Logan McOwen

Star Wars Constraction 2016 Discussion

A Droideka would certainly be inpressive. In fact nearly every droid would be great. However a BB-8 would really blow my socks off.

I don't believe it's possible to make a functioning one, unless it could only move back and forth. It would still be really tricky to balance it.

I've been looking at how the sets are built.

It seems that Rey and Finn (and Kylo Ren) have gearboxes, but there are no unused ball joints on their torsos. And Finn's head is attached to a dark bley (like the gearboxes) neck ball joint, which might or not be part of the gearbox itself.

The hips on both seem black, which means that, even if you remove the gearbox section, they do not have a single piece torso.

Is there some new CCBS gem hidden under those torso shells, or are the new Uniter body parts more versatile than we thought?

I've been looking at how the sets are built.

It seems that Rey and Finn (and Kylo Ren) have gearboxes, but there are no unused ball joints on their torsos. And Finn's head is attached to a dark bley (like the gearboxes) neck ball joint, which might or not be part of the gearbox itself.

The hips on both seem black, which means that, even if you remove the gearbox section, they do not have a single piece torso.

Is there some new CCBS gem hidden under those torso shells, or are the new Uniter body parts more versatile than we thought?

Been thinking the latter since club magazine. The hip piece gives the same shape with the toa.

That would mean their hip piece has been recoloured in black from the silver one the Uniters have. Guess silver looked too robotic.

That would mean their hip piece has been recoloured in black from the silver one the Uniters have. Guess silver looked too robotic.

In the latest crisp HD pictures Pohatu has a black hip-piece; but that might be the lightning in his picture though.

-Iben

They all look excellent to me! LEGO is getting better and better with these head sculpts. I knew they'd look a lot better than they did in the awkwardly posed and lit Club Magazine render.

The Stormtrooper and Captain Phasma both feel a bit generic in terms of color scheme and build, as does Kylo Ren, but they still look good and feel very authentic. Finn's coattails (?) feel a bit awkward, and he and Poe both have somewhat knobbly knees, but they look great otherwise, with very exciting color schemes. Poe's pilot harness is also an excellent build.

Rey is probably my favorite of these designs. Her build and costume feel fresh and unique, instead of feeling like a rehash. Her physique is more petite than the others without being exaggerated, and her knees are less knobbly than Finn and Poe's since the thigh shells are pointed down. Her textile elements add a lot of personality. It's great that the first two female characters in this range have been handled so well. I will probably end up getting her for parts. She'd have been more useful to me if she didn't have headgear, though.

Edited by Aanchir

Finn looks a ton better here than in the Club Magazine picture. In that one he was very awkwardly posed and here he looks like a very good adaptation. A better-looking figure than Luke, in my opinion.

Well, I just had a good look at all of these via Brickset. Most of them look pretty good so far, and according to their Brickset listings, most of these are $19.99 (that should translate to £14.99 in the UK) sets. 2 of them are $24.99 (will likely translate to £19.99), one of them being Kylo Ren (fair enough, he does have 2 capes!). The other is... FINN. I guess that's main character tax for you :sadnew:

But, I do like the concealment of the gears on Finn's back, as shown in this picture. Is that a new Technic panel I wonder? And he is the first set to sport a printed SW shoulder armour piece.

The main thing bugging me though is that I wish Rey, Finn and Poe used the SW leg armour that Kylo, Phasma and the Stormies use. A normal shell doesn't really look right on the lower legs. It would have only needed to have been recoloured for Poe too... :wacko:

At least this wave appears to be much cheaper than the last wave overall, and hopefully the $19.99 sets are £14.99 and the $24.99 sets are £19.99. Please LEGO, don't do a Luke markup on the UK again! :tongue:

Well, I just had a good look at all of these via Brickset. Most of them look pretty good so far, and according to their Brickset listings, most of these are $19.99 (that should translate to £14.99 in the UK) sets. 2 of them are $24.99 (will likely translate to £19.99), one of them being Kylo Ren (fair enough, he does have 2 capes!). The other is... FINN. I guess that's main character tax for you :sadnew:

Funny enough, Finn and Kylo are the ones I want least, so I won't complain about them being the most expensive. :tongue:

Rey is a dream come true when it comes to pieces, expanding upon Grievous's introduction of tan parts. Poe has some nice orange parts too. None of the other parts are super interesting but I still quite like them. And honestly, they all look good this time; none of the human faces put me off at all.

Ooh shoot, official pics!

Not too shabby, but not at the top of my want list. Human heads are still a little weird to me, but they don't look terrible. Poe's is pretty great with all the colors and clear visor. Pretty sweet.

And oh my gosh yes! I'm all over the new back armor. Glorious. I really hope we see more of that. Back and shoulder covering with an opening for the gear function? Brilliant.

And all those recolors. Wish I was more of a MoCist, because I'd buy these sets just for parts.

I still think most of these headsculpts are squarely in uncanny valley territory, and images which are intended to be bullshots don't necessarily inspire too much confidence in me.

However, the builds look really fun. I'll definitely try and pick up Kylo Ren at least.

I still think most of these headsculpts are squarely in uncanny valley territory, and images which are intended to be bullshots don't necessarily inspire too much confidence in me.

However, the builds look really fun. I'll definitely try and pick up Kylo Ren at least.

Rey doesn't look so bad, to be honest - I think the headscarf helps. But yeah, the armoured characters fit the CCBS a lot better. Definitely getting Kylo and Phasma.

any one know that finn's gear does

Swings his lightsaber arm. I believe Rey and Kylo Ren also both have gear functions for the same purpose.

any one know that finn's gear does

If you rotate it his arm swings up and down. It is the same function featured in this year's Bionicle sets and most likely only swings his right (lightsaber) arm.

Rey is a positive surprise for me, the head sculpt looks really nice and, as Aanchir expressed his concerns, I'm also glad a female human head made it to the shelves. I think it's a nice compromise between having her a fully hooded head with hear shades and a head without any accessories. Finn's head is also better than on the shot from the Lego Magazine, but it is still lackluster. Anyway, they are both excellent part packs. Kylo Ren is a must have for the majority of the target audience - too bad his color scheme is the least exciting of the wave. And Phasma is great, so is Poe, enough said.

Edited by wghost

Does anyone have an idea what kind of brown was used on Rey left-arm and foot-pieces ? Earth-orange like the original Pohatu or Dark Brown ?

-Iben

Pohatu Mata/Nuva? That brown has been discontinued a while ago. I'm pretty sure it's Dark Brown.

What about Finn? I hope that's Pohatu Okoto's Dark Orange, even if it's not true to his minifig. I don't think anyone's interested in Dark Flesh hands since we don't have any shells in that colour.

And there are lots of pics up un Lego's cache. Seems like the figures with gearbox have some sort of pin neck connection instead of a classic ball joint. How odd..

The sets are pretty much of no interest to me, but I do welcome the new recolours (first new orange shell since 2012!) and robes, and I might get Phasma on clearance for all that silver armour and that sweet cape.

Pohatu Mata/Nuva? That brown has been discontinued a while ago. I'm pretty sure it's Dark Brown.

What about Finn? I hope that's Pohatu Okoto's Dark Orange, even if it's not true to his minifig. I don't think anyone's interested in Dark Flesh hands since we don't have any shells in that colour.

And there are lots of pics up un Lego's cache. Seems like the figures with gearbox have some sort of pin neck connection instead of a classic ball joint. How odd..

The sets are pretty much of no interest to me, but I do welcome the new recolours (first new orange shell since 2012!) and robes, and I might get Phasma on clearance for all that silver armour and that sweet cape.

I'm pretty sure Finn's fists are Avak Brown, same with Rey's shells.

I'm pretty sure Finn's fists are Avak Brown, same with Rey's shells.

I'm not so sure... Remember that dark brown would not be a new colour to CCBS since we got a dark brown chest piece in 2014 Chima set Maula's Ice Mammoth Stomper. IMO Finn's fists and Rey's feet and 3M sheel look dark brown.