MrOutlaw

Ship "Admiral's Eagle"

Hello mates! I am fan of Lego Pirates for a long time, but I've decided recently to register here, because I've created MOC which I would like to share with you. :pir-blush:

It's a bluecoat soldiers' ship, I called it "Admiral's Eagle". I hope you like it, I have also published project on Lego Ideas (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/106525) and so far it is going well.

From the most important thing, ship contains 877 parts (without 5 minifigures and their weapons), captain's cabin accessible from the side walls and from the top, prison cell with small entrance (also accessible from the top), 2 shooting cannons and 3 mini shooting guns, winch with anchor.

Here are pictures (more images &download link - https://photos.googl...nZVQTdjVVJhMEZn):

1.jpg

pirates-indexed.gif Brig 21A

yVwSXBx.jpg

ppqLOaz.jpg

srHDYMh.jpg

xnpLusO.jpg

UiEUphf.jpg

MhqGoDq.jpg

I love your figurehead. Servator is right, it looks very cool. I hope your Lego Ideas project is successful. I would buy that set.pirate_classic.gif

This could easily be an official set. I see a few cues from the Brick Bounty but it's still a unique design. The dark brown upper bow/stern elements look nice over the reddish brown lower hull. The white, dark blue and gold accents are nice and the figurehead is interesting. The cabin decor looks good and accessability is great. I do think the sides could be built up a little more than just arched gunports, however.

The overall presentation is good but for one thing: the top flags are flying the wrong way for them to be sailing. They should be pointed how the wind is blowing - usually forward and at an angle.

Good luck with Ideas. This is far more reasonable than most projects - but it might be too late. I don't see this theme lasting long and if Lego has an Imperial vessel planned then it's unlikely they'll do this regardless of support.

Good work and keep on building Pirates!

The overall presentation is good but for one thing: the top flags are flying the wrong way for them to be sailing. They should be pointed how the wind is blowing - usually forward and at an angle.

Good luck with Ideas. This is far more reasonable than most projects - but it might be too late. I don't see this theme lasting long and if Lego has an Imperial vessel planned then it's unlikely they'll do this regardless of support.

Good work and keep on building Pirates!

Good point with the top flags - I haven't even thought about right direction before.

You are also probably right about chances, even after gathering hypothetical 10 000 votes I think it's unlikely that TLG would release any pirate sets until 2017 (next wave POTC sets) - but it is worth to trypirate_blush.gif

Very nice! However, contraily to common opinion, Chima elements are useful. ;)

I was suprised too, when I found what more about this part! pir_laugh2.gif

Edited by MrOutlaw

This is excellent! Has that lego feeling and a great color scheme to boot. If TLG doesnt release a bluecoat ship, I will probably use this as inspiration to build my own.

Nicely done. As most of us, I see that you too prefer old red epaulets over the white ones of today for bluecoats :P

Edited by blackdeathgr

I absolutely LOVE the figurehead! Easily the best part of the ship. I've been wanting to come up with better figureheads for two of my ships, and that gave me some great inspiration!

I also like the waviness of the hull tops in the middle, but I agree that they should be higher up, or the gun crews are going to be soaked at all times, and so will your powder! I would add a layer of bricks, or perhaps two layers of plate, but keep the waves at the very top. It's an original concept that I think looks terrific. You might try adding two chequered layers in there, similar to Maeve Auselbruck. (which I copied in the blue and white chequer pattern on my Thunderchild, if I may be allowed to shamelessly plug my own ship)

Additionally, I would move the large flag so that it's flying at the very aft end of the deck, behind the ship's wheel. That'll allow you to display it flying in the same direction as you're sailing, and allow easy access should your crew decide to fly a false flag to sneak up on those foolish redcoats!

Nicely done. As most of us, I see that you too prefer old red epaulets over the white ones of today for bluecoats :P

Definitely, it simply looks betterpirate_classic.gif

I absolutely LOVE the figurehead! Easily the best part of the ship. I've been wanting to come up with better figureheads for two of my ships, and that gave me some great inspiration!

I am really glad to hear that!

I also like the waviness of the hull tops in the middle, but I agree that they should be higher up, or the gun crews are going to be soaked at all times, and so will your powder! I would add a layer of bricks, or perhaps two layers of plate, but keep the waves at the very top. It's an original concept that I think looks terrific. You might try adding two chequered layers in there, similar to Maeve Auselbruck. (which I copied in the blue and white chequer pattern on my Thunderchild, if I may be allowed to shamelessly plug my own ship)

Yes, there could have been an additional layer (especially if we consider comfort of cannons crew), but it even hasn't crossed my mind because I was trying to keep low the parts count. But if I would let my imagination to run wild, ship would be longer, there would be a third shooting cannon, third mast and morepir_laugh2.gif

Edited by MrOutlaw

I'm lovin' this bluecoat vessel. It looks to me like a bit of a mix between The Brick Bounty and Brickbeards Bounty only in bluecoat colors. Great work!

Well done, you've managed to keep the model playable, low parts count, basic techniques, AND make it look nice, something even Lego doesn't achieve 100% of the time, would make a great set, in fact it had me fooled when all I saw was the image

I gave you an upvote on Lego ideas.

However, I'd like to hit you up with a suggestion, if I might: take this concept, tear it down, and rebuild something with an identical theme, but as a wholly different ship type/class. This project has an unbelievably high level of detail and overall 'polished' feel... but, at the same time, I can't help but note that it is a virtual clone of the last two pirate ships Lego has issued. I think, going forward, with any allied ship, they're going to want to do something to differentiate it with previous products... and my guess is that's going to come in the traditional form of a more compact, 'underdog' bluecoat flagship, on the order of a classic like the Caribbean Clipper. While I think the Admiral's Eagle is superb, I'd love to see your take on one of these mid-sized ships, not only because it would be awesome to see, but also because -- frankly -- I think it would stand a better chance of a 'yes' nod from Lego at the end of the day.

Well done, you've managed to keep the model playable, low parts count, basic techniques, AND make it look nice, something even Lego doesn't achieve 100% of the time, would make a great set, in fact it had me fooled when all I saw was the image

Nice ship, mate!

Looks like an official set :)

And great colour choose :)

Thank you for the kind words, matespirate_satisfied.gif

(...) I think, going forward, with any allied ship, they're going to want to do something to differentiate it with previous products... and my guess is that's going to come in the traditional form of a more compact, 'underdog' bluecoat flagship, on the order of a classic like the Caribbean Clipper. While I think the Admiral's Eagle is superb, I'd love to see your take on one of these mid-sized ships, not only because it would be awesome to see, but also because -- frankly -- I think it would stand a better chance of a 'yes' nod from Lego at the end of the day.

A few people also had the same feeling (about the fact that ship is a little similar to the new pirate ships). As for building a mid-size ship it's a really good idea and maybe I will try to build one, when I find some time and money for new parts.pirate_classic.gif As for Lego Ideas, unfortunately I think now that neither "Admiral's Eagle" nor smaller ship has a chance to succeed.

Thank you for the kind words, matespirate_satisfied.gif

A few people also had the same feeling (about the fact that ship is a little similar to the new pirate ships). As for building a mid-size ship it's a really good idea and maybe I will try to build one, when I find some time and money for new parts.pirate_classic.gif As for Lego Ideas, unfortunately I think now that neither "Admiral's Eagle" nor smaller ship has a chance to succeed.

I think if you did this as a smaller ship... or something similar (say, a wolf theme [my personal favorite], or a dolphin theme -- anything, really; redo the eagle for all I care), and maintained the same level of quality, it would have a very strong chance. Voters care about three general things: playability (IE, the more things the ship can do [does a hatch open? Does a mast fall over? Can you work a ship's crane? Is there a hidden compartment over here?]), nostalgia, and accessibility (in this case meaning, how complicated does something look? Is it within a normal builder's capabilities?).

Lego, on the other hand, cares about two other, prevailing factors: how saleable an item is (can we sell this for a reasonable amount? What is the ratio of pieces to item size?), and how marketable it is (do we have to pay for licensing on this product (in this case, obviously no); does it fill a niche in our product line (smaller ship? check. Allied ship? check).

If I were you, and if I did decide to rebuild as a smaller ship, I'd go back and look at some of the older pirate and allied vessels and draw inspiration. For example, you might note that the Blackseas Barracuda had what essentially amounted to an upper deck, built out of grey pieces, that ran around the main hold. That was an awesome play feature, because it turned the lower portion of the hull into a semi-realistic gun deck. To my knowledge, no Lego ship since then has attempted to incorporate a fairly simple feature like that. You might also note the design characteristics of the old allied ships -- they tended towards smaller cabins, single forward main masts, lower gun count. All of this helps to differentiate what you're building from the current product line, but establishes familiar connections to past boats that help forge connections both between your vessel and the public, and your vessel and Lego.

Again, I'm not in any way, shape, or form trying to bag on what you've done here -- I think it's, frankly, fantastic. I just think you're tiptoeing around the edge of something that a TON of people want right now: a bluecoat flagship that Lego stands a chance of producing.

I like your ship because it is very detailed and impressive. The bluecoats of 2015 official set don't have a soldiers ship. So, I think, yours will fit well. If you used LDD, please let me know where you found bluecoats upper parts. Keep on building.

I think if you did this as a smaller ship... or something similar (say, a wolf theme [my personal favorite], or a dolphin theme -- anything, really; redo the eagle for all I care), and maintained the same level of quality, it would have a very strong chance. Voters care about three general things: playability (IE, the more things the ship can do [does a hatch open? Does a mast fall over? Can you work a ship's crane? Is there a hidden compartment over here?]), nostalgia, and accessibility (in this case meaning, how complicated does something look? Is it within a normal builder's capabilities?).

(...)

Again, I'm not in any way, shape, or form trying to bag on what you've done here -- I think it's, frankly, fantastic. I just think you're tiptoeing around the edge of something that a TON of people want right now: a bluecoat flagship that Lego stands a chance of producing.

I agree that it's at least worth to try to build also smaller ship (and if I do, I will definitely show it here) but I'm not convinced about chances on Lego Ideas. When I published Admiral's Eagle, after 3 days it has been already 150 supporters, but then it slowed down - maybe majority of people who are interested in Lego Pirates or ships voted and there won't be no major growth any more. I am not sure what is the real key, apart from things you mentioned (e.g. playability which I also tried to bring into the ship) - maybe the originality of idea (there was a couple of ships in the recent years, so it's not in favour of my project), or basing on popular movie (like Jurassic Park) or appearing on LI frontpage pir_laugh2.gif

If you used LDD, please let me know where you found bluecoats upper parts. Keep on building.

Unfortunately there is no such part in LDD from what I know (if you are referring to torso part).

Edited by MrOutlaw

plenty of detail, cool looking figurehead also. It would be nice if Lego came out with a Bluecoats ship, I can only hope... Only thing I would do differently on this ship is add a deck above the cannons.

The pictures taken from different angles help see all the details and that's good. This time I noticed and wondered how your sailors could see the distand land or coming enemies if there are no crow's nests. The shrouds aren't high enough. Try to improve that. Otherwise everything is well done.