Sign in to follow this  
nerdsforprez

Which are you?

I cannot officially create a poll b/c I have less than 500 posts, but if an admin feel so inclined this one might be a fun one. I saw this comic the other day and thought that I would just share. 14350713071_DISPLAY.jpg

lol.... I liked this. We as LEGO fans are likely all very passionate about our hobby. But, not sure that categorizes us ALL as geeks. I am not sure what I am, but as with all scales like this, there is some error. I'm gonna go ahead with nerd (my username, after all... is nerds.. for... prez (president). Although involved in academia in the past (practicing doctor now), I think that ship has sailed, so not really sure if geek applies as much as my passion for my hobbies. I have to admit, I was not aware of the distinction between a nerd, geek and dork until now, and other than IMO it being funny, don't really care about the distinction, so..... I don't think dork really applies either (my wife would disagree. She would think that I am all three). Therefore.... I surmise (see that academic term there... :laugh: ) that I am a nerd. I think nerds rock....... and if one were to run for president of the world I would vote for him/her. One that is passionate for his/her hobbies has to have a passion for life... right?

Which are you? Nerd? Geek? Dork? All of the above? Again.... if someone wants to make this into a poll I think it might be fun.

To me, a nerd is someone with technical expertise usually in a scientific or engineering subject, e.g. a computer nerd.

A geek is someone with a passion for a non-mainstream, usually avocational, activity that doesn't require physical effort such as LEGO.

The two aren't mutually exclusive: you can be a nerd and a geek, e.g. someone who builds computers for fun.

Often, the label is applied by those who don't share the nerd's/geek's interest and is actually a classification of the person on the basis of their appearance, e.g. IT nerds having thick-rimmed glasses with a broken but repaired bridge.

Dork is simply a catch-all derogatory term for any nerd or geek, again, often based on appearance.

In the same family of terms is otaku. In the west, this is broadly equivalent to geek but often with a particular interest in manga or anime. In Japan where the term originates, it also equates with the western geek concept but for some otaku, it includes a sexual dimension as well.

There are no doubt dictionary and anthropological definitions. I'm not pretending mine are in any way definitive.

For the record, I consider myself a geek and I suspect other people who know me would agree.

Edited by AmperZand

Does anyone want to draw out a Venn diagram?

I overheard this topic discussed before. It was in a game development office. That Venn diagram probably covered most of the staff.

There's a sliding scale of nerd/ geek.

Venn diagraming nerds vs. dork, versus geeks? lol.... I think the suggestion makes you a dork. According to the comic that is..... :wink:

I'm definitely a geek, because none of my knowledge is even vaguely useful except for answering other geeks' questions.

it includes a sexual dimension as well.6h.jpg

It does?

I'm definitely a geek, because none of my knowledge is even vaguely useful except for answering other geeks' questions.

It does?

It encompasses manga and figurines depicting teenage girls provocatively dressed and with exaggerated secondary sexual characteristics. There are entire stores in Japan dedicated to this sub-genre. Probably because of this area of interest and because otaku are stereotyped as loner teenage-to-middle age men, otaku has a sexual deviance connotation in Japanese society.

Well, if t helps, I'm too cool for labels, so stick it nerds/geeks/dorks. ;)

Where do dweebs fit into this classification system?

Similar to dork in that they're both North American terms of derision, but dweeb emphasises academic studiousness.