KirTech LAB

[MOC] Feller-Buncher with Instructions

The topic is updated with new video:

Hello All!

Today I want to present one of my most complex models – Feller-Buncher. It’s the second version because the first one was unworkable and I was started it more than one year ago. The scale is approximately 1:15, model is based on John Deere 900 series Feller-Bunchers with leveling system. I haven't replicated body because I have a lack of green parts. These machines feel trees and stack them for easy removing. At the end of this post you can find the movie with complete demonstration but at first let's see what we have!

27687136305_3513cd735e_b.jpg

27652185606_445048ac67_b.jpg

Dimensions (max/min): 85(71) x 23 x 64(32) cm, total weight – 5870 g, ground clearance – 3.5 cm.

27076472543_ed6177f291_b.jpg

Independent remote controlled functions:

- moving (four L-motors, left and right tracks are independent). I use old type of tracks for smooth moving;

27687136125_1bf42f6ec5_b.jpg

- leveling system (two L-motors with independent control, four degrees of freedom: forward-backward, side-to-side, two diagonals);

27408554300_0b13f900ba_b.jpg

- tower rotation (two M-motors);

- first stage of boom (two L-motors);

- second stage of boom (one L-motor);

- two-dimension feller head tilting (longitudinal – one L-motor, transversal – one M-motor synchronized with tower rotation speed);

27652185006_c0c3434f76_b.jpg

- two pairs of claws for productivity improving (two independent micro-motors).

Manual functions:

- saw blade (micro-motor);

- lights (eleven LED pairs).

27408553680_d7c78a269c_b.jpg

The model has total eighteen motors (two synchronized additional motors are used for switching between modes of operation, because the number of RC functions is greater then number of Power Functions system channels). These motors are powered by seven IR receivers connected to four battery boxes and two accumulators.

Let’s see the movie!

More photos: https://flickr.com/photos/141718063@N06/albums/72157669793203555

Check this link for the building instructions: http://www.bricksafe...er/instructions

In conclusion I would say that the model control isn't too comfortable. It would be ideal to place four of S-bricks here but I don't have them.

Thanks for watching!

Edited by desert752

With one word: IMPRESSIVE !!!

I like the sentences:

The model has total eighteen motors...

...seven IR receivers connected to four battery boxes and two accumulators... !!!

Waaauuu...

The most impressive is that all the functions are fully functional... I know how hard is to build such a big and complex model... and the Idea with Unimog Universal Joints... Impressive... :)

I like it! Probably next Candidate for Hall of Fame?

Max Supercars...

Edited by MaxSupercars

As I already said, this is one of the most and impressive Moc that I've ever seen. Truly impressive! This moc is worthy of entering the Hof.

Edited by MrTekneex

Moves well, looks good. Fantastic all round

Edited by kieran

Holy smokes! Very impressive and beautifully styled as well. Very impressive how much technology you managed to get inside.

The leveling system is simple yet effective. It took me a while to figure out how it worked, since I initially didn't see the separation between the axles on the sides. Very ingenious!

Also, thumbs up for the photography and the movie: very nicely done!

Very good, and fast moving. We don't have to have a cup of tea while we are waiting on some of the rotations. A nice change from the crawlers, trucks and cars.

Thanks for kind words!

How long did it take for you to get at this end result? And how many parts does it have?

This version was started in autumn and there were large time gaps when I was taken part in competitions and built other models. I don't know parts quantity now :)

Man this is awesome, any chance of instructions being done for this or is it too complex?. :thumbup::devil::thumbup:

Edited by technicfan

Very impressive! I like the functions very much! It works great!

Wow, that is indeed an impressive MOC. The stabilizing mechanism is very well executed. Great work.

This MOC earns the Frontpage! And I have awarded you a Technic Tag. Another MOC like this and you will definitely get the Pro tag :wink:

Thanks a lot for kind words! I'm glad you like it!

Man this is awesome, any chance of instructions being done for this or is it too complex?. :thumbup::devil::thumbup:

I have many thoughts about instructions :) To say the truth I can create instructions, it's not too complex but it takes a lot of time. I want to take part in TC7 contest so the next month I'll be very short of time. The main question is: what kind of receivers should we use? I think it will be ideal to place four of S-bricks for comfortable control but I have only two of them and that's why I can't test it.

Can you show us a photo of the remote control setup?

I simply connect four IR transmitters, one per PF channel.

Wow, that is indeed an impressive MOC. The stabilizing mechanism is very well executed. Great work.

This MOC earns the Frontpage! And I have awarded you a Technic Tag. Another MOC like this and you will definitely get the Pro tag :wink:

Thanks a lot! I think I have four MOCs like this but I really don't pretend to pro :)

Edited by desert752

Really, really cool model!!

It is just perfect.

Very original concept and well done Lego version.

I specially like the leveling system :thumbup:

Great model. I watched your progress on the tilting mechanism and had my doubts about the stability of such a high contraption, but this thing is defying the laws of gravity *huh*

It makes my curious what your next projec will be... :laugh:

Great MOC. You did well with the limited amount of green parts. The felling head works great. The leveling systems is fantastic, and the organization needed for all 18 motors is top notch. Your Technic Tag, and front page are well deserved.

I've loved John Deere since I was a kid, so I kinda have a soft spot for this build. :blush:

Anyway, I really like it. Accurate, and unlike most technic moles, it looks complete and not just like a skeleton or a frame of a build.

Keep up the good work sir. :classic::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for comments and appreciation!

It makes my curious what your next projec will be... :laugh:

Now I'm a bit tired of large projects and I want to create a few middle-size models; but at first I want to create something for TC7 contest because it's very interesting competition.

Lots of thoughts went into this, I am sure.

Yes - tons of paper, liters of coffee.. and kilometers of wires :)))

Really, really cool model!!

It is just perfect.

Very original concept and well done Lego version.

I specially like the leveling system :thumbup:

Thanks!!!