Sign in to follow this  
MinifigureHQ

Revolutionary new Minifigure design

18956459388_6dabd6f05f_z.jpg

Revolutionary new Minifigure design

Minifigures.com has become world renowned for the quality and design of their custom figures, with clients that include; Pixar, Google and Microsoft. And with resellers in Hong Kong, Sidney and the US, the tiny team of big kid AFOLs, based in the Hertfordshire country side (UK), have big ambitions.

The team have created a new Minifigure concept unlike any other. Staying true to their aim of only producing figures that LEGO don’t, they have created an entirely new genre of figure design; Reversibles. The first of which; Collateral Carl, is due to Launch this Friday (26th of June).

When asked about the concept, Danny from Minifigures.com said:

“We wanted to inspire and surprise our customers and enhance the playability of our Minifigures. The reversible figures do this perfectly because you’re not just getting one figure any more, you’re getting multiple figures in one. So your imagination can run wild.”

19138299372_83137b5ee0_z.jpg

He continues:

“We don’t just display our figures, we play with them. Collateral Carl is a great example of how this big kid mind-set drives our creativity. We didn’t just want a soldier to make our shelf look awesome, we wanted one that would go to battle, fight epic wars and emerge beaten and broken or victorious, the choice was ours. That’s the beauty of the figure and the concept in general, is that the choice really is yours. The figure is no longer a one trick pony, let your imagination go wild. If you pop off an arm, it reveals a wound. Rotate the head and he’s bandaged up. He also comes with multiple accessories so that you act out what ever scenarios you have in mind. Its play at its best because you’re not confined to our ideas of what the figure can be used for, you can make up and act out your own ideas. “

19138308812_a0d62299cf_z.jpg19264561841_83db252571_z.jpg19073124338_439dd689c3_z.jpg

The range of Reversibles is still in its infancy, but it heralds a new wave of eye wateringly detailed figures from Minifigures.com, the likes of which have never been seen before. With full 360 designs spread across every single part of the figure, including the sides of the torso, legs and double sided head, Minifigures.com have proven they can make just about anything come to life.

The first in the line-up will be released later this week, so head over to Minifigures.com and register for their newsletter, subscribers get 10% off all new figures during launch, so it’s well worth the sign up.

Checkout their website: http://www.minifigures.com

Minifigures.com is an independently owned and run team of 6 AFOLs/Big kids, we have no connection to the LEGO group and despite using genuine LEGO parts; our figures are not LEGO figures. LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group of companies which does not sponsor, authorise, or endorse any of our products, services or the Minifigures.com website.

Edited by MinifigureHQ

It was more a play on words, as you have turn the parts around to reveal the second figure. We probably could have chosen something better but we make minifigures not press releases for our day job, so clearly we won't be quiting to become a PR company anytime soon :D

I like the idea... I'd actually look at using a Stahlhelm for him as he's a WWII figure rather than a SiDan M35 helmet. Although the M35 is meant to be a Stahlhelm the shaping is closer to a modern warfare helmet... I've made that mistake in the past when ordering them.

It was more a play on words, as you have turn the parts around to reveal the second figure. We probably could have chosen something better but we make minifigures not press releases for our day job, so clearly we won't be quiting to become a PR company anytime soon :D

ohhhhh. That's actually really funny.

ohhhhh. That's actually really funny.

Thanks, we tried ;)

I like the idea... I'd actually look at using a Stahlhelm for him as he's a WWII figure rather than a SiDan M35 helmet. Although the M35 is meant to be a Stahlhelm the shaping is closer to a modern warfare helmet... I've made that mistake in the past when ordering them.

We tried, they were out of stock at the time of production, so the Si-dan helm was the next best alternative it's also a bit of a better colour match to light blue-ish grey torso/legs.

TBH, I'm not a fan. You have to display from the front only, and everyone has to be facing the same way, otherwise you'll see the reversible back print. Also the arms are going to need to be popped on and off a lot to reverse the torso. I'd just prefer two minifigs / torsos to do the same thing but better for display and better for not cracking the torso.

TBH, I'm not a fan. You have to display from the front only, and everyone has to be facing the same way, otherwise you'll see the reversible back print. Also the arms are going to need to be popped on and off a lot to reverse the torso. I'd just prefer two minifigs / torsos to do the same thing but better for display and better for not cracking the torso.

Thanks for sharing your point of view, some people like to display our figures (you only see the front) others like to play with them. The concept actually benefits both, because you could alternate between displaying both sides every few months and if you intend to play with it then even better!

Imagine yourself displaying a scene somewhere like World War Brick - your minifigs could definitely be looked at from multiple angles, front and back... So, not really that useful, I'm afraid.

I like the idea. However, I agree with those who find it odd that the viewing angle is restricted.

A Solution would be capes. Or other accessories that cover the back area. Give the WW 2 guy a big backpack and then you can use both sides.

This concept is a mixed bag in my opinion as many AFOLs (including myself), dont want to restrict viewing angles. As already stated, an included backpack would have easily solved this problem (it is a must for me). Another thing is that the continuous removal of arms can possibly harm minifig's torso (at least, sadly, it does so at official minifigs). The quality and printing of every minifig they have produced is outstanding as usual though, so it all boils down to a matter of pure preference i think. A nice and radical way of thinking nevertheless

Edited by blackdeathgr

I like the idea. However, I agree with those who find it odd that the viewing angle is restricted.

A Solution would be capes. Or other accessories that cover the back area. Give the WW 2 guy a big backpack and then you can use both sides.

Genius - Dancer... pure Genius (as usual)

I think the idea is great - but seeing the shot from the back just doesn't work... but if Minifigs.com stick in a backpack then suddenly they have a winner!

The additional accessory is duly noted and a great idea. This could potentially push prices up though. What we may be able to look at is reduced optional extras in the future.

Sorry, but the prices of these minifigs are extremely high in my opinion.

When we started, we probably would have said the same thing and we appreciate that we don't fit everyones budget, nor do we try to with certain figures. Some figures simply take longer to make and therefore cost more. There's a lot of time and effort that goes into designing and printing the figures at such high quality and don't forget each element (part) is designed from scratch, we haven't cut any corners, all of our figures are designed from the ground (or legs ;) ) up, we don't use LEGO designed elements in our figures, such as faces, torso etc and then just add bits to it. When you actually break the cost down, it's not unrealistic and you quickly realise why we have to charge more for certain figures. I'm sure if you timed yourself when making and designing a full 360 figure, you'd be into a couple of hours if not more, then you've got to account for the cost of everything thats involved in it. Even down to things such as the actual PC you designed it on, as it all has to be paid for and maintained. Then you've got taxes and various other costs. Then the general costs and time of just running a business, It's an expensive process.

We started off selling the odd figure on eBay, mostly it was just a custom torso and then we'd reuse a head, or legs etc. to make the figure as a way to make money from our passion and hobby (we're AFOLs as well!). Costs back then were tiny, it would be the odd Paypal transaction fee and postage charge as we didn't have our own website and it was all being run from a back bedroom. Once you scale up, you quickly realise why there are so few producing great quality custom figures around the world, let alone the UK. We're lucky because the UK seems to be at the forefront of the custom market, even so there are only a handful of us that have been fortunate enough to turn our love for LEGO and the minifigure in to our lively hoods.

The old saying "You get what you pay for" rings true. If you want cheap figures, eBay is awash with knock off Chinese replicas and decal based figures (some actually selling in excess of £30).