Sign in to follow this  
kc2dc

Finally got the entire city layout running again!

It's been a while since I have posted, but it's also been a while since my city has been fully operational. After a few expansions and updates, the trains are running again and so I made a video and thought I would share it here. I have gotten some great feedback from people here and implemented many recommendations, so please let me know what you think. I don't get a chance to show my city off much, so this is one of my only places to get feedback.

Keep in mind that I'm very limited on space now, so while the city is very built up, I have always tried to make a realistic functioning well thought out city my main goal.

Thanks!

Edited by kc2dc

That's a really cool looking city! Really wish I had the space for more than one loop *and* actual buildings... :(

Is it a permanent display? If so, does it gather a lot of dust and/or how do you keep it clean?

I leave Lego in my room, and after a month it's already covered in dust...

Is it a permanent display? If so, does it gather a lot of dust and/or how do you keep it clean?

I leave Lego in my room, and after a month it's already covered in dust...

Yes it's permanent, but it really doesn't get too dusty. Probably because we never open windows and keep the door shut so not much gets in there.

That's a really cool looking city! Really wish I had the space for more than one loop *and* actual buildings... :(

Well it's kind of embarrassing. I mean, when we have visitors, they have to sleep on an air mattress on the floor somewhere because the legos live in our spare bedroom!

Well it's kind of embarrassing. I mean, when we have visitors, they have to sleep on an air mattress on the floor somewhere because the legos live in our spare bedroom!

Haha, guests, you're doing it right!

This is one of the best private city layouts Ive ever seen - looks incredible and very well planned out. So much too see I but i really like the main street with rail yard behind (and extra long maersk with truck chassis), elevated monorail above and construction zone at the end - really cool. Also really like the use of the park with big apple to create a separate residential area and tracks to separate the incredible industrial/harbor/airport zone - feels like a real life city! Also great to have those shots taken from the monorail and ferris wheel - felt like i was really up in one, anyway great work, cant wait to see the next update!

Fun video! Thanks for sharing your wonderful city and layout. I wasn't expecting so many trains moving all at once all over the place.

That is a fantastic town you have there. I don't normally look at videos of peoples towns but I am really glad I did in this case.

Thanks again for the replies. I made the video, but my son is who is talking. While I designed most of the city, it's my son that got me back into legos. I'm an urban planner, so the city is basically an extension of that. Everything about the city has to make sense and be a part of a master plan. We have really tried to design a functioning city within the space we have. My son is the same way, he won't even allow anything in the city that is not realistic (in lego world), so nothing that's out of scale, no super heros or simpsons :).

The city actually does make sense. There is a single road that connects it all together and it wraps around a bay (some of the bay is open table, so imaginary). You can drive the long way around from the airport to the downtown or simply take the train across the river. There is a train yard, a downtown, a suburban area, and the airport area.

It's a lot of fun, but now we are thinking of ways to utilize the space and expand. One thing I may do is build a hill side and tunnel on the back and put the single family homes on top of the train tracks to free up some space there. The only other thing I can really do is to start going up and making the buildings taller.

Regardless, it's been fun building it and I still enjoy the design aspect of trying to fit a full function city with so many moving parts and trains into such a small space.

Very nice layout and great collection of trains but the HE should go a little faster than the maersk train just for a more realistic display

P.S. The airport is great

Very nice layout and great collection of trains but the HE should go a little faster than the maersk train just for a more realistic display

P.S. The airport is great

Yea, I noticed that too, "after" I made the video :)

I'm jealous ... :wink:

Really looks great!

/Hans

Edited by Hanso