Logan McOwen

Star Wars Constraction 2016 Discussion

Is it just me or are Finn's lightsaber handle parts a lot shinier than the silver ones on the 2015 figures?

It's indeed shinnier than the previous lighsabers (Rey also has light saber connectors, but in darker tones)

EDIT: could it be that his feet are dark bley instead? If so.. meh.

If I remember correctly, they are a bit chromier than Dark Bluish Gray, but I'll confirm it when I get home.

The gimmick for arm movement is rather dull... especially with the swords...

It seems as though the only natural movement is mast****tion...

It might be a nice trick for fighting with the action figures but on display, they seem to hava a water tap on their backs.

Two of the five Skeletons in BIONICLE don't get large Beast feet in silver and end up with black feet that have nothing to do with their colour schemes, but two silver Star Wars pieces get recoloured in...colours that are really close to silver. Lego's golden boy, everyone.

I admit those lightsaber pieces are pretty cool. But there was no reason at all for those dark bley feet, especially since his shoes are silver to begin with.

Thanks for the info. Are Rey's lightsaber pieces gunmetal?

Edited by Shakar

Don't click if you haven't seen the movie

I wonder if anyone will give Rey a blue lightsaber now after the fact that she used it to defeat Kylo Ren

I'm surprised nobody has pointed this out on this thread yet, but the second wave of Star Wars constraction sets are (widely) available in the UK thanks to Argos! They have all 6 available for delivery or purchase instore.

Sadly, it would appear that LEGO didn't learn from UK Luke - Finn, Poe, Kylo and Phasma are ALL £19.99, with Rey and the FO Stormie being a more reasonable £14.99. Nonetheless, I still couldn't resist picking up Kylo Ren with his interesting selection of parts. What's most interesting to me is the Technic panel with balljoint that's used for both his neck and for back armour, as well as the shoulder armour in black which will be very useful to me. He's a nice figure, though somehow he feels slightly flat despite being covered in armour pieces front and back, and the lightsaber cross piece is irritating me slightly - I feel like another lightsaber piece should have gone between the cross piece and his hand, because at the moment it's difficult to pose his geared arm because the 3M bar on his lightsaber keeps colliding with his wrist. Otherwise, he's a nice figure, and I'd recommend him. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for pics of the set :wink:

Are Rey's lightsaber pieces gunmetal?

I don't own Rey (yet), but from looking at her, I would be inclined to say that they are indeed gunmetal. Kylo Ren definitely has one lightsaber piece in gunmetal, I can tell you that :wink:

Sadly, it would appear that LEGO didn't learn from UK Luke - Finn, Poe, Kylo and Phasma are ALL £19.99, with Rey and the FO Stormie being a more reasonable £14.99.

I don't think this princing is specific to the UK : in France (and probably in other European countries), the Stormtrooper and Rey are both 19,99€, and the four other ones are 24,99€.

Are Rey's lightsaber pieces gunmetal?

They are indeed Titanium Metallic, and Rey look pretty good as a figure, even if I felt like removing the friction add-on pièces on the legs for her to look better in terms of proportions and look. My only real grip is the fact that the new neck/back armor piece is pretty limiting in terms of neck articulation if the neck connector is built like an armor, which is the case on Star Wars Battle Figure heads.

Edited by _shaddow_

I don't think this princing is specific to the UK : in France (and probably in other European countries), the Stormtrooper and Rey are both 19,99€, and the four other ones are 24,99€.

Yep, same in the U.S. Rey and the First Order Stormtrooper are $19.99, the other four are $24.99.

In Phasma's case, it's hard to tell if the price is justified. She's got close to the same piece count as the First Order Stormtrooper (82 pieces instead of 81), just with a cape and longer and thicker shins instead of a pistol. However, her cape is unique to her and is printed. Finn, on the other hand, has 98 pieces, including both a gearbox AND a working shooter, something no other character has. Poe has 102 pieces. Kylo has just 86 pieces, but that includes at least two textile elements.

Having seen the movie now, Finn and Rey are still easily the most desirable Episode 7 buildable figures in my book. I already liked them best in terms of both looks and pieces, but now I also find them some of the most interesting and relatable characters. Poe is also a really good parts pack (orange being as rare a CCBS color as it is), and has what looks like the most interesting build of any of the characters who don't have gearboxes. He was a fun character in the movie although he didn't speak to me as much as Finn or Rey.

I'm still pretty indifferent to Phasma, the First Order Stormtrooper, and Kylo Ren. Their heads are extremely specific to Star Wars, limiting their usefulness, and they have rather bland monochrome color schemes and repetitive armor. They have a lot of useful parts in nice neutral colors, but since my brother and I already got Jango and Obi-Wan, a number of them are parts we already have (or can easily get from other sets). They are maybe the most authentic-looking characters in the entire buildable figures lineup due to how well the building system suits their armor, and Kylo's got some nice textile elements, but they don't have a whole lot else going for them in my book.

Thanks for the info! We've never had axle connectors in gunmetal before and lightsaber handles have a similar function, so this is pretty cool.

Well I went to Tesco (UK supermarket) today, and visited the toy aisle. Not a TFA figure in sight.

That is until I left the toy aisle, and found a display stand with all the TFA sets - including all of the figures! I decided to pick up Rey as a taster, and I must say I am quite satisfied.

23242238863_4be1d24a19_c.jpg

23843012616_a94b0342e7_c.jpg

She looks great. The fabric wrap really accentuates the figure, and her weaponry looks splendid too. She's a little gappy around the sides, but that can't really be helped.

23242285183_cb92573d6e_c.jpg

23240921374_eddd732634_c.jpg

The torso build is ingenious, and feels really solid. It's also surprisingly slender, which is a nice change.

23240904464_4d1af0bbdb_c.jpg

23240916904_645d771df4_c.jpg

The new gearbox cover is a lot slimmer than I imagined it to be, but that doesn't make it any less snazzy. It's made of the same, hard plastic as standard CCBS shells and bones, which I was afraid wouldn't be the case.

23842991906_81cc910780_c.jpg

Speaking of bones, here's the new torso bone! As you can see, it has a similar philosophy in regards to shoulders to that of the new Toa, just without a neck joint.

23869082055_2d87f63ed4_c.jpg

23869107315_fc2bb81f09_c.jpg

The head mold is pretty nice. I feared that it'd look quite dollish, but honestly it's fine. Rey has a nice, neutral facial expression, and her headgear looks good. She does have some pretty major bags under her eyes, though.

23242255493_4176842c78_c.jpg

This is an interesting little doogad! Rey includes two of them. I hope we see more in future.

23501140149_85838e50ae_c.jpg

Another great new Technic piece, which Rey includes two of. In case you can't tell, this is a 3M axle with a stopper, as opposed to the 4M and 5M lengths we've had before.

Edited by Logan McOwen

Thanks Logan, that first picture makes the set look so much better than the official ones... Hooray for neutral posing!

I'm pretty neutral with the torso bone, ain't bad but would have liked it more if the top part was 3 studs wide instead of five, which is quite limiting. The neck shell looks good, though the little fin at the back of the ball joint might limit the movement if used, for example, as a shoulder joint.

Is the doogad piece, Axle with pin hole, reddish brown or dark brown (in bricklink colors)?

That head is so not LEGO.....

It's like Sci-Fi Scala

Edited by Robert8

@Pate-keetongu Looks reddish brown to me.

Thanks for the pictures! Rey looks quite good indeed. The news of Phasma being 25 Euro is making me reconsider getting her and get Rey herself instead. Rey lacks the new gun, cape and silver armour but she has the new torso bone and gearbox cover, along a bunch of tan parts and some dark brown and dark tan ones, which are rarer. And that robe!

I love the new torso bone. How tall is it? It's smaller than I thought (7M I believe), which increases its versatility. Looks like it'd be ideal for Titan builds- maybe we'll see it again in the Summer Bionicle sets?

The gearbox cover looks like a pretty cool new piece too (good thing it comes in black thanks to Kylo).

I think the O-- piece is the same one used for Ikir's talons.

That head is so not LEGO.....

Too bad it is. : )

Thanks for that mini-review, Logan! It deserves its own thread, IMO. :tongue:

I'm loving that diversity in torso build, and the cloth piece looks great. Unfortunately, I still can't shake off that uncanny vibe I get from human characters. I'll see if it grows on me!

Also, Brickset has a review of Kylo Ren up: (http://brickset.com/article/18278/(spoiler-free)-review-75117-kylo-ren) (Coincidentally, quite possibly the first review by CapnRex101 that doesn't have "in my opinion" in the text :tongue: ) The helmet is excellent as expected, and I love how the gear piece isn't obtrusive at all.

Here's a hint towards a summer contraction build:

One of his main colors is sand green.

...you posted this on Star Wars topic.

Well, I guess it at least confirms that.

I don't recall any sandgreen characters with the new film... or maybe one but it's just... no.

Could be Youda but Boba Fett seems the most likely.

Even master Yoda doesn't have a midi chlorian count that high!

Edited by santaends

Boba Fett confirmed!

I'm just gonna get the First Order sets. The human faces are too Uncanny Valley for my liking.

Same here. The Resistance figures have very nice torso builds and a ton of more interesting/recoloured/nice pieces, but I just don't like their faces. As a non-MOCist I'll stick to the FO sets.

After seeing the movie a few times, I am all about those Rey and Finn sets. It's unfortunate because now I'm going to need an extra one of each just to display. What great characters.

Sand green? I think it will be either Yoda or Boba Fett like the others. Jabba is also possible, but too unlikely to actually happen I think.

Sand green? I think it will be either Yoda or Boba Fett like the others. Jabba is also possible, but too unlikely to actually happen I think.

Jabba is olive green.. the colour of Parisian Restaurant.