Zodack

[MOC] Hall of Armor display / vignette

Hello everyone at Eurobricks! I just recently got back into LEGO thanks to the Marvel Superheros sets (although I have been fiddling with LDD since a few years ago) and after deciding to collect Iron Man minifigs I realized I would need something to display them in.

There are a few excellent minifig display MOCs that can be found on the web, but I wanted something a) I had made myself and b) would look indicative of the Iron Man setting while sitting on my desk.

So, without further ado, here is my "small" Hall of Armor display / vignette, made in LDD and rendered in POVRay. I realize a Hall of Armor MOC is essentially an "everyone has done it" MOC, but I'm proud of how it turned it. This is the first MOC I have ever designed, so I'm taking a while convincing myself that it is finished before I decide to buy the pieces.

18909668129_fe4d4b1a30_b.jpg

The Hall of Armor "pods" are designed to hold any currently produced Iron Man figure, including War Machine and Iron Patriot with their turrets attached. Additionally, the upcoming Silver Centurion figure will be able to fit as well. Here's approximately what it would look like with the suits inside. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the minute details such as which suit has red or gold hands, for example, because I can't recreate them perfectly in LDD anyways.

18916772369_2b3c82fb84_b.jpg

You can see these photos in 1080p in my Flickr album. Let me know what you think! Criticism is very welcome, as I am determined not to order the pieces to make this set until I am confident that it is display-worthy.

Edited by Zodack

That looks really cool. I suggest you make the armor alcoves modular if you haven't, though, because I suspect they'll be coming out with IM suits for as long as the Marvel license lasts, and I think, based on how wide it is right now, that you'll probably want to keep adding alcoves to that layout so you'll be able to fit them all as they come out. I also suggest that you arrange them in mark order instead of release order, but I suppose you can do either way.

That looks really cool. I suggest you make the armor alcoves modular if you haven't, though, because I suspect they'll be coming out with IM suits for as long as the Marvel license lasts, and I think, based on how wide it is right now, that you'll probably want to keep adding alcoves to that layout so you'll be able to fit them all as they come out. I also suggest that you arrange them in mark order instead of release order, but I suppose you can do either way.

They actually are modular, and it is very easy to add more. It was my first order of business when designing the MOC because we all know Iron Man is going to get more figs.

I haven't decided what order to put them in. The Mark order is so erratic (lots of missing suits) that I'm unsure if I want to pursue that route - and I absolutely do not want to try my hand at custom figs, or order bootleg figs. Release order makes more sense to me. But of course, it's doesn't really matter in the long run. As a vignette in mark order it would be incomplete because of the large disparity of early suits, and as a display in release order it would look... well, not like a vignette of the scene. The image I posted with the suits is just what it would look like with them in position to give an idea of what the MOC would look like while occupied, and to make sure all of the current figs can fit (WM / IP's turret, SC's Chima breastplate).

They actually are modular, and it is very easy to add more. It was my first order of business when designing the MOC because we all know Iron Man is going to get more figs.

I haven't decided what order to put them in. The Mark order is so erratic (lots of missing suits) that I'm unsure if I want to pursue that route - and I absolutely do not want to try my hand at custom figs, or order bootleg figs. Release order makes more sense to me. But of course, it's doesn't really matter in the long run. As a vignette in mark order it would be incomplete because of the large disparity of early suits, and as a display in release order it would look... well, not like a vignette of the scene. The image I posted with the suits is just what it would look like with them in position to give an idea of what the MOC would look like while occupied, and to make sure all of the current figs can fit (WM / IP's turret, SC's Chima breastplate).

I wasn't suggesting you get bootlegs to fill in the mark order gaps, those are just something that people who arrange them in mark order, as I do, have to deal with. I'm glad to hear that you already thought to make the alcoves modular. For myself, I have to figure out how to fit all the IM suits into the Iron Man's Lab build (which is what I use to display mine) once SC comes out (I took out WM and IP once 43 and 45 came out, because they don't have numbers to them, so they're difficult to order with the rest).

I wasn't suggesting you get bootlegs to fill in the mark order gaps, those are just something that people who arrange them in mark order, as I do, have to deal with.

It's a bit depressing that we get a suitcase but no suit, and no throwbacks to the earlier marks. Iron Patriot and Silver Centurion both are great exclusives but for all collector's sakes the early models would also be great.

Thanks for your input. I really want it to last so I've been tweaking the build in LDD for quite a while before I order the parts.

Great design...only suggestion would be to add another robotic arm on a moveable base and a table top to work off of like an actual workshop.

Great design...only suggestion would be to add another robotic arm on a moveable base and a table top to work off of like an actual workshop.

I can definitely make space for those to flesh out the scene. Definitely a table. I'm probably going to look at the sticker sheet from Malibu Mansion attack for the trans light blue panels near the crane, as well as any extra "screens" I would add to tables.

Very cool! Gives me some ideas... Mind PM'ing me the .lxf file?

Sure thing! :classic:

I disagree cause it's a display and not a scene. I think what is there is enough to get the point across without taking away from the figures.

:thumbup:

I think I'll more than likely build it as-is or with a few little extras, and if I like it enough I can always add on it make it a scene. There are several incredible Iron Man MOCs already on EB that really inspire me to roll up my sleeves and see what I can do to turn the display into a proper scene.

...it's a display and not a scene. I think what is there is enough to get the point across without taking away from the figures.

:thumbup:

+1

It looks terrific as a display as it is. No need to mess with a winning design.

Couldn't hurt to include Dumm-E somewhere right? (that little robot guy on treads from the movie...Still one of my favorite "figs" from the Iron Man series)

Edit: Holy wow, didn't realize this was such a blast from the past. Well, still cool job from seven months in the future.

Edited by InnerRayg