Sign in to follow this  
Dread Pirate Rob

[WIP] Shelf Layout: Tüblingen

I have started work on a new project 'for the kids':)

We do not have enough space for a loop of track but I do have an excellent long wall with no windows.

Tüblingen is an entirely fictional Swabian railway station near the Black Forrest in Germany. The subject was chosen because black steam engines with red frames were such an icon for so many years. The simple brief I am working to is: Create the trains I wanted when I was their age. It is all 6 wide power functions however it has a distinctly grey era feel to it, because, well, that's what I wanted so it must be what they want. I started with a 7828 train station because I still think it is the most fun station to play with, and added an island platform and foot bridge so that it can serve three lines. There is a 7838 freight shed but when I tried to mod it, it began to look more like Benny's luxury condo development than a piece of railway infrastructure. As such, the freight shed remains a work in progress.

Enough from me, to the photos...

Stock station with my power functions tribute to the famous 182.

17893067485_db42deb5c3.jpgP5199154 by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

The foot bridge in place. What was it with the 80s and no hand rails on stairs?

18987662610_39bd1d3193.jpg by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

With trains.

18552778144_c3c7ceb8d9.jpg by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

The next update should be the goods shed and crane, then the engine shed and locomotive depot. I hope you like it.

Rob

Edited by Dread Pirate Rob

That looks cool! Reminds me of the classic 9V! Also like the stairs! Just hoping that there are no drunk guys hanging ahout :laugh:

That looks cool! Reminds me of the classic 9V! Also like the stairs! Just hoping that there are no drunk guys hanging ahout :laugh:

Thanks THERIZE, can you tell I have a soft spot in my heart for the grey era?

I have completed the engine shed at the locomotive depot at the right hand end of the layout. I tried something a little different with this one and tried limiting my parts selection to just two sets; the Family House 31012 and the Mountain Hut 31025. I didn't end up using much of the hut except for the roof. Even then I ran out of slopes and I had to add some spare skylights to fill the gap. Once it was built though I discovered that the skylights are essential for the IR controller to stop a power functions locomotive from running into the back wall once it has gone inside! The cat got quite a shock.

The other parts that are not from either kit are the grey roof sections on the workshop. I just couldn't go past these for an industrial look.

If I had my time again I would have bought two Family Houses and made something long enough for the Emerald Night, but you can't buy two of every set...

I thought the cracked brickwork looked OK until I saw the roundhouse by UrbanErwin, would you mind if I borrowed your technique? It looks fantastic.

So, should I continue the experiment of using limited sets for a MOC, or does it look like a 31012 Family House with a train in the living room?

18727558944_5c0a687485.jpgSmall steam engine shed. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19162445700_d7a43e10c8.jpgSmall steam engine shed. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19350079935_07ac7c128d.jpgSmall steam engine shed. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19323985406_db7b8508c0.jpgSmall steam engine shed. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

More photos on Flickr

Loos Really good! I love the idea of a shelf layout since I don't have a lot of space at the moment maybe I can sneak a small shelf layout in so I can at least get some trains running!

Amazing Work!

-RailCo

Loos Really good! I love the idea of a shelf layout since I don't have a lot of space at the moment maybe I can sneak a small shelf layout in so I can at least get some trains running!

Amazing Work!

-RailCo

Thank you, just being able to do a little shunting is more fun than seeing them sitting still in the glass cabinet.

That's a really nice shelf layout you've got. I really like it. Brick on!

Lovely old school design! :wub:

Your kids must be proud of you!

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm with you 12Volts, you can't beat old school. (but I would still buy a smooth Mallard made with modern bricks if they produced one...) The thing the kids like most is that they can reach everything on a shelf layout, which they can't do on a bigger board.

I have now completed the freight handling facility. I did something different with this one and took parts and inspiration from as many cranes as I could. I think there are parts from five different railway cranes in there going back to the 80s. Bonus points if you can spot the oldest component.

19304568798_bea330c636.jpgFreight handling facility by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

The crane had to be sturdy enough to be operated by a four year old and has not broken yet.

18868589584_5b0e822208.jpgFreight handling facility by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

The truck is a MOD of the cargo truck in the 60052 blue cargo train set. Being the 80s tragic that I am I had to make it 4 wide...

19304968359_104547f08c.jpgFreight handling facility by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Could I ask what you guys think is still missing? A coaling tower to replace the coaling stage? Signals? Just please don't say ballast:)

This layout looks very interesting, something different from the classic loop and more close to a large scale model railway. May I ask for a trackplan or some photos showing the complete layout? Thanks.

The truck is a MOD of the cargo truck in the 60052 blue cargo train set. Being the 80s tragic that I am I had to make it 4 wide...

19304968359_104547f08c.jpgFreight handling facility by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Could I ask what you guys think is still missing? A coaling tower to replace the coaling stage? Signals? Just please don't say ballast:)

Love this 4-wide truck! The green bricks look really good on it.

I am doing an 80's set-inspired layout and I may have to pinch this design off of you!!!

Looks great, love the style, even though I am into modern. I wish I could be happy with a small layout, takes up a lot of room just to store all my rolling stock.

I believe there needs to be more greenery in your layout but that is what I think. I don't know what direction your going with your layout so it may be that you want the more industrial look. But I really like the idea and you have inspired my shelf layout and I have about half of the scenery complete but I need to order more baseplates which sadly are pretty expensive (when you add them all up).

Maybe I'll post a teaser on my Flickr in the next few weeks.

Great layout! Keep us updated

-RailCo

This layout looks very interesting, something different from the classic loop and more close to a large scale model railway. May I ask for a trackplan or some photos showing the complete layout? Thanks.

Sure, I started with the four sets of points in the middle and put them as close together as possible, then filled the available space with straights.

Here is a photo of the completed shelf layout:

19574817391_3e1c720772.jpgThe completed shelf layout. Tublingen. by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

It is 8 XL baseplates long.

Love this 4-wide truck! The green bricks look really good on it.

I am doing an 80's set-inspired layout and I may have to pinch this design off of you!!!

Please feel free, The more retro trucks out there the better. I was going to leave the green and white "CARGO" sign on the roof but it was just too big:)

Looks great, love the style, even though I am into modern. I wish I could be happy with a small layout, takes up a lot of room just to store all my rolling stock.

Thank you, yes, I generally do have to limit myself to 4 wheelers, however you can still do some interesting shunting with something the size of the Emerald Night.

Here is a short video of my modified EN leaving its train and returning to the shed. The modifications mostly resulted from making it narrower to run on 12V track but it has also made it look much more British.

19159937216_b43a8c7a91.jpgTublingen shelf layout by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

I believe there needs to be more greenery in your layout but that is what I think. I don't know what direction your going with your layout so it may be that you want the more industrial look. But I really like the idea and you have inspired my shelf layout and I have about half of the scenery complete but I need to order more baseplates which sadly are pretty expensive (when you add them all up).

Maybe I'll post a teaser on my Flickr in the next few weeks.

Great layout! Keep us updated

-RailCo

Yes, you are bang on, not enough greenery. I am still working on my green brick collection. They were rare as hen's teeth in the 80s and I have not been able to rectify the imbalance yet. Even an industrial look needs some weeds. I will add what I have over the next few days.

In breaking news I have just received Wife Approval for Tüblingen to be expanded onto an 8x4 foot baseboard for the school holidays! I have compressed the yard geometry further by replacing straights with pairs of flexible tracks and will post some updated photos over the next week before the whole thing must be pulled down again:(

Here is the new compressed yard from above:

19604756106_1343b25912.jpgTrack plan by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Thank you for your kind comments, please let me know if there is anything in particular you would like a photo of.

Well It really is coming along nicely and 8 baseplates long! WOW! mine can only fit 5 :cry_sad: . Anyway it is good that you can expand it to a baseboard to make it larger but bad that you have to take it down. I am wondering if you can keep it intact for the most part and stick it up in the attic, loft, or basement for later unless you need the pieces and buildings on the actual layout for other things.

I did notice a coal and water tower area is there a closer picture of those that I missed or if you have the chance could you snap a picture of that because that seems like something I would want to build

Great Job love seeing the updates!

-RailCo

I am wondering if you can keep it intact for the most part and stick it up in the attic, loft, or basement for later unless you need the pieces and buildings on the actual layout for other things.

I did notice a coal and water tower area is there a closer picture of those that I missed or if you have the chance could you snap a picture of that because that seems like something I would want to build

I regret Australian houses are sadly lacking in attics, lofts and basements :sad: . Aussie AFOLs generally survive on the good will of our wives and husbands, who let us take up living space.

I have posted some photos of the coaling stage and stand pipe on Flickr here:

19734891611_9b7b545367_m.jpgStand pipe and coaling stage by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

The build is going well but it only has another 4 days to live. I just wanted to share a cheap and easy way to do railway station signs.

19542065208_d4790e8b1f_z.jpgDymo label station signs by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

I used a Dymo label maker with clear plastic tape, then trimmed the sticker down fit on a 1 x 6 white brick.

19704340896_03c2464280.jpgDymo for station signs by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Unfortunately it only prints in black, but because it is clear it looks similar to actual stickers.

I really like this layout and I think it is inspiring. A builder can really add a lot of detail (as you have) on something small scale like this without it becoming overwhelming. And yes, I think it is a lot more fun to switch around than to just set a train to run at a constant speed. Depending on how ambitious you get, you could modify some switches to make a single crossover that only steps 16 studs away. You could also automate the switches so that you can control them remotely.

Yes, you are bang on, not enough greenery. I am still working on my green brick collection. They were rare as hen's teeth in the 80s and I have not been able to rectify the imbalance yet. Even an industrial look needs some weeds. I will add what I have over the next few days.

In breaking news I have just received Wife Approval for Tüblingen to be expanded onto an 8x4 foot baseboard for the school holidays! I have compressed the yard geometry further by replacing straights with pairs of flexible tracks and will post some updated photos over the next week before the whole thing must be pulled down again:(

At least in the states the flower stems occasionally show up on the PAB walls in the lego stores. Assuming you are far from any lego store, find a buddy who could pick a cup up for you and you'll have enough weeds to keep your track crew busy for years (I rarely walk into a lego store, so unfortunately I'm no help in this regard)

As for the brief move to the floor, if you ask me, I think you just need a spiral ramp at the end of the layout and then connect it to a floor level layout of way more track (grin).

I really like this layout and I think it is inspiring. A builder can really add a lot of detail (as you have) on something small scale like this without it becoming overwhelming. And yes, I think it is a lot more fun to switch around than to just set a train to run at a constant speed. Depending on how ambitious you get, you could modify some switches to make a single crossover that only steps 16 studs away. You could also automate the switches so that you can control them remotely.

At least in the states the flower stems occasionally show up on the PAB walls in the lego stores. Assuming you are far from any lego store, find a buddy who could pick a cup up for you and you'll have enough weeds to keep your track crew busy for years (I rarely walk into a lego store, so unfortunately I'm no help in this regard)

As for the brief move to the floor, if you ask me, I think you just need a spiral ramp at the end of the layout and then connect it to a floor level layout of way more track (grin).

Thank you Zephyr (I must ask you at some point about European prototype stickers...) Yes, as I was trying to squeese another set of points into this layout I spied my fret saw on the work bench and seriously considered some custom trackwork:) but my points lived to see another day. This time. I do not have enough space for remote power functions points so I think my next project will be with 12v track...

The rest of the world may find this hard to believe but we do not have a single Lego brand store in the entire country! Thank goodness for Bricklink.

For those of you keeping track of this project on Flickr, I have posted some photos of the structures for the expanded layout. I'll put a couple up here today and photos of the whole layout tomorrow. School holidays are almost over and I regret Tüblingen has but 24 hours to live before it is broken up into its constituent bricks.

19610069648_278af785d5.jpgTüblingen Pacific by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19798085285_58696e5a57.jpgTüblingen working Signal by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19610059610_9d75f88c4f.jpgTüblingen MOD Fuel Tank by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19771898376_13643e386b.jpgTüblingen Cargo by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

These are a sneak peek of the hills for the background that I am currently painting. The effect I'm after is in the 7777 ideas book.

I regret it is time for the demolition crew to move in. Tüblingen is no more.

19801722596_f48e9681b2_m.jpgDemolition time by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

While it stared as a humble shelf layout, this one grew to occupy a 4 foot by 8 foot table. We painted the hills as backdrops to mask two hidden sidings. This meant that you could be happily shunting at the freight yard and then have to clear the main line in a hurry for the express to come through. Building a fun shunting layout has made a nice change from the usual loop (even though it ended up with one) and gave us a good challenge.

Next holidays I am thinking we might do an end to end layout to service a mine perhaps.

Anyway, here are some of the final photos and there are more on Flickr. I took some video too so I'll have a go at putting it all together next weekend.

19801024996_47fa13b46f.jpgLast day of Tüblingen by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19827218075_b3ce577e45.jpgLast day of Tüblingen by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19827213405_2f79563d93.jpgLast day of Tüblingen by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

19639178390_ca03a231e3.jpgLast day of Tüblingen by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

It was fun to share this with you guys as a work in progress, Thanks,

Rob

Sad to see such a good looking layout go! Thank you for sharing your layout with us and I hope to see that layout next year!

-RailCo

Thanks for sharing. I use a Dymo printer too. I have a white on clear ribbon cartridge which works pretty good for having white letters/numbers on red bricks. :classic:

Thank you Zephyr (I must ask you at some point about European prototype stickers...) Yes, as I was trying to squeese another set of points into this layout I spied my fret saw on the work bench and seriously considered some custom trackwork:) but my points lived to see another day. This time. I do not have enough space for remote power functions points so I think my next project will be with 12v track...

Compared to 9v (even when available in stores) the PF switches are really cheap, you can pick up a pair on bricklink for $10. Buy extra for modification attempts and then you'll have no regrets if something goes wrong.

As for remote controlled switches, you might want to look into spear switches that folks came up with for 9v switches. You need a hole in the side of the rail, but that is just a small drill bit away. If you don't mind climbing a plate you can even do a modified spear switch without a hole. See "Fixing the double crossover" in RB 9. The neat thing with this configuration is that you could do an "all string" non-electric remote switching scheme like a real switchbox/tower if you are working with such a small layout. That would work well with your great working signal.

These are a sneak peek of the hills for the background that I am currently painting. The effect I'm after is in the 7777 ideas book.

Oh wow! That really has the feel of 7777 and 12v gray era sets. Excellent!

Sad to see such a good looking layout go! Thank you for sharing your layout with us and I hope to see that layout next year!

-RailCo

Thank you RailCo. I couldn't help myself, I have started tinkering with a grey era inspired yard control tower for next year already.

19961296545_544c172203_n.jpgEuropean freight yard control (switch) tower by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. I use a Dymo printer too. I have a white on clear ribbon cartridge which works pretty good for having white letters/numbers on red bricks. :classic:

How did I not know this existed? I see you have the 7710, could you please let me know if it is crisp enough to do the coach numbers on blue? I just bricklinked a third and fourth and they look very plain at present. Thank you greatly for the information.

Compared to 9v (even when available in stores) the PF switches are really cheap, you can pick up a pair on bricklink for $10. Buy extra for modification attempts and then you'll have no regrets if something goes wrong.

As for remote controlled switches, you might want to look into spear switches that folks came up with for 9v switches. You need a hole in the side of the rail, but that is just a small drill bit away. If you don't mind climbing a plate you can even do a modified spear switch without a hole. See "Fixing the double crossover" in RB 9. The neat thing with this configuration is that you could do an "all string" non-electric remote switching scheme like a real switchbox/tower if you are working with such a small layout. That would work well with your great working signal.

Oh wow! That really has the feel of 7777 and 12v gray era sets. Excellent!

Thank you, I had not read that article but now that I have, the next layout is forming in my mind. I'm thinking I'll have to scrap the modern control tower and do an old school signal box with lever frame. To do it properly I will need to devise interlocking gear too. Yes. This is doable.

The hills in the Ideas Book are remarkably easy, I cut them free hand with a jigsaw from 3mm MDF, spray painted them white, then lime green and then sprayed the tops Brunswick Green. Three cans of spray paint and four sheets of extremely cheap board later and I had the hills I wish I had 30 years ago! 7777 was where it all began and still continues to inspire.

Old school 12v, amazing what could be done with 99% Red, Grey and Black bricks back then!

Cheers Paul, I love the challenge of building Power Functions locomotives in 12v style (and it suits my resources)

Here is an overview for those interested in the track plan. The modified EN is just visible on one of the two hidden sidings that use up my spare flex track segments:)

19837416389_499641155f_z.jpgTüblingen by Canvas Rails, on Flickr

Great work Rob! You are really inspiring me to think outside of the box for my 12v inspired (but modded for PF) WIP layout.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next year!

Looks like you have made a nice little layout there with the limited space that you have. Nice to see some imagination going into it and also some good old fashioned engines alongside the newer ones. It will be good to see how this develops.