs, I was running strategic scans for Leadership council and that's when I met him. Well... "met" is a big word. You can't really meet a program, can ya? Anyway, he was coordinating the medical bay all by himself, which was pretty impressive. I thought he had potential for exploration, so I copied his program and re-wrote its code, which was indeed perfectly fit for data retranscription.

Anyway, anyone would be bored if I got into more details, but I asked the 1st Colonial Fleet if they could take a bunch of ISEE-3's probes and connect its data to the main center, so that I could follow their every move. I lost every single signal after day 1. Never thought I would hear of him again...

0tL1sme.jpg Are you sure this data is correct ISEE-3? Seems pretty impossible to me, honestly. What you're basically saying is that you're looking at growing metal. Not very believable if ya ask me.

8utFGVJ.jpg It is correct, sir. Unbelievable, indeed, but I see it with my own 200 eyes.

0tL1sme.jpg Turn in Manual Mode, ISEE-3. I'm lucky we're on adjacent planets, maybe I can take control without too much interference.

8utFGVJ.jpg As you wish, sir.

And in a second, I could see through the probe's eyes, control his movements. So I got closer to that whatever "living metal", and I saw... A green plant, glowing. But it wasn't a normal plant. It was hypnotizing, as hard as rock and as shiny as silver. I scanned it. Once. Twice... I couldn't believe it. It was checking the properties of a living organism, while showing the shape of metal...

0tL1sme.jpg Manual mode off, back to automatic ISEE-3. What we've got here is like a miracle. Send an emergency signal to the closest crew, ASAP. Tell em' the reports. Take samples for the labs. They're gonna enjoy it like it's paradise. Good job, ISEE. Protect the plant at all cost. Don't let it fall in the bad hands... See ya ISEE, soon enough I guess. Good luck.

ENDING TRANSMISSION.

If there was no mistake, we had found our first biomechanical species in the history of Terra. Heck, I couldn't believe it. Everything it could represent... A new horizon could open. Who knows? I guess I had to give it to our scientists and see...

Back to the mission. No way I would sleep now.

For Glory and Honor

----------

-- DATABASE --

Another view of the ISEE-3 Sentinel #5 - Flight mode:

9hW1BtR.jpg

Those probes are versatile, solid and very intelligent, as per Kawashita requirements. What's also great about ISEE-3 sentinels is that they know how to... "clean up the trash"... :devil: [WARNING - Security clearance - May not be suitable for the faints of heart]

Introducing the new Kawashita Gift Maker T-800... "Throw him in!... Good job, ISEE-3! That's how you do it! Get off Sorn you bastards!"

mpC9SE9.jpg

And one more surprise box delivery for MANTIS, one more! :devil::laugh:

Yup, last-minute-fast-&-bad-lightened build. That's my type! :tongue:

Edited by Niloc

Nice build! Those plants are great - very alien :thumbup: Kawashita sure are making lots of important discoveries this week!

Great story and wonderful drone! :thumbup: :thumbup: Two thumbs up. So many great ideas that I would love to replicate here in AG and this is definitely one of them!

Thanks a lot everyone!

Nice build! Those plants are great - very alien :thumbup: Kawashita sure are making lots of important discoveries this week!

Every new day is a landmark for Kawashita! :laugh: Thanks!

I like the drone, has a bit of a Matrix feel to it.

So I'm not crazy! :tongue: This is where the idea to call it a ISEE-3 sentinel came from. Must be the multiple eyes. Thanks!

Edited by Niloc

That's a really sweet submersible! I like the overall rounded and aquatic shape. :thumbup: