Background is a bit cluttered, though...  with regards to Myers tire photos a few posts back

Edited by JGW3000

17 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

For subjects like tires, I like the earthy and warm feel of a worn wooden work table.  

Hi. You have embedded images larger than 1024 wide. Resizing them with the editor means you are still embedding a larger version. You are using Bricksafe, so you can easily embed a 1024 wide version. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Tommy Styrvoky said:

Would anyome have any good suggestions for removing reflections when using a green screen?

Try to keep the green screen further away from the model.  This has a few advantages:

• Any green reflection should only appear on the back of the model, and not in the photo from the camera.
  • You will be able to light the green screen separately from the model so that you can get the green screen evenly lit to avoid lots of post-processing.
  • Having distance between the green screen and the model also allows the depth-of-field to be focused on the model, while the green screen is blurred out. This helps to make the green screen look more uniform, which also helps to avoid lots of post-processing. Lastly, this allows your model to have nice sharp edges which helps when post-processing.

Great suggestions, thanks :thumbup: 

However, most of us are using a backdrop, which automatically places the model near and ON the green. Any thoughts about that?

Have been contemplating on doing Chroma Keying, but I am not sure if it will be beneficial.

If I use a seamless backdrop that usually has some neutral color (white, gray, etc). I assume the green screen/background is used when the aim is to replace that completely in post process with something else. Based on my experience to have correct shadows and to remove the color cast in post process is really time consuming, rarely worth the effort. It's more effective to create a physical base for the model what matches the scene you'd like to create, e.g. dirt, pavement, Lego road etc. and only use the green screen as a background. In this case you avoid most of the color cast, don't have to tinker with the shadows, and it's easier to replace the background only. Obviously it's not working for every scene, but most of the time it's manageable. 

I recognize your assessment. Shadows are the hardest part when it comes to post processing.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Hi. You have embedded images larger than 1024 wide. Resizing them with the editor means you are still embedding a larger version. You are using Bricksafe, so you can easily embed a 1024 wide version. Thanks!

Smaller images embedded. 

8 minutes ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Smaller images embedded. 

Thank you sir!

Just got a new camera, here are some pictures I took with it.

First, the setup:

800x480.jpg

Then the actual photo, straight from the camera, no edits.

800x600.jpg

And some pictures just on a white counter.

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

@Offroadcreat1ons I'd suggest to use an extra light as the model has a lot of black and the image is a little dark as well overall. Put the light 30-45 degrees away from the camera, and put a simple white sheet of paper in front of it if the shadows are too harsh. 

On 6/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, kbalage said:

@dr_spock Haha that's a nice one :) Nice smooth lighting on the photo btw, looks like a 3d render

Thanks.  I was trying out the new camera.

7 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Just got a new camera, here are some pictures I took with it.

Is it a Fujifilm XP camera?

37 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Thanks.  I was trying out the new camera.

Is it a Fujifilm XP camera?

Yep.

7 hours ago, kbalage said:

@Offroadcreat1ons I'd suggest to use an extra light as the model has a lot of black and the image is a little dark as well overall. Put the light 30-45 degrees away from the camera, and put a simple white sheet of paper in front of it if the shadows are too harsh. 

800x600.jpg

Here it is with another light, but it is too yellow now. 

I took a series of photos to try to show the differences between the various light sources and the auto camera settings vs automatic or manual post processing. I prefer to use Adobe Lightroom for post processing, but there are good freeware tools as well (e.g. Gimp) where automatic correction is available. I use two 60x60cm LED panels as diffuse light source, but as I mentioned before a comparable effect can be achieved with a simple desk lamp and a sheet of white paper in front of it. You can achieve decent results even with a standard warm room light and automatic software correction (see the second image).

Lighting_demo_small.jpg

Bigger version of the image: http://racingbrick.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Lighting_demo.jpg

19 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Try decreasing the temperature in post. 

Does that camera allow RAW shooting?

Done, and no.

800x600.jpg

vs original: (in spoiler so the mods don't get mad I reposted it :grin:)

Spoiler

800x600.jpg

That is a very nice picture!!

If I am not mistaken, you use Lightroom, right? Something which would improve the picture somewhat is bringing out a bit more details in the highlight and shadows. That would make the left front wheel of the left telehandler less of a black blob. There would be a little bit more detail.

But that's a minor detail, your pic looks great!

Do you have a RAW image? 

I always took photos with my phone's camera, mostly with horrible results that even processing couldn't fix. Then, my GF won a "real" camera (Sony DSC H300, which is low budget but quite good device). I did some experiments with photos and obviously most were better than those taken with the phone.

Last time I tried an experiment with two stiff posters, a plank of wood (spare shelf from IKEA wardrobe) and just sunlight as a light source. Thus, the photos for the Hob Rod were taken. They are far from perfect, but for NO processing whatsoever, only cropping, they are quite good - good enough to surpass anything I did before and that's why I posted them even if the focus was a bit off.

Of course, when I'll move to an apartment that's bigger than a two car garage, I'll buy the biggest roll of white paper in the world and a lamp with an umbrella or a softbox.

My 12 year old daughter figured out how to do backgrounds and balance contrast without any guidance, not bad for a first try, and using a small P/S camera.  Subject is mostly black/grey MOC of 42065.

tracked_R.jpg

Pretty good @JGW3000! You can see the impercefctions from the camera, but taking no heed of that, it looks quite professional! Just one question, what is the little reddish edge behind the right side of the creation? An editing error or intentional?

Edited by Myers Lego Technic

@JGW3000 - That image is looking pretty good - your daughter did a good job.  :thumbup:

Some constructive feedback:

1. Fix the little bit of background showing on the right that @Myers Lego Technic mentioned.
  2. It looks a little bit grainy - try lowering the ISO.
  3. The shadow at the front has a little bit of blue tint to it, but it is still very acceptable.

4. I think your camera moved a bit during the shooting. Use a remote to activate the cam or use the 2 second mode (if your camera has it)

Like Splat said, lower you ISO, preferably to 100 (fixed to 100). Use a tripod, or something to put your camera on. Let your cam determine the shutter speed (this can be several seconds) (Av mode).

Your daughter did a pretty good job though!!!

Which camera are you using?

She has a Fujifilm FinePix XP90, good for a 12 year old kid for outdoor use.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll pass these along.  I am working with my daughter to improve her photography skills - unlike in the old days when we had to be cautious of not wasting too much film, we can shoot lots of images with digital, which is both good and bad - the best lesson is to critically examine your images - what is good, what is bad, and what can be improved.  I am planning to teach the kids black/white film photography later this year, this should improve their skills as well.  I am also trying to get them to read the camera manuals :devil: so they can get better shots.

My daughter used a wall and a desk for the background, so there is a discontinuity where the two meet, hence the reddish line.

Edited by JGW3000

On 6/10/2017 at 0:09 PM, Jim said:

That is a very nice picture!!

If I am not mistaken, you use Lightroom, right? Something which would improve the picture somewhat is bringing out a bit more details in the highlight and shadows. That would make the left front wheel of the left telehandler less of a black blob. There would be a little bit more detail.

But that's a minor detail, your pic looks great!

Do you have a RAW image? 

Thanks.  I don't have Lightroom or a RAW.  I haven't advanced to pulling details out shadows yet.  Something still to learn on the photography journey.  :classic:

On 6/14/2017 at 4:37 PM, JGW3000 said:

My 12 year old daughter figured out how to do backgrounds and balance contrast without any guidance, not bad for a first try, and using a small P/S camera.  Subject is mostly black/grey MOC of 42065.

Pretty good.  There seem to be bit of blur.  Her shutter speed was 1/8s. Generally I use the timer on my Canon A590is P&S and a tripod when shutter speed is below 1/60.  ':classic:

12 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Thanks.  I don't have Lightroom or a RAW.  I haven't advanced to pulling details out shadows yet.  Something still to learn on the photography journey.  :classic:

Okay, I was mistaken. Shooting RAW and using LR will obviously improve your results :thumbup:

If you whiten the upper right corner, you already have a great picture though!