Sign in to follow this  
Mark of Falworth

[M - A05] The Dangers of Yallorn II...

Activity- Exploration.

Location- A05 Yallorn II

Previously, Mark of Orion had helped in the occupation of Barnius and was disgruntled with his task of constructing a "very complex" sensor array...

After complaining explaining to his superior officer, Second Branch Executive Ninja Nin, that he was more interested in exploring than assembling equipment, Mark was given a different mission on MANTIS' next target, Yallorn II.

Mark was very pleased with the change of position, now he was free to wander around and explore an entirely new planet!

Yallorn II was a particularly interesting place. Mark had decided to explore the southern sector along the coast. To his surprise, the normal earth tones of the soil gave way to mud of a deep blue color with small plateaus of clay on which vegetation abounded. Mark deduced that the tide was out, and the foliage in this vicinity was not capable of growing below the waterline.

18524266909_2c9cf775af_n.jpg

Mark's peaceful walk was interrupted by by his radio ringtone...

"Mark here, what's up?"

"Hey Mark, this is John."

"Hey John! How's the view in your sector?"

"Pretty good, But that's not why I'm calling..."

18518282718_46cfddc095_m.jpg

"Oh?"

"Yeah, my scanner says my area is clear, but that there is some unidentified lifeform activity near you. See anything?"

Mark took a quick look around.

"I don't see anything near, maybe there's something underground... I can see there being clams or something in this mud?"

"Heh, probably nothing serious, just thought I'd call and check."

"All right, much appreciated, John!"

"Okay, see ya later!"

"Later! Bye!" (Click)

18518404260_142472e9a6_m.jpg

After hanging up with his co-worker, Mark reflected on the dangers of being too absorbed in the scenery.

"Hmm, I should check my scanner more often, something big and ugly could creep up on me without me even knowing!"

18708506981_3b60e017f3_n.jpg

"The planet description did say "moderate alien activity" and..."

18700356872_5f41c79411_c.jpg

The Ghastly Galloping Garctaloid of Yallorn II ! by Mark E., on Flickr

Suddenly, Mark looked over his shoulder and realized that a huge alien had snuck up behind him!!

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!"

The ferocious alien bellowed and screeched as it galloped towards Mark!

"GROGGLAAK!! SKREEEHHKK!! GROGGHLAAKK!!"

Mark wasn't about to let himself get gobbled up! He quickly raised his MANTIS death ray blaster and fired into the belly of the beast!

18706196375_8966480aab_n.jpg

The enormous creature screeched out ten times louder than before! But the MANTIS death ray blaster is quite effective on most fleshly beings...

The monster collapsed into a pile of squirming dismembered tentacles as it's gnashing mouth slowly stopped chomping in rage.

Mark, in a rush of adrenaline and exuberance, dashed towards the dying creature and grabbed one of the limb-like tentacles.

18085537153_082d28bc4a_n.jpg

"What a monstrous brute! You could've been so useful to MANTIS! To bad there's no stun setting on my death ray blaster..."

18083381924_db487720d5_n.jpg

Mark, still clutching the limb, turned and continued on his exploration.

"But all is not lost! I'm sure Big Sal or one of our other scientists will be able to concoct something absolutely terrifying with your DNA sample!"

Yes, Mark was beginning to enjoy this exciting job!

To Be Continued!

:laugh: Hilarious story and superb build! :wub: The different shades of blue give a neat effect and I love the vegetation :thumbup:

Damn! You beat me to using blue as soil colour! :mad:

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous build! Can't say that enough! The foliage is delightful, the alien is viscious! The scene is just superb!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I don't know if you are a Calvin and Hobbes reader, but that is totally the vibe this gives off. Great build and even better story!

I don't know if you are a Calvin and Hobbes reader, but that is totally the vibe this gives off. Great build and even better story!

I totally agree with you there! Very Spaceman Spiff! :wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Yes, Mark is now in his element XD

Great story, and that build is just so cool! The blue really stands out, and that monster is all kinds of ugly-awesome-ness.

Ha, ha, excellent build Mark! The colors work very well here and that alien monster is very... nice? Well, you know what I mean! :laugh: I really like the blast coming out of the death gun as well! :thumbup:

That blue soil! Love the monster and the story! :classic:

Thanks a bunch all! :wink:

Yes, I read C & H extensively! And I'm sure the influence leaks out in my space scenes! :laugh:

awesome build :) great story, great alien with a great name :) also perfect photograpy!

The blue soil is superb, and as others have said the little soil change right near the growth is perfect. The plants are extremely nice - a good example of how green plants can still look alien depending on the context, and here the blue soil and the light green plants make the regular ol' fashion green plants look weird as well. And the monster, of course, is both dangerous and hilarious looking. The torso/neck part looks a little weird to me, especially how it connects to the tentacles, but that's my only note. Fantastic and fun scene.

Beautiful blue terrain! And I love your story, the alien, and the burst from the death ray blaster! Well done!

That is one ghastly looking critter! The blue landscape works way better than I would have thought with the green trees :thumbup:

I think the key is the lime green for the plants. Probably wouldn't have looked right with regular green.

Awesome build Mark! :wub: I spot brilliant new details in the landscape every time I look at it, and the creature is terrifying!