YellowCorvette

Lego themes that we would like to happen

On 5/9/2020 at 1:31 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Love it! Plus, unlike speed champions, they might be able to get around licensing difficulties by producing historical models from well-known but now defunct railways. For example, a GNR single or a New York Central streamliner.

Very true! Or the LMS Black 5.  That's always been my favorite locomotive of all time. That explains why Henry is my favorite Thomas character. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Outdoors - a spin off of City. This would be where all waves that take place outside the City will be put. That includes arctic, jungle, volcano, space, divers, sheriffs, miners and farm. 

How about a licensed police theme? I have a few shows that it could possibly be based off of? 

• Adam 12 (Yeah....that one may be too old) 
  • Chicago PD
  • COPS
  • Rookie Blue
  • The Rookie

On 5/9/2020 at 11:18 AM, Paradosis said:

Now that Lego have a thing with Nintendo I doubt this would happen, but I'd love it if they did some kind of line with Sony and their game developers. I'd be most interested in something related to Horizon Zero Dawn (preferably more than just "robot dinosaurs"), but other games like Uncharted, The Last of Us, and God of War would also make for some awesome adventure-oriented sets, along with games that would provide a very different feel (and could target a very different demographic) like the Spyro franchise. 

I don't think this is really all that big a concern. Companies partner with two or more of the major three video game hardware producers all the time—doing so is why we can even have "multiplatform" games ported to all the major systems. In fact, Lego already has a longstanding license with a Microsoft-owned developer, that being their partnership with Mojang for the Minecraft theme.

Bigger concerns would be content and brand fit—even now that they're branching out into more adult-focused sets I think Lego is still a long way from licensing a gory, M-rated game like The Last of Us or God of War any time soon. A franchise like Spyro or Crash Bandicoot (that have the same sort of crossover appeal to both kids and nostalgic adults as Mario does) would seem like things Lego would be more likely to take on.

On 7/26/2020 at 9:15 PM, Brandon Pea said:

How about a licensed police theme? I have a few shows that it could possibly be based off of? 

• Adam 12 (Yeah....that one may be too old) 
  • Chicago PD
  • COPS
  • Rookie Blue
  • The Rookie

Hey, If Adam 12 comes with the crossover with EMERGENCY! (with the firehouse and what firetrucks they used + "the squad" 51 truck), I'll buy it. They did do an episode or two crossover-wise in both shows. (I'm not a really big fan, but I know a person or two who are and who probably literally have a heart attack for such a set.) Kinda grows on ya tho....

NOTE: It's just conjecture, but I wonder if anyone could mock up a set for IDEAS. The 50th anniversary is coming up in 2022, afterall, and it did inspire a generation of firemen, and paramedics...

Edited by Murdoch17

7 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Hey, If Adam 12 comes with the crossover with EMERGENCY! (with the firehouse and what firetrucks they used + "the squad" 51 truck), I'll buy it. They did do an episode or two crossover-wise in both shows. (I'm not a really big fan, but I know a person or two who are and who probably literally have a heart attack for such a set.) Kinda grows on ya tho....

Now those would be great sellers. Not just for adults like us, but kids as well. I know someone who works for Lego and she told me that its not just City. But police work is a popular subject to Lego as a whole. So it may be expensive to make some licensed sets based on actual police shows, but I'd consider it worth it and both the short term and long run. 

Now that Lego and Nintendo are working together I think it's high time we get a Legend of Zelda theme.Considering the series history,there's enough material for many waves.Cmon Lego get on with it!!!

Still wonder if LEGO will make anything Blizzard Entertainment related in the future.

Not even certain if Overwatch is coming back, but I'd still love to see Warcraft location/action sets, maybe some sets from before World of Warcraft timeline, to differentiate from Megabloks a bit.

Also could fit in the Steampunk or Pirates genre with some of the lore.

Of course Castle, Dwarves , Dragons, Orcs, Humans, Elves, Trolls would be the core.

Edited by TeriXeri

Fallout? Microsoft has now acquired Bathesda and Lego makes minecraft sets already (another microsoft property). Lego also released Welcome to Apocalypsburg which is a post apocalyptic set that would fit right in. 

I have put over a hundred hours of playtime into the Fallout universe games and I can tell you there is no way in hell its remotely suitable for a LEGO product. Way too violent (its got a shoulder mounted catapult that launches miniature nuclear bombs, that alone makes it way out of scope for what LEGO would consider appropriate) not to mention all the blood, guts and gore that fill the game.

The ESRB gives Fallout 4 an M rating for "blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, use of drugs" (none of which sound appropriate for LEGO)

10 hours ago, jonwil said:

I have put over a hundred hours of playtime into the Fallout universe games and I can tell you there is no way in hell its remotely suitable for a LEGO product. Way too violent (its got a shoulder mounted catapult that launches miniature nuclear bombs, that alone makes it way out of scope for what LEGO would consider appropriate) not to mention all the blood, guts and gore that fill the game.

The ESRB gives Fallout 4 an M rating for "blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, use of drugs" (none of which sound appropriate for LEGO)

While I agree, I hope one of the benefits of LEGO doing 18+ sets in black packaging is that eventually this leads to them doing 18+ material. I think people are becoming used to 18+ "toys" that are not suitable for kids. Funko, for example, do loads of inappropriate-for-kids licenses and people are now used to them.

18 hours ago, Styphelus said:

Fallout? Microsoft has now acquired Bathesda and Lego makes minecraft sets already (another microsoft property). Lego also released Welcome to Apocalypsburg which is a post apocalyptic set that would fit right in. 

10 hours ago, jonwil said:

At least an in-house playtheme with a heavy Atompunk vibe taking after Fallout's own heart would be much appreciated. Maybe something like Alien Conquest 2.0 could be the ticket, except with an even stronger 1950's vibe all around; and such a theme could even evoke Fallout's post-apocalyptic setting, with a conflict between the extraterrestrial invaders and rag-tag survivors of the invasion rather than a Halo-esque military force. :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, MAB said:

While I agree, I hope one of the benefits of LEGO doing 18+ sets in black packaging is that eventually this leads to them doing 18+ material. I think people are becoming used to 18+ "toys" that are not suitable for kids. Funko, for example, do loads of inappropriate-for-kids licenses and people are now used to them.

Even if that were to happen, I doubt LEGO would just jump straight into the deep end of the pool, so to speak. There are quite a few 18+ brands that they would probably be interested in as a potential license before going as far as a series like Fallout.

Plus, if they were to start licensing more "adult" brands, I think they would most likely start with more nostalgic ones that will appeal to several generations of adults — as was the case with The Simpsons, Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, James Bond, etc.

Not only would that sort of nostalgic focus help to maximize the potential buying audience, it could help defuse any controversy resulting from those licensing decisions. Like it or not, the newer something is — whether it's movies, music, games, TV, or something else entirely, the more suspicious older generations tend to be of it, and the more likely it is to elicit panicked "Think of the children!" reactions.

For instance, it's much rarer today to find people as fearful of jazz, rock and roll, and hip-hop as it would've been when those genres were newer and less widespread outside of their respective subcultures. To put it another way: critics of older media are often seen as enemies of culture or tradition, whereas critics of newer media are seen as their defenders. It's a frustrating and often unreasonable double standard, but it's still a reality that LEGO has to reckon with.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:04 PM, jonwil said:

How is that any different than castles, pirates and wild west? Those were themes after real life stuff. They have been doing star wars for 20 years. A death star that destroys an entire planet is much worse than a mini nuke.  The video games are violent but the theme doesn't have today be. If not fallout then why not expand on the welcome to apocalypsburg set? Not sure of you are aware but one of the knockoff brands has been taking city modulatars and turning them into post apocalyptic sets called last of world. Lego is missing out. Anyway I've been making my own fallout inspired theme. Just integrated the tree house into it with some post apocalyptic add ons and perimeter defenses. Most stuff however I just create on own. 

18K-K126-Doomsday-Building-Block-Bank-He

Edited by Styphelus

14 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Even if that were to happen, I doubt LEGO would just jump straight into the deep end of the pool, so to speak. There are quite a few 18+ brands that they would probably be interested in as a potential license before going as far as a series like Fallout.

Plus, if they were to start licensing more "adult" brands, I think they would most likely start with more nostalgic ones that will appeal to several generations of adults — as was the case with The Simpsons, Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, James Bond, etc.

Not only would that sort of nostalgic focus help to maximize the potential buying audience, it could help defuse any controversy resulting from those licensing decisions. Like it or not, the newer something is — whether it's movies, music, games, TV, or something else entirely, the more suspicious older generations tend to be of it, and the more likely it is to elicit panicked "Think of the children!" reactions.

For instance, it's much rarer today to find people as fearful of jazz, rock and roll, and hip-hop as it would've been when those genres were newer and less widespread outside of their respective subcultures. To put it another way: critics of older media are often seen as enemies of culture or tradition, whereas critics of newer media are seen as their defenders. It's a frustrating and often unreasonable double standard, but it's still a reality that LEGO has to reckon with.

I don't think they would jump in either, instead taking a slow and steady approach. Which of course is already happening, with The Simpsons, James Bond (to some extent), Fast and Furious, Stranger Things, The Big Bang Theory, ... They all would have seemed inappropriate a decade ago.

7 hours ago, Styphelus said:

How is that any different than castles, pirates and wild west? Those were themes after real life stuff. They have been doing star wars for 20 years. A death star that destroys an entire planet is much worse than a mini nuke.  The video games are violent but the theme doesn't have today be. If not fallout then why not expand on the welcome to apocalypsburg set? Not sure of you are aware but one of the knockoff brands has been taking city modulatars and turning them into post apocalyptic sets called last of world. Lego is missing out. Anyway I've been making my own fallout inspired theme. Just integrated the tree house into it with some post apocalyptic add ons and perimeter defenses. Most stuff however I just create on own. 

Because LEGO won't do (for the most part) anything that is human vs human violence when it's set too close to our current time period. The closest time period we have (of classic themes) is Wild West, which can be easily romanticized. Same thing with Pirates and Castle. Castle you can throw in dragons and orcs, and other fantasy creatures. Pirates can have sea monsters. Wild West is a bit more difficult, but you can lean into the idea of an outlaw gang robbing banks and riding off into the sunset. But for modern stuff? You can't romanticize WWI or WWII. You can't romanticize Vietnam or the War on Terror. You can't make tongue in cheek references like that. Sure, old Pirates and Wild West had Islanders and Native Americans, but that was a VERY different time period, both historically and in the understanding of history and LEGO. We got Indiana Jones, but anything Nazi related was sanitized heavily. And they only did that theme because of how good a relationship they already had with Lucasfilm and how popular the movies were. We're not going to get a Call of Duty WWII theme because the sanitization just would destroy it.

Regarding Star Wars, having faceless goons like Stormtroopers or robots like battle droids (similar to how Exo-Force used the robots), you can get away with it. And Star Wars is much more science fantasy than real life. Like we could never get full blown theme of The Expanse. It's too real. Star Wars is different. Yes it has a Death Star (or two or three), but the entire idea of Star Wars (movies and shows) is much more whimsical.

And that's where the key, I think is. Is it whimsical? Is it able to be tongue in cheek? Agents had loads of references to Bond, and they could get away with it because it was clearly tongue in cheek. Apocalyspeburg works because it is very tongue in cheek. All of those themes work because you can poke fun at the tropes. You can't poke fun at Fallout, because the game itself takes itself seriously. Same thing with CoD. Star Wars takes itself seriously, but it's much more family friendly.

The adult one off sets work as one offs because they don't have to worry about losing a ton of retail space. And keep in mind a lot of those shows (BBT, Simpsons, etc) have to keep to the US's broadcast standards. So while they may be more adult themed, it's ok for a kid to turn them on and not be shown a ton of vulgar language, violence, or nudity. We could get a one off set of Game of Thrones or Westworld (probably in dioramas), but never a full blown theme, because of the ratings. Also with video games, you're acting out the charactr. You're the one doing it. You're not watching people perform the actions. You're inputting in the keys.

I'd love an apocalpyse theme, but it's not going to be the gritty Mad Max or Fallout.

15 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Return of LOTR sets would be nice...

There is a chance we might get a new one-off 18+ set based on LotR at some point, but I don't think we'll get another fully-fledged wave of sets any time soon. Without a new theatrical released movie, I don't think LEGO would consider the IP viable for an entire wave of sets. 

There is the new upcomming LotR Amazon Prime series, but given the recent rumors that it's going to have nudity, I don't think LEGO would be interested in making sets based off it. 

Edited by Lego David

7 minutes ago, Lego David said:

There is a chance we might get a new one-off 18+ set based on LotR at some point, but I don't think we'll get another fully-fledged wave of sets any time soon. Without a new theatrical released movie, I don't think LEGO would consider the IP viable for an entire wave of sets. 

There is the new upcomming LotR Amazon Prime series, but given the recent rumors that it's going to have nudity, I don't think LEGO would be interested in making sets based off it. 

Perhaps if the Ideas project makes it...

On 7/31/2020 at 12:39 PM, TeriXeri said:

Still wonder if LEGO will make anything Blizzard Entertainment related in the future.

I would love & hate it if they made Starcraft sets. I’ve been a fan of that game forever & have longed for that BC that was made years ago by those other guys. I’d hate it though because something else would meet the chopping block in favor of SC. 

On 10/22/2020 at 5:04 PM, jonwil said:

I think it depends on how they dress it up. Look at Carnage in the Marvel sets, who I believe we have three of. He’s a raging psychopathic serial killer...not exactly kid friendly. Nor is Deadpool, even his movie is rated R(even though the set wasn’t based on the movie). 

On 10/24/2020 at 8:54 PM, Vindicare said:

I would love & hate it if they made Starcraft sets. I’ve been a fan of that game forever & have longed for that BC that was made years ago by those other guys. I’d hate it though because something else would meet the chopping block in favor of SC. 

I think it depends on how they dress it up. Look at Carnage in the Marvel sets, who I believe we have three of. He’s a raging psychopathic serial killer...not exactly kid friendly. Nor is Deadpool, even his movie is rated R(even though the set wasn’t based on the movie). 

A thing about comics characters especially but many cross-media characters more generally is that how "kid appropriate" they are or aren't is highly flexible. Characters like Carnage and Deadpool can and have shown up in "all-ages" media like comics and cartoons aimed at kids without issue. Adult viewers will get the reference to the character's wider body of work, while for kids, their entire reference pool for the character can be based on a much more limited sample (which usually avoid the graphic sexuality or violence those characters are more commonly known for).

In comics the amount of crossovers and varying authorial takes on characters makes this particularly common—you need look no farther than the Joker, one of the most well-known comics villain, who ranges from a kid-friendly clown-themed crook to a mass murderer depending on not just the era of the comic in question but also the particular audience a depiction is geared toward. But TV and film aren't immune either, especially with the concept of a "gritty reboot" of a former kid or family franchise that is sexed up or made more dark and violent to target the original audience after they've aged into an older demographic.

On 10/25/2020 at 2:54 AM, Vindicare said:

While I agree Starcraft is a cool universe for sure, unless there will be a Starcraft 3, I highly doubt there would be SC LEGO sets before Warcraft , SC2 just announced that there won't be any content in the future so basicly means the focus is off that game right now.

Not trying to shut down your wish here, SC2 is a great game, considering the age of it, and personally still think it's a better universe for LEGO sets compared to Diablo.

Of course a 1-off display set would be cool, like a Terran Battlecruiser or something, Overwatch had the larger Bastion display model as well.

Personally I like the Warcraft universe a lot more, and it seems a bit more relevant considering Hearthstone, World of Warcraft + Classic still get content updates/expansions.

Warcraft could tick boxes with Fantasy LEGO fans, while it's not exact Lord of the Rings or Warhammer, it does contain elements of each + more things like C'thulu/Old Gods, Pirates, Steampunk, and some Planets/Spaceships as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

15 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

@TeriXeri - NES was in the 1980s...

What does NES have to do with this?

Blizzard didn't even exist in the 80s, they had some games on the SNES in the 90s, but it was not their main platform.

Edited by TeriXeri

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

What does NES have to do with this?

Blizzard didn't even exist in the 80s, they had some games on the SNES in the 90s, but it was not their main platform.

Pretty much means age won't be a big problem...