NuckElBerg

[Challenge 1] Birth of a Fire Wasp [K - A06]

[Challenge 1] Birth of a Fire Wasp on Guinevere

This is probably my favourite build in AG (by myself that is :tongue:) so far! Getting everything to work together took a lot of tinkering, but the end result ended up looking almost exactly as I had planned, so I'm very happy about that. The build clocks in at exactly 1000 pieces.

EDIT: Seems like I misinterpreted the rules as only being allowed to post one rendered image. Since that doesn't seem to be the case (as Bob uploaded a couple of renders), I added a few low quality renders under the spoiler button.

--//Private Log Begin. Date: 2006(38)15. Scramble code: None.//--

*Sigh*, this is my first private log since arriving in the 'Gates. Now, I generally consider myself a pretty level-headed guy, most problems can be fixed with some smart thinking, a mech suit and a few building bots. But seriously. I hate Guinevere. The whole planet is a big heap of sand and dirt, and the little places that aren't are instead covered with fire- and lava-spewing volcanoes. Sure, those biologist wimps say that the "bio-life is really interesting here, we can learn a lot from it!", but seriously guys, who are you trying to kid? We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Guinevere's extremely rich Gold veins.

Now, on top of the environment in general being among the s*ckiest imaginable, there are all sorts of things trying to kill us here, ranging from sand worms to M.A.N.T.I.S. to whatever other godforsaken thing you can imagine wanting to kill you.

And then there are the Fire Wasps.

[Attached: Video.of.Fire.Wasp.Being.Born.ahqv]

QrB8UnO.png

Seriously, these things are like the unholy offspring of fire and death itself. They are born from eggs which their mothers lay in volcanoes, godd*mnit! If that doesn't make you sh*t your pants, consider that they are around 8 meters tall, have an absurdly strong exoskeleton (it has some sort of nanotube-like structure, which is the main reason why the fire wasps have managed to grow so big while still having exoskeletons), AND have a burning core in their tail, making them both almost completely fire resistant (including our laser weapons) plus having the ability to shoot fire/lava instead of poison from their stingers.

At least the fire wasps mainly eat sulphur based creatures, so we aren't seen as food (yet). However, they are extremely territorial, so as soon as we get anywhere close to their nests (which is basically within a couple of kilometers... they have really good hearing/sensing)), they start attacking fiercely in large groups.

God, I really wish we could get off this planet soon.

Q, out.

--//Private Log End. Signature: Q. Scramble code: None.//--

Thanks for reading/looking, C&C always appreciated! More pictures/comments under the spoiler button!

84XdydO.png

From the side.

FnJXV2R.png

From behind.

mAviezy.png

Close up of the lava and vegetation. The transparent pieces are supposed to represent steam, and the "swoosh" from the wasp emerging from the volcano. As can clearly be seen, I took some inspiration for the vegetation from Narbilu's Challenge 1 post. :classic:

QMdBpcP.png

Unrendered picture from LDD.

Ttxcx6O.png

Unrendered from the side.

YOZrc1D.png

Unrendered from behind.

IjCNcLN.png

Unrendered close up of the lava.

0lEIOTD.png

Unrendered vegetation near the volcano.

dqsi1dP.png

Base from behind.

LauIObg.png

Close up of some of the lava flairs. I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out. :classic:

u8W0Akm.png

Closeup of the head. The head was probably the hardest part to make, since those large eyes made it look far to nice compared to what I had in mind. I think I managed to make it quite menacing in the end though. :wink:

MqDt9AR.png

The tail with its burning core.

Thank you for looking all the way down here. Now for another long session to complete this week's build!

Edited by NuckElBerg

Wow, I love this scene! The explosions of lava, the flows over the sides onto the rocks, and of course the creature are all really well done. Really nice work!

Simply AWESOME! And it looks like I could possibly build it with my bricks.... I might have to try it sometime when I get more time.

Very nice build! The exploding lava looks great, and good job on the creature's shape as well! :thumbup:

Wow, I love this scene! The explosions of lava, the flows over the sides onto the rocks, and of course the creature are all really well done. Really nice work!

Thank you shmails, getting a comment such as this from an awsome builder like yourself truly makes me both honoured and humbled! :wub:

Simply AWESOME! And it looks like I could possibly build it with my bricks.... I might have to try it sometime when I get more time.

Thanks! And as I said earlier, I think it would look awsome in bricks, so if you want the .lxf-/LDD-file, just write me up! :sweet:

Very nice build! The exploding lava looks great, and good job on the creature's shape as well! :thumbup:

Thanks Kai! I think the shape turned out very much like I wanted it, with a very curved body (which can mainly be seen from the side)! :classic:

Edited by NuckElBerg

Woah, that be all kinds of nasty-awesomeness! It looks like it's ready to spew all kinds of ickyness at anyone it comes across....

But MANTIS like bugs, so we would befriend it :D

Fantastic shaping here!

Edited by David FNJ

Wow, that thing is crazy! Sure am glad Guinevere is on the other side of the galaxy! :grin:

Thank you all! It seems like I misinterpreted the rules, so I added a few more low-quality renders under the spoiler button. :thumbup:

Woah, that be all kinds of nasty-awesomeness! It looks like it's ready to spew all kinds of ickyness at anyone it comes across....

But MANTIS like bugs, so we would befriend it :D

Fantastic shaping here!

I don't think even M.A.N.T.I.S. would want to try befriending these bugs... or... hold on a minute... Yes, you should really, really try befriending them. Like, all of you, at the same time! :grin:

Great build! Love the story, and that wasp looks...AMAZING! I love how you created the explosion/eruption of the mini volcano, the terrain fits it well too. The whole build actually reminds me of a phoenix's rebirth for some reason.. "Out of the ashes-a new phoenix is born" Something like that...

~Beltar

um...WOW... :oh: , stunning renders with a great build to boot. POV-Ray? stunning work. :sweet:

Thanks! Yes, POV-Ray. I'm thinking about trying Blurender (that's what it's called, right) in the future, but at the moment it looks a bit too cartoonish for my taste. :classic:

Great build! Love the story, and that wasp looks...AMAZING! I love how you created the explosion/eruption of the mini volcano, the terrain fits it well too. The whole build actually reminds me of a phoenix's rebirth for some reason.. "Out of the ashes-a new phoenix is born" Something like that...

~Beltar

Wow, that praise, thank you Beltar! :wub: I don't think I explicitly thought about the birth of a phoenix when I built it, but now that you mentioned it, I definitely see that I had a similar imagery in my mind when creating it (or essentially, that same imagery, but with a volcano and a wasp rather than ashes and a flaming bird)! :classic:

Oh my god! Look at that thing! If MANTIS want this planet they can have it :laugh:

That's what I've been saying all along! :laugh::wacko:

Wow! So much action in that build with the lava exploding everywhere. And the wasp is brilliant!

Oh my god! Look at that thing! If MANTIS want this planet they can have it :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing! :laugh::look:

...MANTIS accepts your offer of Guinevere! :tongue:

Seriously, that is one sick looking bug, and the environment around it is just as good. :thumbup:

Thank you everyone! :wub:

...MANTIS accepts your offer of Guinevere! :tongue:

Seriously, that is one sick looking bug, and the environment around it is just as good. :thumbup:

The environment turned out much better than I could have hoped for initially. :classic: Most things I did were basically "that sounds like it could work, let's try it", and then they actually worked (which I'm very surprised about :tongue::wink:)! The combination of "stair-building" and SNOT for the volcano, and then later the flairs basically worked like I thought they would "right out of the box", for example. :classic:

Absolutely superb! Love the wings, love the sense of motion. Feels like a birth. :thumbup: