Mark of Falworth

[Challenge - 1][M - A06] The Dire Deserts of Death.

EDIT #2~ Here is my updated Challenge 1 entry!

A Desert Butte on Guinevere.

19036114571_a197c26d86_z.jpg

20x20 studs, unedited and no figs.

Not exactly superior to my larger scene/story below, but it's the best I could do in 30 minutes! :wink:

Below is a freebuild based on my previous build, which would not qualify for the challenge (And I do not want to delete it!). Please do not consider it in judging.

Begin A06 Freebuild-

18809625690_1683ecff6a_c.jpg

AG Challenge 1 by Mark E., on Flickr

The pristine desert landscape of Guinevere. Only erosion and wind has disturbed these majestic canyons. Until now that is......

When we last left Mark of Orion, he had just jumped from a MANTIS™ dropship onto the surface of Guinevere. Upon contact, the MANTIS™ associates had divided into two teams, one led by Captain Brutus, and the other by Mark.

Malcolm strode along with an air of pompous self-importance.

"I don't understand why you went back to the ship once you heard we had to split up! What's the deal? Are you afraid of going off on your own?"

18813074258_fcc7959a44_n.jpg

Mark rolled his eyes.

"I don't want to take the risk of walking blind. I had a near-death experience with a 20 foot alien on my last mission and I'm only alive now because a friend of mine was paying attention to the scanner. I'm not so stupid that I can't learn a lesson..."

Malcolm grinned like a baked possum.

"You were a space pirate or something weren't you?"

Mark nodded and continued to scan the rock formations.

"Yeah, something like that."

Malcolm plodded along after Mark, now oblivious to his surroundings.

"You must have not been a very good one if they caught you..."

Mark's brow wrinkled. And it was only his solemn duty to MANTIS™ that prevented his teaching insolent Malcolm firsthand the hazardous effects of a certain MANTIS™ Death Ray Blaster© he had strapped to his back.

"Avoiding the law is like a marathon, the run is long, but there is a definite end."

Malcolm laughed.

"Brain over brawn, dude! It's smarts that count in the corporate world."

Mark sighed. This was going to be a tiresome mission. "A little physical competence never hurts. Speaking of which, are you covering those cliffs? My scanner reads no lifeforms but something or someone could be cloaked."

Malcolm waved his hand as if shooing a fly away.

"Relax, man, there's nothing out here! Brutus just likes some drama. There's absolutely nothing to worry abou...(GASP) LOOK OUT!!!!"

Malcolm had glanced up at the cliff in question and was horrified by the sight of three armored Kawashita special forces agents! He quickly raised his hand phaser to fire at the enemy!

18374858724_5f1a0470b9_n.jpg

But alas, he was too late! With a bright flash, a nano beam from the Kawashita special forces agent vaporized poor Malcolm on the spot!

BRRZAAKKK!!! *Pooof*

19000463471_799dc93da3_n.jpg

As soon as Mark heard the shot, he dropped his scanner, drew his MANTIS™ Death Ray Blaster©, and dove towards the canyon wall in one quick motion.

19000497131_75041c7e52_n.jpg

He was none too soon! Another nano beam hit the spot Mark was standing milliseconds before!

Mark snapped up against the rock wall, blaster ready, and listened for the enemy. He didn't get a chance to see where they were.

18809808260_13f1a18a36_n.jpg

It wasn't a minute before a taunting voice echoed across the valley.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are! Mwahaha!"

19000417931_01f5a3d40e_n.jpg

Another Kawashitan voice chimed in.

"Don't worry, Zeloot. He won't get away. This is like shooting a fish in a barrel!"

Mark began to analyze his situation as he noticed the small pile of ash where Malcolm stood a minute ago...

With the help of a soaring pulse and a rush of adrenaline, a clever plan for survival sprung to mind.

18811334489_88ebbc3970_n.jpg

The ex-space pirate carefully drew out a small capsule that he had been keeping in his spacesuit.

Mark mused to himself, they probably haven't seen this in Kawashita before...

Without further thought, Mark threw the small cylinder up towards the jeering voices.

18809903048_863b90262e_n.jpg

The Kawashian special forces anticipated a conventional method of attack.

"HAND GRENADE! QUICK, FIRE!"

Before they could fire, however, the "hand grenade" let out a powerful electron pulse which promptly zapped the nano beam rifles of Mark's foes!

19000632561_8b48170d22.jpg

...Immediately rendering their weapon battery cells useless!

Mark didn't wish to let his enemies recover from their shock, and so fired up his Awesomnium Powered Jetpack!

18376542343_85993a0bc9_z.jpg

Mark now glared eye to eye with the helpless Kawashita employees as he cocked his MANTIS™ Death Ray Blaster© four feet from their faces!

"You were SAYING?!?!?!"

To Be Continued!

(Begin commentary)

No hard feelings to my dark red friends! Clearly a truce is in your best interests since you are technologically inept in combat. :grin:

Here are a few shots on a plain background for those who prefer them! Enjoy!

18971030336_5ebfd53f5d.jpg

18997242575_6607590ae6.jpg

The Dire Deserts of Death. by Mark E., on Flickr

EDIT* I now realize I didn't read the rules. Shucks! Unless I can find time to fix this consider this a freebuild. :wink:

Edited by Mark of Falworth

Uhm, this truly is an awsome build, and I hate to be the devil's advocate, but the rules state that no minifigures are allowed (which you did comment on), only 1 image may be photoshopped, and there is a size limit of 24x24 bricks (minimum overhang allowed). :wacko:

So, ehm... Bob?

Uhm, this truly is an awsome build, and I hate to be the devil's advocate, but the rules state that no minifigures are allowed (which you did comment on), only 1 image may be photoshopped, and there is a size limit of 24x24 bricks (minimum overhang allowed). :wacko:

So, ehm... Bob?

Oh drat! I didn't notice the size restrictions. :sick:

Ohwell. Enjoy the Moc! I'll see if I have time to retrofit it tomorrow. :blush:

Love that opening shot. The color choices in the build and that background are made for each other, and the rock work is so well done! Beautiful use of color and fantastic lighting. The action sequence is really well done too. Looking forward to seeing which way you decide to go with it, but this is really nice.

Well, I hope you have the time to do it (or make a new build and post this for next week's weekly, it truly is a great build :classic:)!

It's a great build, but yeah... someone isn't reading the rules.

Nice build and great edit Mark of Falworth! Love the 4 colours in the rock :wub:

At first I thought the front rock was part of a gigantic canyon, but then the minifigs considerably reduced the scale! :laugh: It would make a nice continuation to your storyline if you don't have time to change it to "challenge mode".

great build and great story too, but it's the photo editing that's really the icing on the cake!

No hard feelings?? How could there be!!

Absolutely awesome build - both of them! I actually like the "second" butte (the challenge butte) better, but the first one certainly fits in better with the landscape. I wish the other rock formations were a little higher to match it - not quite as tall, but they just don't tower QUITE enough for my taste. But the stratification of those rocks and the downward facing slope pieces... blows my mind. Absolutely gorgeous, hilarious story (I want to start killing mini-figs, but I have to introduce some first!) and those edited pictures are awesome too. Even the fight feels dynamic and fast paced, which is hard to do with LEGO, so kudos for that.

We'll get you back! :sweet:

Thanks a bunch everyone! First post edited for challenge specifications! :wink:

No hard feelings?? How could there be!!

Absolutely awesome build - both of them! I actually like the "second" butte (the challenge butte) better, but the first one certainly fits in better with the landscape. I wish the other rock formations were a little higher to match it - not quite as tall, but they just don't tower QUITE enough for my taste. But the stratification of those rocks and the downward facing slope pieces... blows my mind. Absolutely gorgeous, hilarious story (I want to start killing mini-figs, but I have to introduce some first!) and those edited pictures are awesome too. Even the fight feels dynamic and fast paced, which is hard to do with LEGO, so kudos for that.

We'll get you back! :sweet:

Much appreciated, man! Yes, the non-challenge moc is more free to flow. 24x24 is smaller than I usually build so it felt a little boxed up on the smaller footprint.

Haha! Secondary characters are the best! So... disposable. :devil:

Awesome story and beautiful build! Nice safe on the size restrictions! :wink:

Fantastic build Mark, loved the story too! Shame that part doesn't count... a shame for you that is, not for the competition, :laugh:

Is it bad that I really like the nanobeam shot? :blush:

The color gradation is really good!

I almost like the new version better. Amazing work on all accounts!

I agree, losing the off-angle dark tan pieces helped pull it together. Shame the smaller rock structures had to go too though. They added so much to the landscape pic.

That's a damn fine butte you've got there! :wub: seriously! Very well shaped! The way you've built it, it really looks like rock! We'll done! :wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Awesome build(s)! The rock shape and color is absolutely perfect (and I just came back from the southwest)! Perfect rendition! :wub: