Sign in to follow this  
Niloc

[Challenge 1] Eden Trees [K - C09]

----------

Prologue: Eden Trees

Before the Kawashita Group arrived in the remote system of Andromeda, the planet Orinshi had already been inhabited by civilizations older than time. As much as humans would do, these civilizations worshiped Orinshi’s miracle: the Eden tree…

----------

“Trees are the veins of our soul, guardians of life.”

- San Tze Tzui the 9th (AD 3554 – 3710)

PeEUQqA.jpg

Orinshi, which will later be renowned as the “pearl of jade”, holds the most extraordinary wildlife one could imagine. In the endless verdant plains and luxuriant rainforests, one could dedicate his life to study a fauna and flora of such unimaginable complexity, he could never reach the bottom…

Amongst the miracles Orinshi shelters, one literary and figuratively stands above all: the EDEN TREE. Taller than any tree recorded in Earth’s history, this herculean tree can reach an astounding height of 200 meters and spreads its roots on a 10 km radius. In the first years of its life, the Eden tree’s growth spurt alone is strong enough to pull apart and lift the surrounding ground: it’s not uncommon to find rocks and minerals mixed with the dark-tinted bark.

Nest to a vast number of flying and climbing species, the unique Eden tree is for many reasons a cornerstone of its ecosystem and a majestic monument of the Orinshi jungles.

----------

A hoard of Datrinubes getting closer to the mighty river. These gigantic beasts can measure up to 10 meters long! They usually travel in pack of 2 or 3, a male, a female and their offspring. They are a common species of Orinshi and are often found around Eden trees, as they mostly feed of their roots:

D4rl7TR.jpg

Sleeping underground, an ancient and mysterious vessel carved by the ages...:

Ijb8rhr.jpg

----------

Not a main picture worthy of these herculean trees... Though they were still nice to make! I tried a strange new technique (to me, anyway) to make these trees and think it ended up pretty well. It does show gaps, but in my opinion, it mimics nicely the "curvature" that can be found in some trees. The foliage is pretty basic and blocky, but it's a style I guess! :tongue: And hey! It's my first rock work ever! Hurray! :laugh:

May Kawashita bring fortune.

Edited by Niloc

Congrats on your first rock rock! I haven't crossed that bridge yet. Looks good. The flex tubing works well for this, and the upper and lower levels of land, each with a tree, creates a bit of balance like a bansai so that is really fitting too. :thumbup:

Weird trees! I've never seen them built like that, I really dig it. :thumbup:

Thanks everyone! The starting idea for this build was really the flex tubing to make trees, so it's nice to know you find them weird and creative. That was my goal. :grin: I try to create new techniques for landscape, since a lot of the same techniques are always coming back.