Sign in to follow this  
mrcp6d

[Challenge 1] Vampire Ray of Arium Major

Tags: Exploration

18840963489_f110578179_c.jpg

--Weekly Explorer's Transmission--

--Log of Eagle-Eye Silver--

-- 21 Junali 3815--

I need to buy the Octan Corp. engineers a case of good stuff! The underwater robots they send to help us explore Sector F10 have been invaluable—especially since the large equatorial ocean of Arium Major supports some extremely large predators! The Vampire Ray is one of the largest apex predators, and apparently one of the most common. Our Octan Corp. submersible drones recorded many predation events in which a Vampire Ray attacked and consumed large (for Earth) sharks and whales. Attached to this report is a still image of one of these attacks. For scale, the shark in the picture is approximately 3 meters long, meaning that the ray here has a wingspan of roughly 5 meters. The teeth are equally enormous, they’re probably about 50cm long and are robust. These rays tend to shake their prey after biting down, so the teeth’s strength is clearly important. There is a group of spines near the base of the tail but we have not seen them used to aid in hunting. It’s unknown if these barbs are poisoned like in the terrestrial stingrays. I highly recommend that any human-piloted vessels sent to Arium Major be significantly armored against bites from the underwater creatures here. Frankly, I wouldn’t go into the water without some pretty big guns on a fast sub with hefty armor, once again, I’m glad we have the drones here! Eagle-Eye out.

--End--

A couple more angles on Flickr, C&C appreciated!

This is an absolute beauty - probably my favourite of the challenge builds that I've looked at. The angles are really dynamic and the colours seem appropriate to an undersea scene. So, comment but no criticism from me, I can't see how to improve it!

Awesome Ray! Sharks are nutritious. :wink: Really like the angle of the ray and the rocks. Something too about the way the little yellow plants on the rock match the angle of the ray accentuates the ray's motion and just looks "right." Nice job! :thumbup:

This is an absolute beauty - probably my favourite of the challenge builds that I've looked at. The angles are really dynamic and the colours seem appropriate to an undersea scene. So, comment but no criticism from me, I can't see how to improve it!

Thanks for the praise Space Terrapin!

Fantastic build, mrcp6d! :wub: The rockwork is wonderful and I love the different plants :thumbup:

Thanks LittleJohn :classic:

Awesome Ray! Sharks are nutritious. :wink: Really like the angle of the ray and the rocks. Something too about the way the little yellow plants on the rock match the angle of the ray accentuates the ray's motion and just looks "right." Nice job! :thumbup:

Huh, I didn't notice the matched angles before :blush:, now I can't not see it! :laugh:

Sweet ray!

Thanks man!

Amazing build! The ray is great (and scary!) but I also like all the different plants you've made :thumbup:

That looks like one dangerous critter! Those spiky plants look really good too, and the seaweed bush is fantastic!

Fantastic entry! I love the ray, it has a Nemo's worst nightmare feeling to it. The whole scene has a great sense of life. Nice work!

Amazing build! The ray is great (and scary!) but I also like all the different plants you've made :thumbup:

That looks like one dangerous critter! Those spiky plants look really good too, and the seaweed bush is fantastic!

Thanks, I struggled with the plants for this one for a while!

Fantastic entry! I love the ray, it has a Nemo's worst nightmare feeling to it. The whole scene has a great sense of life. Nice work!

Thanks shmails! It's been a while since the last time I read 20,000 Leagues, I thought he was basically fearless? :laugh:

Awesome vampire ray!

Thanks Andrew!

This has got to be one of my favorite of the competition builds! So much gorgeous action! So many viscious sea critters! I particularly love the alien reef details on the rocks! Wonderful job!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I love this Vampire Ray! Well done on the rockwork and under water plants as well! That spiky plant looks so perfect. :wub:

This has got to be one of my favorite of the competition builds! So much gorgeous action! So many viscious sea critters! I particularly love the alien reef details on the rocks! Wonderful job!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Thanks Danny! The yellow dishes were my lame attempt at coral. :sceptic:

I love this Vampire Ray! Well done on the rockwork and under water plants as well! That spiky plant looks so perfect. :wub:

Thanks Lady K! Edited by mrcp6d

Excellent build mrcp6d, that ray is superb! :thumbup: Very nice rock-work and underwater plant life as well!

Excellent build mrcp6d, that ray is superb! :thumbup: Very nice rock-work and underwater plant life as well!

Gracias amigo!

Wow Excellent Build and Scene!

Thanks man!

The judges awarded you 8 points.

:grin:

How did I miss this? Wow, man! Incredible!

haha - thanks Graham, it's certainly been hard to keep up with this week's activities! :laugh: