A Freebuild for the Guilds of Historica, and the next Episode in the story of Adira Navabi. Check here:

http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=110813 and the ones before it for backstory.

19069713296_1b6270e1ff_b.jpg

The wind whispered through the trees, swaying their branches in accordance with it's patterns, and carrying the scent of their blossoms to every bee within it's range. Adira smelled deeply, and smiled. The apple tree swaying above her seemed to send all it's best smells to her nose, as if it too were wishing her safety in the coming battle.

The thought of the battle intruded upon Adira's bliss like a black mist, seeping into every part of her mind and demanding all of her attention. The Desert King forces had been sighted at the mouth of the valley a few days ago, and would be here any day now. All of the able bodied men would be arming up in the town, including whoever owned this orchard.

A sudden loathing for what she was about to do overtook Adira as she stared across the orchard, full with the blossoms of spring. Who am I to bring down the hand the Desert King upon these people, these people who live day by day and whose only worries are I the rain will come late our not?

18909790349_a5f72d94f8_c.jpg

“Lady Adira, the men await you in Estolad.”

It was Havers. Adira knew without even turning. She could distinguish his unique mix of the Western and eastern dialects anywhere. She spoke without turning. “I can't do it, captain Havers.”

There was a pause, then Havers spoke, his words slow a measured. “I can not speak for all the inhabitants of Estolad, but I believe I speak for the majority when I say that when we voted you as our head, that we would take whatever came for it, whether that be peace or war, life or death. If these people can have such courage as to trust you with their lives, you can at least lead them to the best of your abilities.”

18909814099_cf7149f08c_c.jpg

Adira turned on Havers, her showing a strange mixture of anger and sadness. “But how can I do so in good conscience? If I do, at least some of them will die. And even if we are victorious, and drive the Desert King forces back out of our valley, what can I promise them but a guarded peace, always in fear of another invasion? I would destroy their peace of mind forever.”

18908305458_b42e0d4f75_c.jpg

Havers let out his breath slowly, staring past Adira in deep thought. Finally he focused on her again. “We can not have everything we wish for in one life, or in any number of lives, so we must choose the lesser of two Weavils*. In this case it is our decision whether we wish for security of our lives, though we be slaves to the whim of an Un-dead Tyrant, or Freedom to choose as we wish, to worship as we wish, though we be forever in fear for our lives. These people have chosen Freedom over security, and they have chosen you to lead them. You can only do as much as you are able, and they wish for no more from you.”

Havers turned and started down the road back toward the town of Estolad, his motion halted yet smooth on his peg leg. “The men await.”

Adira paused, taking one last look over the orchard behind her, then followed Havers down the road toward Estolad, battle, and a future that would define the history of Kaliphlin forever.

To be continued...

18882473519_7e9355761d_b.jpg

The build. Just a quick one to continue my story. I gave a try at using the tree-leaves from altBricks, a Lego off-brand store, and I'm not sure what to think. Thoughts?

*Ten comments to the person who can tell me where this quote is from.

Soli Deo Gloria & Sola Gracia!

Edited by Adair

That's a lovely little build. The tree is nice and you've certainly mastered that type of base. The patches of green look good - lichens, perhaps? As for the quote, I'm assuming you're speaking of the "lesser of two weevils" part specifically. It was used in "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" as in "we always choose the lesser..." and has appeared in a number of jokes about two weevils and what they grew up to become, with the lowlier of the two being "the lesser..." If you're talking about the first part of the quote, well, I don't know. Good work as usual... and good idea to make a riddle from a quote. I've thought about doing so myself.

The build is exactly what I have come to expect from you, which is beautiful intricacy. The story, though, is what had me. The struggle with the weight of responsibility is something rarely expressed in this kind of fiction, but for the situation is quite appropriate.

Absolutely gorgeous build, Adair! Such lovely textures and those AltBricks are just fantastic. :thumbup:

Thank you! I was worried that the leaves would be just a little too different coloring than the sand green landscape, but I'm glad it turned out well!

Beautiful. Everything flows together perfectly and the color choices are excellent as well :thumbup:

Thank you!

That's a lovely little build. The tree is nice and you've certainly mastered that type of base. The patches of green look good - lichens, perhaps? As for the quote, I'm assuming you're speaking of the "lesser of two weevils" part specifically. It was used in "Master and Commander: Far Side of the World" as in "we always choose the lesser..." and has appeared in a number of jokes about two weevils and what they grew up to become, with the lowlier of the two being "the lesser..." If you're talking about the first part of the quote, well, I don't know. Good work as usual... and good idea to make a riddle from a quote. I've thought about doing so myself.

Spot on! Yeah, wrong spelling... I'll get you the comments tomorrow! :wink:

Nice build :) love the base design

Thank you! I've grown quite fond of it too.

The build is exactly what I have come to expect from you, which is beautiful intricacy. The story, though, is what had me. The struggle with the weight of responsibility is something rarely expressed in this kind of fiction, but for the situation is quite appropriate.

Thank you! Hopefully it will get only better. :classic: If possible, I might want to do a crossover with you, as far as Estolad's 'non-combatants' taking refuge in the Nestlands. Thanks for the comment!

That is some nice landscaping, and the touches of purple on the tree works well here.

A very nice build Adair, I really like that tree and the overall shape is excellent! You are really getting good at this sort of thing! :thumbup:

I really do like the base, as others have said, you really have mastered it. I'd like to take a stab at it one of these days, but I know it won't look as nice as this one!

Very nice build Adair, great job on the tree and the rounded base :thumbup: Personally I would prefer the brighter color of the official LEGO leaves to the altbricks here as the color clashes a little with rest of the landscape to me, particularly the sand-green parts... I'm sure that my being a purist has nothing to do with my opinion though! :tongue:

Great build, love the base and colour choices! But an even greater story!

Thank you! I shall attempt to continue improving. :classic:

That is some nice landscaping, and the touches of purple on the tree works well here.

Thanks! I'm glad the lavender worked out this time!

Nice continuation :) Another build with excellent landscaping! Great job :classic:

Thanks, Full Plate!

A very nice build Adair, I really like that tree and the overall shape is excellent! You are really getting good at this sort of thing! :thumbup:

Thank's Kai! Glad you like it!

I really do like the base, as others have said, you really have mastered it. I'd like to take a stab at it one of these days, but I know it won't look as nice as this one!

Thank you! And, believe me, my first try was terrible. :tongue:

Very nice build Adair, great job on the tree and the rounded base :thumbup: Personally I would prefer the brighter color of the official LEGO leaves to the altbricks here as the color clashes a little with rest of the landscape to me, particularly the sand-green parts... I'm sure that my being a purist has nothing to do with my opinion though! :tongue:

Thanks! Yes, I have been told as much on Flickr, and I'm still looking for something suitable to go with sand green... hopefully my next attempt will be more successful. :wink:

Wow that looks amazing! The way you made the base is fantastic and the tree looks great, too :wub:

Wow that looks amazing! The way you made the base is fantastic and the tree looks great, too :wub:

Thank you, Balbo!

I like the tree trunk. I've been looking at different ways to go about it instead of simply brick building it. I would assume this has some SNOT work underneath?

As far as the build. Definitely decent. The coloring is an interesting choice. I do like the story though. Very well written.

And I haven't heard of lesser of two weevils, only two evils. Maybe I always heard it wrong?

I like the tree trunk. I've been looking at different ways to go about it instead of simply brick building it. I would assume this has some SNOT work underneath?

As far as the build. Definitely decent. The coloring is an interesting choice. I do like the story though. Very well written.

And I haven't heard of lesser of two weevils, only two evils. Maybe I always heard it wrong?

Thank you! Yes, it's SNOT in the middle, classic studs-up on top and bottom.

No, you heard right, I was just quoting a movie that played off of that phrase. ;)

Absolutely stunning rock work here!!! Great work!!

Thank you! Glad my rock-work experiment turned out well!

Excellent rockwork and I'm loving that tree :classic:

Thanks! Glad you like the tree!

Brilliant rockwork and path texture :wub_drool: Good looking tree too :thumbup:

Thanks! The path was sort of an experiment, so I'm glad you like it!