NuckElBerg

[K-E10] Polar Military Base on Traig IV

[K - E10] Polar Military Base on Traig IV

This is my first microbuild ever, so all kinds of CC is approciated! I had a lot more fun building this than I had initially anticipated, doing things on a microscale forces one to think in very different way than one usually does. As usual, my projects tend to become bigger than I intend... this one clocks in at a little over 1200 pieces.

For scale purposes, one tile (without stud) is around 2m high.

(Also, I realized why rendering was so slow last week (custom radiosity), so this week you'll get a lot of renders (one high def, and a few a little lower def)!)

--//Transmission Begin. Date: 1506(38)15. Scramble code: hhakKHI7924kja29jKllflhgm.//--

orS8QqZ.png

Due to reports of possible imminent direct contact with Octan, HQ decided we needed to set up a forward base on Traig IV. Its mountainous islands near the poles, which are covered with thick layers of ice and snow, provide excellent opportunities for building such bases, both thanks to the strong magnetic fields eminating from them, which interfere with enemy scanning equipment, the supply of fresh water from the snow, and the opportunity for our scientists to study the planets very interesting oceanic flora and fauna.

UxjEI8I.png

The majority of the base is located underground, including a vast hangar which can hold up to 6 Alpha Class airships (one of them which is currently landing), 50 heavy bombers and a couple of hundred smaller fighter jets, plus several different ground vehicles, including variants of the ATC-76 (which can be seen approaching the base). Some parts are located on the surface however.

otHCbb0.jpg

The living arrangements for the troops and scientists, which consists of several self propelling modules, which land on each other to form a tower of sorts, is located above ground in order to minimize the space used (for harder visual/radiation tracking) and to facilitate rapid evacuation in case of an emergency. The research facilities require daylight for particular types of experiments, so part of it is above ground. The Awsomnium tanks were just delivered via orbital delivery ships, and will be hauled into the hangar as soon as possible.

mjnF5K1.png

Two ATCs approaching the front gate.

CE2kijc.png

The base from above.

Col. QL, out.

--//Transmission End. Signature: Col. QL. Scramble code: hhakKHI7924kja29jKllflhgm.//--

Hope you enjoyed it! More unrendered pictures and comments under the spoiler button!

cuOX5IH.png

The big cannons on the Alpha Class Spaceship folds in (this as can be seen here). However, it is important to have them folded out during landing and liftoff, as these are the moments when the ship is most vunerable.

nqsM56k.png

I really enjoyed making this "little guy" (I use quotation marks, since technically, he's around 25-30 m tall, and the tanks he's carrying are the regular sized (large) Awsomnium tanks. I might come back to make a full scale model of him later...

JhKzD5S.png

The hangar, where you can see some parked fighter jets, plus a bomber and a couple of jets taking off.

npcRqnA.png

This is a satellite dish and an orbital cannon. They're like... really big (each cannon is somewhere like 30 m long and has a barrel diameter of 6 m).

CWUGiFt.png

A different version of the Alpha Class ship, with chained binoculars instead, as suggested by Commander Turtle. I probably prefer this version, but, too late now. :wink:

Edited by NuckElBerg

Awesome! I've been thinking there's some great opportunities for microscale in this game, glad to see you're the one to get started with it. Looks great to me :classic:

Only critique, since you asked, would be to make the guns on the ship a little smaller. Could have used binoculars alone. It's not like we're in much direct conflict, yet!

This military base (which dosen't exsist, by the way) is for figting hostile aliens (not Octan) :innocent:

If anyone hapen to come across it (and survive) than it's a sciense outpost (with 30 m guns sensor arrays) :grin:

Edited by EpsilonEta

Awesome! I've been thinking there's some great opportunities for microscale in this game, glad to see you're the one to get started with it. Looks great to me :classic:

Only critique, since you asked, would be to make the guns on the ship a little smaller. Could have used binoculars alone. It's not like we're in much direct conflict, yet!

Thanks! I like the idea of binoculars alone as guns! I'll probably use it in future builds, especially since binoculars can be chained (actually, I liked the idea so much that I uploaded a picture of the ship with chained binoculars instead... looks very nice! :classic:).

This military base (which dosen't exsist, by the way) is for figting hostile aliens (not Octan) :innocent:

If anyone hapen to come across it (and survive) than it's a sciense outpost (with 30 m guns sensor arrays) :grin:

Of course. With 30 m long guns sensor arrays, we can get very, very accurate readings. :laugh:

Wow that base has a LOT of guns, especially considering your not at war( not yet at least) Nice work!

A minifig scale build of the "little guy" would be great, but I'm starting to think a minifig scale build of those guns sensor arrays would be awesome! :laugh: Great job. I really like it. I've never built in microscale before, so my only CC is I'm glad we have really big sensor arrays here at Kawashita. :wink:

Edited by aeralure

Amazing build! That's a whole lot of guns...I love all the little details you put in certain places, intentional or not. Those microscale ships look great too! (You should register the Alpha Class ship, if you have a name, as some mentioned before...)

Do those sensor pick up any movement and instantly shoot scan the target object?

~Beltar

This is so cool. Those turrets are amazing, and the overall feeling is very nice.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I'll try to respond to a few of them below! :classic:

Fantastic micro build! :wub: I really like the gate area and that big tower is excellent :thumbup:

Thanks! :blush: The gate area came to me very early in the build and just felt... natural. The tower was the first thing I built, and it's actually somewhat inspired by a Swedish real-life skyscraper (Turning Torso). Also, I hope it came across that the blue colours on the tower are meant to represent windows (since there arent any transparent bricks of that type). :classic:

A minifig scale build of the "little guy" would be great, but I'm starting to think a minifig scale build of those guns sensor arrays would be awesome! :laugh: Great job. I really like it. I've never built in microscale before, so my only CC is I'm glad we have really big sensor arrays here at Kawashita. :wink:

When I first read this comments (regarding the gun sensor array) I thought it would be quite boring, but after letting it sink in a little, you might be onto something. It would probably be possible to fit in some really cool details in there... I'll see what the future brings. :wink: Glad you enjoyed the build! :thumbup:

Amazing build! That's a whole lot of guns...I love all the little details you put in certain places, intentional or not. Those microscale ships look great too! (You should register the Alpha Class ship, if you have a name, as some mentioned before...)

Do those sensor pick up any movement and instantly shoot scan the target object?

~Beltar

Thanks Beltar! :laugh: Well, I would say basically all the details in my builds are intentional... I'm absurdly OCDy that way. I can spend 30-60 min on a detail (i.e. in this case a vehicle, spaceship) and then decide that it "didn't cut it" and remove it/start over altogether (or do similarly for details which you won't even be able to see in the finished build). :tongue: (Also, when I build IRL, I have a tendency to arrenge all pieces so that the Lego logo points the same way, plus I'll arrange clip-marks so they can't be seen on all pieces when it's possible (and for tiles, I arrange the "clip-reflections" in "nice-looking" patterns). Takes a lot of time, and you won't even notice in the finished build... no idea why I'm doing it. :wacko:)

The guns sensors automatically lock on to targets, then you'd have to issue the command for opening initial fire scanning. :classic:

What's this registration part of the ship btw?

Stunning render's, which program did you use, I am looking at a few programs.

Brick on!

Jody

Thanks! I'm using LDD to POV-Ray together with POV-Ray. Works nicely, and fairly fast, but you have to remember to switch radiosity from "custom" to "normal"! :wink:

I love the scale and ambition of this build! The Kawashita colours work great in the snow! :thumbup:

Holy crap! Your build is incredible! I love the scale and magnitude of it!

This is a beautiful microbuild! Also heavily armed! :look: I'll just go back to my quadrant, before I get blasted out of the sky.