Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Osric arrived in Petraea just before day break the next morning. Weary from the road, he found an inn to catch a few hours of sleep before visiting the University. Petraea was even worse than Barqa when it came to feeling overcrowded. There were people everywhere, and they seemed to all know exactly where they were going except for him. Eventually he was able to stop someone to ask for directions for the University. It was easy enough to find, as some of the buildings were among the tallest in the city.

Once he arrived at the University, however, things became difficult again. Just trying to get someone to stop for a minute to ask some questions seemed to be impossible. Most wouldn’t even stop to look at him. After trying for a good half hour, it seemed like the place finally settled down, and he saw a middle-aged man seated on a bench not far from him. Osric approached the man, and the man smiled at him. “You’re new here, aren’t you?” the man asked.

Slightly startled, Osric hesitated a moment before answering, “I am. Would you be able to tell me who I might speak with regarding a chain that was used to enchant the giant who wore it?”

The man chuckled briefly. “Right to business then. That sounds like Professor Binkett’s territory. He’s got his fingers in a lot of pies, and I think he’s more interested in other things, but he took over teaching the enchantments courses since the last professor left.” The man then explained to Osric how to find Professor Binkett’s office, and Osric thanked him before leaving to search once more.

Osric found the room and knocked on the door. Immediately after knocking he heard a cheery voice telling him to come in. Osric entered the door to see a wiry old man jump up from his desk to greet him. The man had a long white beard and an oversized turban around his head, leaving two tiny but friendly eyes in the middle.

“What can I do for you?” he asked Osric in an unexpected excitement.

“Are you Professor Binkett, professor of enchantments?” Osric returned.

“I am,” he said, and Osric sensed some of the excitement left his voice. “Are you a new student?”

“No,” Osric said. “I’m here to ask about this chain that was on a forest giant in Avalonia.” Osric produced the chain from his pack and handed it to the professor before continuing. “The rune here glowed bright orange, and the giant was in a frenzy. Despite being very gentle creatures, this particular attacked a caravan of goods, and later it also attacked my companions and me. We were unable to harm the creature until the rune on the chain was attacked and the rune destroyed.”

The old man took one look at the rune before looking up at Osric and said, “You’re lucky you were able to destroy the rune at all. Enchantments like these are usually indestructible unless the enchantment is removed using a incantation.” The man paused briefly before continuing. “I only know of one man capable of such an enchantment, but I can’t imagine him having any involvement in affairs in Avalonia.”

“Who is he?” Osric asked, finally feeling like he was getting somewhere in his investigation.

“He is my predecessor as professor of enchantments. His name is Gregor, and I can say with confidence that he is the greatest living enchanter alive today.”

“Then why isn’t he still teaching the course? And how can you be certain he wasn’t involved with anything in Avalonia?”

“We had to remove him from the faculty. Brilliant as he is, he is also…unstable. He was very friendly. That is, of course, until he wasn’t. He would have weeks of normal behavior, and then for reasons unbeknownst to me, he would change. We had to ask him to leave the University after we had reason to believe he was behind the disappearance of several students. Since then he’s resided in a keep in the Goolag Archipel region of Nocturnus. The reports we’ve received are that he hasn’t left the keep since.”

“Thank you for your help,” Osric answered. “Would you be able to show me where his keep is located on a map?”

“I can do better than that,” he answered. He walked to his desk and pulled something out of a drawer. “I made this when he became unpredictable. It works as a compass, but only points in his direction. Since he left, all it does is point Northeast, which is also how I know he hasn’t been in Avalonia. I don’t need it anymore, so you’re welcome to take it with you.”

“Thank you,” Osric said, as he looked the compass over before quickly putting it in his pack. “I’ll be on my way then.”

“One more thing before you do,” Binkett said with a concerned look. “One thing I noticed while Gregor was here is that when he is in his normal state, he uses his right hand. When he is in his altered state, he uses his left hand. You can also tell when he is going to change soon, as he starts handing objects back and forth in his hands. When you reach him, make sure he is using his right hand. If he is not, it would be best you leave immediately and seek him out later.”

“That sounds like very valuable information, and I thank you once again for it,” Osric said. With that, Osric left the man in his office and began making plans for reaching the Goolag Archipel.

19128199926_81298168ab_c.jpg

18966649530_180d7e916d_c.jpg

18966651110_c88cf5e45f_c.jpg

My last build in Kaliphlin for this story. While I defiintely enjoy the aesthetic that's been developed for Kaliphlin, it's difficult for me to build in. I'll most likely build in Kaliphlin once again at some point, but for now, and until I get more bricks in appropriate colors, I'm glad I'm done building there for a while! Comments and Criticism are most welcome!

Edited by MiloNelsiano

Excellent build MN, the color-scheme is great, especially the tan and dark green floor! :thumbup: Nice work with the furniture as well, the table looks superb with the crate/boxes! :wink: The dark flesh ( :wub:) and white wall is great, and I believe this is my favorite of your Kaliphlinian MoC's yet! :classic:

I love the clean lines, it makes the other details that make this moc great stand out much more, like the use of the dark flesh masonry bricks on the white wall, the simple yet awesome statues and pieces of furniture especially the chair and the minifgures as well. Great work!

Wow, very nice build :) The desk looks very good, and I really like the droid arm chair, although perhaps it's a bit out of proportion. Great work with the walls and floor as well!

Great work! I love the floor and how you made the desk. Moreover the story is nice, too :thumbup:

Very nice interior scene! I especially like that elaborate chair!

This interior and moc is something I will bring with me in future mocs. The colour scheme, the details and simplicity...just wow! :wub:

The color combination is superb and I like the architectural elements too. The masonry brick border is neat and the furniture is excellent. The level of detail is adequate without overrunning the scene and overall it's very tidy. Good work.

Beautiful build, the medium dark flesh and chequered floor are an excellent combo. A very colorful and well detailed build!

Great continuation of the story as well. Unfortunately I'm only now catching up on the entirety of Osric's tale but it is quite entertaining. I love the work you're putting into the story and these clever builds, keep it up!