Sign in to follow this  
LucasLaughing

[O - H03] The Mudskipper

Tags: Vehicle, Exploration

Lu's Log - 14 Junali 3815

First of all, I would like to formally apologize to all those who were eating lunch in the training facility courtyard yesterday; that was my first time trying to pilot a hover-vehicle that large, and the controls were more sensitive than I expected. I understand that it was startling to see a vehicle flying toward you, at full speed, ten feet off the ground, but I assure you no one was in any danger. Following the "incident," Terrapin, one of our best drivers, showed me how to use the magnetic oscillators to compensate for ground resonance, and it was smooth flying from there.

18632476898_1bd2efe8af_c.jpg

Today, I'm flying over the equatorial region of Kaalin. The terrain is mainly clay and soft rocks, but orbital scans suggested that this region might have vast Awesomnium veins below ground. The Mudskipper is equipped with ground-penetrating radar, along with a host of other sensors, so I'm flying a low grid pattern, waiting for the instruments to pick something up.

18822870641_29b7e42ae8_c.jpg

18199577193_e94c78aa3b_c.jpg

Finally, the sensors pick up an ore signature near a dry creek bed, so I land and get ready to drill a core sample. If I do find Awesomnium, HQ will dispatch a couple of larger rigs to mine it out.

18199563903_82071ae9f4_c.jpg

18822840471_826b03c288_c.jpg

The interior is cramped, but my chair swivels around so that I can operate the drill controls.

18632480350_782b0c4f7a_c.jpg

I could get out and stretch my legs - the oxygen/nitrogen balance is comparable to earths', but I prefer to stay inside the pressurized craft. Those of us who grew up on one of the colonies tend to be a bit more wary of outside air. Children on earth learn the song "Twinkle, Twinkle Neutron Star." Well, we learned a song that had the same tune, but the lyrics went like this:

"Mama, Papa, why can't we play outside?"

"The Martian plague killed billions, dear, how horribly they died.

They choked on their own insides as their heads seemed to deflate,

Now we have a special room to decontaminate."

"Mama, Papa, why can't we play outside?"

"The Martian plague killed billions, dear, how horribly they died.

Anyway ... I get the drill set-up and cross my fingers for an Awesomnium deposit.

This is Lu, signing out.

18632474190_ce95724ba5_c.jpg

Bonus pics:

18794777526_62469141b9_c.jpg

Full drill extension

18634909259_475583055a_c.jpg

Opening hatch

Edited by LucasLaughing

Wow, Fantastic Story! The Mudskipper drilling rig is awesome! I bet it can make a good mess with out the mud guards attached. :laugh:

Lots to look at here, the ship looks really good and so does the terrain! It would be nice to get a picture of the whole MOC to be able to put it in perspective a bit, but nonetheless, great work!

Wow, the details you've packed into the ship are great! I really like the shape of it as well, it's unusual... in a very good way :sweet:

Great landscape too!

I love your builds!

Beautiful ship and more gorgeous terrain!

Fantastic photography!

And what a creepy song!

The shape is very reminiscent of a deep diving submersible. The drill out back is great, the landscape is great, the opening hatch is great... the story is great. So glad to see one of my favorite SoNE builders here and working for Octan!

That ship looks really good and it has a drill. Which could be retrofitted to a missile laucher. :devil: And the terrain is superb. Awesome job!

I love that ship, I love that terrain, I Love the story with the little morbid rhyme, but what I especially love is that you matched the control panel to the outside terrain flawlessly! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Hilarious song, fantastic take and representation of the landscape! I love the bubble cockpit for this ship, it fits well and looks good in the environment! Love the drill as well. :thumbup: This ship looks like it fits its function perfectly and effectively, while still being stylistic and inventive!