Professional instruction now available for sale :

You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com

/EDIT

Hi,

Here is my UCS Sith Infiltrator.

19870615670_783fe42dca_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by ANio, sur Flickr

19871938349_a1eb70b938_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

19870611430_3b2a5bb7d5_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

I designed this MOC thanks to one EB member : NNOPMOC.

He asked for a UCS version of the Sith Infiltrator 2 weeks ago : http://www.eurobrick...25#entry2239860

I can't say that I am a big fan of this ship or that I find it epic either. But well... I thought "Why not after all ?"

So I gave it a try. And all I can say is that I really enjoyed designing it. :)

After 4 days of work on the project, the model was more or less designed. I ordered the parts I need. When I get them, I spent another entire day to do adjustements, etc. Some new BL orders, and the model was complete.

The model is not very complexe regarding building techniques. Some SNOT here and there. The nose was a bit tricky.

The MOC is made out of 1194 elements and is 47 cm long. So it is not big, neither small. Wings can fold, with appropriate stops in both directions.

19437622463_e7ea495f97_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

19870517718_5f51b30f37_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

19871934999_4eabb7096d_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

20058604115_1c9c49b5a2_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

19437617693_8e617896f8_b.jpgUCS Sith Infiltrator by Anio, sur Flickr

Instructions coming some day. Don't know when exactly.

Anio

There's a level of simplicity present in this model that is just amazing. There is a perfect balance present of studs and tiles, and it gives the ship just a great aesthetic, and makes you want to keep looking at it. The balance of light and dark grey is perfect, and they make the patterns of the ship look perfect. The greebles as well are very subtle, but the look great and tie into the overall model perfectly. Likewise, the subtly uses of Snot have the same effect, and don't over complicate the model. I'm not even sure why, but this is one of my favorite models from you :laugh: Also, are you really that bored to the point of just building stuff for the heck of it? :laugh: Still, this is a great model, and it definitely blows the TLG version out of the water :grin:

Thanks. :)

There's a level of simplicity present in this model that is just amazing.

That is one of the key of a good looking model. I call it the "simplexity".

The ability to catch the spirit of the model, to deconstruct and reinterpret it, and to turn it into bricks in a way as simple as possible.

If you think that pure technique is fundamental to achieve good MOCs, then think again.

(edit : don't get me wrong, I didn't say that technical skills are useless /edit )

The balance

True. The balance of colors, textures, is very important. It is important to bring consistency to the model.

Also, are you really that bored to the point of just building stuff for the heck of it? :laugh:

Nah. The thing is that this project didn't last a long time. Oo

Still, this is a great model, and it definitely blows the TLG version out of the water :grin:

Not surprising when we consider part count : 75096 is only made out of 500-600 elements. ;)

AH HA!

Now that's what a SI should look like! Nicely done, Anio, you nailed all the structural elements that define this vehicle.

Getting the prow to look right is probably the more challenging aspects of building this vehicle, and it looks great: Good taper, slender, properly rounded off for a subtle domed shape on top, and what do ya know - a bottom half! Color choice and angled plate placement perfectly represents official images. You even remembered the grille at the very front. Nice!

On to the fuselage: There's still not an official LEGO set that got this right - that long center-spine sloped area that merges from the viewport down to the rear quarter of the prow - a prominent feature and simple enough to construct. Also, the 'hooded' feature just below the viewport that house the greeblie parts is another aspect that was never properly addressed, and you got it looking just right.

I like that you hinged the wings to get the curved look, but in my opinion the hinges might look better if they were more centered at each wing.

Thanks to LEGO, the roof dish looks very cool. And last but not least, the SNOT treatment on the engine thrusters is very well done. Great use of all the new sloped elements we have in our arsenal.

Awesome MOC!

...Video and instructions coming some day. Don't know when exactly.

Oh man, I'd build this in a heartbeat - instructions would be stellar.

Edited by lowlead

It's funny how simple does it sound from you, while you "by the way" created the best lego sith infiltrator ever :D (or at least best I have seen so far). Well done!

Thanks guys. ;)

It's funny how simple does it sound from you

This project was not that difficult indeed.

The most important thing here is to understand what is the ship in order to adopt the right approach and tackle the model correctly.

you have made a ship i had no interest in building and made me want to build it!

That's exactly what happened to me. haha

I didn't have much interest in the ship, but designing it was a lot of fun. And I am happy with the result. :)

Wow, good work. I didn't see this one coming ... ;)

I would try to get rid of some of the studs though to achieve a sleeker, less plate-y look. Nothing to be done about the studs on all the wing plates, of course, but otherwise there's some potential in the middle of the front.

And I think you got the color of the engine glow wrong, but no worries ... it happens to be the best of us ;)

Wow, good work.

Thanks. :)

I would try to get rid of some of the studs though to achieve a sleeker, less plate-y look. Nothing to be done about the studs on all the wing plates, of course, but otherwise there's some potential in the middle of the front.

I can not remove the studs from the plate 4x8. That would make a very empty surface in the middle of the wings plates. I didn't want that surface to be only covered with studs as well. That is why I added one 2x2 tile and a couple of 1x2 grille. It does not represent anything that can be observed on the real ship, but I think it is welcome as it adds some textures.

I also think it is important to have a tiled surface when there is a 1 plate thick step. It make things smoother (no "step effect"), which is something very important on the nose.

The nose if the first thing we see, and it gives the flow towards the back. So it is important to have it right.

All in all, I can do something like that :

339118P1040556.jpg

816560P1040557.jpg

I think it does look good. :)

Do you prefer this solution ?

And I think you got the color of the engine glow wrong

Well, not that wrong, actually.

The glow appears to be light green. So light, that it almost tends to be white in some very small areas.

Sith_Infiltrator_TPM.png

What choice do I have then ?

=> http://www.bricklink...Item.asp?P=3005

Trans-green, or Trans-light blue.

Trans-green appears to be quite dark. It is even darker when surrounded of dark gray parts.

So I chose Trans-light blue. It is certainely not ideal but it does look more glowing, and that is also an important thing to consider.

edit : I also added some grilles on the underside of the nose, so as to reproduce the hatches of the landing gear.

EDIT : I tried trans-neon green (parts from my 10143 :p ). It appears to be way too yellow ; visually, it doesn't work...

146225P1040558.jpg

607698P1040560.jpg

One of the stand-out ships of the films, great representation of it.

Maybe you could put a yellow brick behind blue transparent bricks to give them some greenish tint?

Maybe you could put a yellow brick behind blue transparent bricks to give them some greenish tint?

I can't. I need the (dark bluish gray) bracket to hold the engines together.

I will try to buy some trans-green bricks to see how it looks...

love this.. simply fabulous proportions and brick choices are spot on..

I big on snot build... have you considered going for a snot look too?

other than that.. to me ..this is the best MOC sith infiltrator so far I have ever seen =)

have you considered going for a snot look too?

Nope.

Too thick. It wouldn't work, both visually and technically speaking.

Amazing job Anio. Also nice to see how you respond to comments and try your very best to explain your thought-process, even trying other suggested solutions. A big thumbs!

As always, amazing work!! That's what I would have expected as an official UCS-Set.

If I only had the room to display all these beautiful creations... oh, and the dough to buy all those missing bricks to build them!

Thank you guys. ;)

I tried trans-green :

929801P1040890.jpg

427828P1040892.jpg

264364P1040893.jpg

Which one do you prefer / think is the most appropriate ?

Hi Anio, you've done an excellent job of re-creating this in LEGO, well done! :thumbup:

I agree that isn't one of the most 'interesting' ships in the SW Universe, but you've created the best version that I've seen of it so far. I particularly like the dark red slopes, and the exposed pipes/linkages which help to add interest to it. Oh, and personally I prefer the trans-light blue :classic:

...And

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

...And

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thank you for your very kind words. :blush: