Logan McOwen

Star Wars Constraction 2016 Discussion

Kylo and Phasma are a given, I think, but I don't think the other human characters will translate very well into constraction.

Edited by Lockon Stratos

Rey with her head gear, Finn will be just like Luke and look funny. Phasma and the storm trooper use the same mold so that saves Lego money. It'll be interesting to see Poe.

Kylo and Phasma are a given, I think, but I don't think the other human characters will translate very well into constraction.

Kylo is a given, sure, but I'd be less categorical about Phasma : she'd be just a silver variant of the Stormtrooper. They could give her a special torso build, though, like Vader, but given the prices given by Amazon, I kinda doubt it.

As for the good guys, I could see Poe and Chewbacca being made. And Finn, because of (warning, potential spoliers) this.

That way Lego could reuse the lightsaber pieces, and it looks like he'll fight Kylo Ren, who has also been seen in a snowy forest in the first trailer

I don't know, Phasma would have at least a little difference to her build because of her gender. She wouldn't be just a recolor of stormtroopper.

And the point that most stands in her favor is that there aren't really that many characters suitable as the third villain besides her.

Well, Phasma doesn't ooze female shaping. There are some differences, but from a practical standpoint I don't see us getting much beyond the regular armor pieces and torso plate, and flat silver or maybe using a similar effect that Jango uses with a dark gray plate with metallic silver paint on it (His chest plate) to give it that extra flare.

Well, Phasma doesn't ooze female shaping. There are some differences, but from a practical standpoint I don't see us getting much beyond the regular armor pieces and torso plate, and flat silver or maybe using a similar effect that Jango uses with a dark gray plate with metallic silver paint on it (His chest plate) to give it that extra flare.

My impression is that Phasma uses the same Stormtrooper armour except with a cape and platinum colours.

I mostly want Phasma because HOLY WOW SHE IS SO DARN COOL

I mean, logically, I'd like a set that'd give me new part colors but SILVER ARMOR AND SWEET CAPE AND AND WOW

(Although I guess it could be the new armor bits in gunmetal like her minifig??)

I mostly want Phasma because HOLY WOW SHE IS SO DARN COOL

I mean, logically, I'd like a set that'd give me new part colors but SILVER ARMOR AND SWEET CAPE AND AND WOW

(Although I guess it could be the new armor bits in gunmetal like her minifig??)

The minifigure is Silver Metallic (Flat Silver), not gunmetal (Titanium Metallic/Pearl Dark Grey). That would make a Captain Phasma figure even simpler, since a lot of the parts will already be available in Silver Metallic from Jango. The only question is whether they'd have two figures as visually similar as the First Order Stormtrooper and Captain Phasma together within a single wave. But seeing how prominently Phasma is featured in other lines of The Force Awakens merchandise, I actually wouldn't be surprised for her to be in the first wave of The Force Awakens buildable figures, even with the First Order Stormtrooper already confirmed.

The minifigure is Silver Metallic (Flat Silver), not gunmetal (Titanium Metallic/Pearl Dark Grey). That would make a Captain Phasma figure even simpler, since a lot of the parts will already be available in Silver Metallic from Jango. The only question is whether they'd have two figures as visually similar as the First Order Stormtrooper and Captain Phasma together within a single wave. But seeing how prominently Phasma is featured in other lines of The Force Awakens merchandise, I actually wouldn't be surprised for her to be in the first wave of The Force Awakens buildable figures, even with the First Order Stormtrooper already confirmed.

Oh, okay! I've only seen photos/videos of her minifig, she tends to look pretty dark in those! Thanks for the clarification!

I personally don't think they'll put2 storm troopers in the same wave.

What I'd like to see/think we'll see in the next waves

Wave 2 The Force Awakens:

-First Order Stormtrooper

-Kylo Ren

-Chewbacca (would be in the highest price point as he'd need custom armor plates textured for his fur and possibly thicker legs)

I don't know enough about the movie to comment further on this wave

Wave 3 and beyond - The Clone Wars

-Mace Windu (retool of obi wan)

-Yoda

-Count Dooku

-Darth Sidious (must have cloth tunic/robes)

-512th legion? Clone Trooper (to go with commander Cody)

-Darth Maul (based on The Phantom Menace,using clone wars head if needed)

-Super Battle Droid

-Kit Fitso

-Anikin Skywalker

Original Trilogy

-Han Solo

-Royal Guard

-Imperial Trooper

-Boba Fett (retool of jango)

I personally don't think they'll put2 storm troopers in the same wave.

What I'd like to see/think we'll see in the next waves

Wave 2 The Force Awakens:

-First Order Stormtrooper

-Kylo Ren

-Chewbacca (would be in the highest price point as he'd need custom armor plates textured for his fur and possibly thicker legs)

I don't know enough about the movie to comment further on this wave

Wave 3 and beyond - The Clone Wars

-Mace Windu (retool of obi wan)

-Yoda

-Count Dooku

-Darth Sidious (must have cloth tunic/robes)

-512th legion? Clone Trooper (to go with commander Cody)

-Darth Maul (based on The Phantom Menace,using clone wars head if needed)

-Super Battle Droid

-Kit Fitso

-Anikin Skywalker

Original Trilogy

-Han Solo

-Royal Guard

-Imperial Trooper

-Boba Fett (retool of jango)

No mention of C-3PO? I'd think he'd be a shoe-in for the next wave—unlike some returning characters like Chewbacca, he has an updated design for The Force Awakens, and he'd be well-suited to the lowest price point. I'd love to see him in part because he could offer some of the new parts from the first wave of sets in Warm Gold, in addition to long-overdue parts like the standard CCBS hand.

If C-3PO happened, we'd have another case of Luke Syndrome. Being that, only one gold hand. Granted, to get it at all would be lovely-I just wish it'd appear as a pair.

If they do make C-3PO, I can see the shin shell being reused in Ekimu the Mask Maker. That would match Playtest Anon's descriptions, though those don't seem to be fit with the list we got at this point, except the Ekimu set itself.

C-3PO would be well suited to CCBS, wouldn't he? Then again, so would most droids. Also, considering the EU's pretty much non-canon and with TFA coming out december, I can't see them doing any (more?) clone wars CCBS sets. They'd be better off focusing on the more iconic characters/troopers instead of sets from a discontinued cash-grab. All of the Sith in the movies being sets is practically guaranteed, as are the protagonists and antagonists of TFA. They'll probably focus on TFA for a while, I don't see any non-TFA SW CCBS coming until 2017, and according to some rumours episode VIII is supposed to be coming out late in that year. So, it would seem that for non-sequel trilogy CCBS sets, they gotta make ones that count because LEGO'll have few opportunities to do them until the sequel trilogy is finished.

Though, if SW CCBS proves successful, they could increase the wave size. That'll likely mean no more BIONICLE though, since at that point from the sounds of it BIONICLE will be the oldest (and thus stalest) CCBS line if that were to happen. And, going by media, SW CCBS is far more popular than BIONICLE could ever hope to be at this point, which will inevitably lead to SW CCBS cannibalising BIONICLE's sales. Then you introduce a third CCBS line into the equation next year, and it's really not looking good for BIONICLE.

Also, considering the EU's pretty much non-canon and with TFA coming out december, I can't see them doing any (more?) clone wars CCBS sets. They'd be better off focusing on the more iconic characters/troopers instead of sets from a discontinued cash-grab.

The Clone Wars movie and TV series are not considered Expanded Universe and are still canon. Same goes for the more recent Rebels TV series.

Though, if SW CCBS proves successful, they could increase the wave size. That'll likely mean no more BIONICLE though, since at that point from the sounds of it BIONICLE will be the oldest (and thus stalest) CCBS line if that were to happen. And, going by media, SW CCBS is far more popular than BIONICLE could ever hope to be at this point, which will inevitably lead to SW CCBS cannibalising BIONICLE's sales. Then you introduce a third CCBS line into the equation next year, and it's really not looking good for BIONICLE.

I don't know how likely it is for the size of the Star Wars constraction waves to get bigger, but even if they do, there's no reason to assume that they'd be cannibalizing demand for Bionicle sets instead of generating new demand for constraction in general. Also, there has been no indication of a third CCBS theme next year. That's something some people have assumed based on "Ultimate" versions of the Nexo Knights characters being available as individual sets. However, those are 10-Euro sets, same size as a Protector and considerably smaller than any of the Chima, Super Heroes, or Star Wars constraction sets. So it's somewhat doubtful that those will use CCBS at all. They might instead be brick-built models similar to the LEGO Legends of Chima Legend Beasts, or gimmick-based sets like the Ninjago Airjitzu flyers.

Edited by Aanchir

C-3PO would be well suited to CCBS, wouldn't he? Then again, so would most droids. Also, considering the EU's pretty much non-canon and with TFA coming out december, I can't see them doing any (more?) clone wars CCBS sets. They'd be better off focusing on the more iconic characters/troopers instead of sets from a discontinued cash-grab. All of the Sith in the movies being sets is practically guaranteed, as are the protagonists and antagonists of TFA. They'll probably focus on TFA for a while, I don't see any non-TFA SW CCBS coming until 2017, and according to some rumours episode VIII is supposed to be coming out late in that year. So, it would seem that for non-sequel trilogy CCBS sets, they gotta make ones that count because LEGO'll have few opportunities to do them until the sequel trilogy is finished.

I don't even think an increased wave size for Star Wars is that likely, popular or not—they're going to want to avoid burning through the stable of popular and recognizable characters too quickly, and with the size of the Star Wars figures I can't picture waves of much more than six would make much of a difference. Regarding the popularity of Star Wars taking a bite out of Bionicle, is there even anything to suggest that the two themes are in competition with one another besides doomsaying fans? I would assume the budget for the Star Wars figures is sourced from the same budget as the System Star Wars sets (rather than cutting into the budget for the Bionicle theme), and in terms of customers I would half expect the popularity of the Star Wars figures to increase demand for Bionicle (as new fans get exposed to Constraction building for the first time and wish to expand into other Constraction sets).

Also, why do you assume there will be a third CCBS line introduced next year? We haven't heard anything to suggest that so far.

Chances are that they'll do alternative waves eg wave 2 is epiVII,wave 3 clone wars,wave 4 epiVII etc.it all depends on how many waves per year we'll be getting,also for all we know,each wave could be mixed between stuff (as the 1st was) and the lord of the rings sets were

C3PO would be a good fit in the line as well,I didn't mean to leave him out as I assume he would be made anyway,my list was more the characters I would like to see asap.

Most droids would probably fit in perfectly fine except for R2 units,also I feel the standard battle droids wouldn't work unless they were custom built like Darth Vader's torso as if you put armor plates on a skeletal frame then they're too big and bulky for battle droids but if it's just a frame (which I feel it would have to be) then you'd be getting ripped off unless you got a couple of them per box

The problem with 3PO and R2 is that they can't really fight. I guess they could be paired with each other, but the focus on these sets is fighting, not displaying... I hope we get them though, especially R2. I wanna see a CCBS build for him that can pull off his look.

The Clone Wars movie and TV series are not considered Expanded Universe and are still canon. Same goes for the more recent Rebels TV series.

I don't know how likely it is for the size of the Star Wars constraction waves to get bigger, but even if they do, there's no reason to assume that they'd be cannibalizing demand for Bionicle sets instead of generating new demand for constraction in general. Also, there has been no indication of a third CCBS theme next year. That's something some people have assumed based on "Ultimate" versions of the Nexo Knights characters being available as individual sets. However, those are 10-Euro sets, same size as a Protector and considerably smaller than any of the Chima, Super Heroes, or Star Wars constraction sets. So it's somewhat doubtful that those will use CCBS at all. They might instead be brick-built models similar to the LEGO Legends of Chima Legend Beasts, or gimmick-based sets like the Ninjago Airjitzu flyers.

The Clone Wars aren't part of the six (nine) SW movies and were part of the EU before Disney took SW over. Ergo, it's not canon because Disney declared the entire EU non-canon.

Also, it may not be right away - it may be in the summer, as with Chima.

Also, why do you assume there will be a third CCBS line introduced next year? We haven't heard anything to suggest that so far.

Mostly because Chima's ending.

Chances are that they'll do alternative waves eg wave 2 is epiVII,wave 3 clone wars,wave 4 epiVII etc.it all depends on how many waves per year we'll be getting,also for all we know,each wave could be mixed between stuff (as the 1st was) and the lord of the rings sets were

Alternative waves makes sense, but I don't see them doing CW for the reason it's non-canon. I think it'll be more like 'Wave 1: first 6 films, Wave 2: TFA, Wave 3 Second TFA wave, Wave 4: prequel trilogy, Wave 5: original trilogy, Wave 6: VIII, continue on in the same pattern.

The Clone Wars aren't part of the six (nine) SW movies and were part of the EU before Disney took SW over. Ergo, it's not canon because Disney declared the entire EU non-canon.

According to this official article — the very article that declared most of the EU non-canon — Star Wars: The Clone Wars is still canon:

"While Lucasfilm always strived to keep the stories created for the EU consistent with our film and television content as well as internally consistent, Lucas always made it clear that he was not beholden to the EU. He set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align."

I don't see why you're trying to argue with me on this. I won't pretend to be a die-hard Star Wars fan, but I wouldn't have posted about that if I hadn't done enough research to be sure I wasn't just making wild assertions. In this case, the research was a simple as a Google search for "Is Star Wars: The Clone Wars still canon?" and a bit of poking around in Wookiepedia's sources to make sure the facts backed them up.

Aanchir's article pretty much nailed it. To add another point, even before the Disney takeover, The Clone Wars was not EU per se. It was T-Canon, which occupies a higher level of canonicity than the rest of the EU, which was C-canon. That's why they could mess and contradict the EU as they wished.

There are numerous examples of them doing it, such as the depiction of the Mandalorians, the pushing forward of Anakin's knighthood, and the deaths of certain characters. The Clone Wars had the authority to do so because it was effectively George's vision, and as such is more canon than anything except the movies.

In the new Disney Canon, there are no levels of canonicity and most things Disney are canon. As Aanchir has pointed out, The Clone Wars is considered canon and is official material that Disney can use.

Edited by TFGuy89

What if the new armour piece coming in 2016, the one that looks like Strakk's armour, is going to be used for a CCBS Chew set? I guess it could be mimicking fur quiet well.

What if the new armour piece coming in 2016, the one that looks like Strakk's armour, is going to be used for a CCBS Chew set? I guess it could be mimicking fur quiet well.

Heck, if they want to emulate his TFA look, they could dual mold it in Dark Tan as well. I'm not sure how well it will fit ion though considering that it supposedly has pistons on the base.