YellowCorvette

Lego themes that we would like to happen

Hi, have you read Site Guidelines?

English skills and Clarity: Try to be clear and precise when posting and use correct grammar, spelling and punctuation. We do tolerate bad English as we are a site that welcomes users from all around the world, but we don't tolerate laziness. No l33t sp34k or "texting language". We don't criticize international users who are non-native English speakers, but are trying to post in English. You probably couldn't do as well in their language. Bear this in mind.

Edited by KamalMYafi

Would lego really want to do a theme that didn't do very well with 2 clone brands?

I have never seen it done well. That could be the reason they failed.

No brick-built Pokemon. They should all be molded creatures like the little dragons in the Elves line, or wargs from the Hobbit sets, or the dewback from the Star Wars sets, or the dinosaurs from the Jurassic World line. Fix that error made by other companies and they've got a theme worth buying.

I have never seen it done well. That could be the reason they failed.

No brick-built Pokemon. They should all be molded creatures like the little dragons in the Elves line, or wargs from the Hobbit sets, or the dewback from the Star Wars sets, or the dinosaurs from the Jurassic World line. Fix that error made by other companies and they've got a theme worth buying.

The issue then is that you're removing the building aspects from the core elements of the theme. The focus of the Pokémon franchise is largely on the Pokémon themselves, and as such they should at least constitute some of the buildable content, lest the actual building content be limited to less interesting subjects like Gyms, Pokémon Centers, and other buildings and scenery.

Mind you, if the theme were to be done in minifigure scale then at least the smaller Pokémon would likely need to be molded to maintain any semblance of accuracy. But larger evolved Pokémon and Legendary Pokémon (like Venusaur, Onix, Dialga, and so forth) could potentially be better suited to brick-built creatures like the larger Elves dragons (perhaps, like them, featuring one or two new molds for high-detail areas like faces), so that sets featuring them can revolve more around the Pokémon themselves rather than just an arena or background scenery.

Even then, I would not be surprised if the need for so many new molds were enough to put Lego off from doing the theme. A lot of the Pokémon franchise's popularity comes from the wide variety of different species, and if even half of them require new molds to be depicted accurately that constitutes a heck of a lot of specialized parts, most of which would not even be usable in other themes.

The issue then is that you're removing the building aspects from the core elements of the theme. The focus of the Pokémon franchise is largely on the Pokémon themselves, and as such they should at least constitute some of the buildable content, lest the actual building content be limited to less interesting subjects like Gyms, Pokémon Centers, and other buildings and scenery.

Mind you, if the theme were to be done in minifigure scale then at least the smaller Pokémon would likely need to be molded to maintain any semblance of accuracy. But larger evolved Pokémon and Legendary Pokémon (like Venusaur, Onix, Dialga, and so forth) could potentially be better suited to brick-built creatures like the larger Elves dragons (perhaps, like them, featuring one or two new molds for high-detail areas like faces), so that sets featuring them can revolve more around the Pokémon themselves rather than just an arena or background scenery.

Even then, I would not be surprised if the need for so many new molds were enough to put Lego off from doing the theme. A lot of the Pokémon franchise's popularity comes from the wide variety of different species, and if even half of them require new molds to be depicted accurately that constitutes a heck of a lot of specialized parts, most of which would not even be usable in other themes.

All good points. I know they would likely make brick-built creatures, but I really prefer their molds. For example, Charizard (usually) is only about the size of the Jurassic World raptors, and could likely reuse some of those molds:

size_comparison_by_firekitsune08-d7d8h4l.jpg

If they went for the biggest size here, it could be done like this dragon:

dragon04.png

In both cases, new molds for the head and tail are all that is really needed. I would still consider these buildable, but not really brick-built.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sets based on the various Gyms, or on Pokemon Centers. Each could come with a few Pokemon (biggest ones in the Gym sets), Gym leaders, trainers, nurses, etc. There could be builds based on your home (with your mother and a Pikachu), the Professor's Lab (with the Professor and the 3 starter Pokemon), various towns, and other world locations where Pokemon are found. Also, smaller Pokemon could be blind bagged (and most Pokemon are quite small).

Many Pokemon are smaller than humans, and would look terrible brick-built. They could bring back the cow for Tauros and give it a new head mold. Some could be done as minifigures (Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan), maybe some as bigfigs. There are many ways to make them using existing molds while including an element of building.

I'll agree, though, that some Pokemon could be brick-built (or have more of a build to them), like Onix or Gyrados.

As an example, Onix could be made with these, perhaps with some variation on the top or bottom piece to allow multiples to be connected:

30294c01.png

Anyways, I think it's a feasible theme, and should be considered. And I also think that the ugly brick-built Pokemon of other companies contributed to their lack of success. It would likely take several waves to get through the 1st 150 Pokemon, if they even did all of them, but I think it could be successful. The issue would be the new molds. As I think I've shown above, many could reuse other molds, but there would still need to be a good number of new molds and that can be expensive. All of that said, and as much as I would love to see it happen, I have a feeling LEGO will not be tackling this IP any time soon.

Hey Guys,

Who wants Dragon Ball Lego!!

It will be awesome ik right who wants that set to be made comment below fans!!

I wanted to see Lego GoKU sUPER sayian minifig ik it will be awesome see i made a prototype xD

HuUCVeL.jpg

A lego birdwatching theme :-)

- A small box with a birdwatcher and two birds (birds not brickbuild, but like the seagull)

- new pinetrees with a woodpecker and maybe a turkey and a pheasant under it

- a bridge over a stream with a kingfisher and an osprey

Stuff like that

I just got back from Disney and the animal kingdom park got me thinking about a safari series. You could have rangers protecting species from poachers and get a lot of sweet new animal molds

Doctor Who! Doctor Who! DOCTOR WHO! There are 12 (well, technically 13) different Doctors to make sets from! And many companion minifigs to make, as well! The Ideas set got me into Lego, and I'd love to see more Who sets, especially the 4th Doctor.

I just got back from Disney and the animal kingdom park got me thinking about a safari series. You could have rangers protecting species from poachers and get a lot of sweet new animal molds

I think that's a great idea - especially the animal molds bit!

It's a possibility, but I think Lego might avoid doing a theme like that that way due to poaching being a fairly morbid subject (at least compared to the typical non-violent crime in most realistic Lego themes like City). The closest recent themes that come to mind are Lego Dino and the Lego Friends animal rescue subtheme, both of which emphasized animal welfare to a certain degree but lacked any criminal element.

A revival for the lego adventurers theme would be nice, I would love to know where Johnny (or his descendants) are adventuring at these times even if in a medieval or futuristic style so it would appeal to kids more but it would be nice to see the theme return.

Or they could try get the license from Nintendo so they could make mario/pokemon/zelda sets I would like to see what they look like. (just dont do a Super Mario bros movie on us)

Edited by SodorBricks

I really want a new egyptian theme, I miss Pharaoh's Quest sooo much!!! ( Johnny Thunder's son adventures, like SodorBricks mentionned ). The mini figs were awesome ( Anubis soldiers are one of my favorite figs of all time ) and god they look good on display

Any new theme would be great honestly, it's been a while. ( Nexo knights don't count! )

Edited by RetroInferno

On 28-9-2016 at 5:11 AM, RetroInferno said:

I really want a new egyptian theme, I miss Pharaoh's Quest sooo much!!! ( Johnny Thunder's son adventures, like SodorBricks mentionned ). The mini figs were awesome ( Anubis soldiers are one of my favorite figs of all time ) and god they look good on display

Any new theme would be great honestly, it's been a while. ( Nexo knights don't count! )

Agreed, an Egyptian theme would be great! It's a concept that has only been done in PQ, and single sets in Scooby Doo, Monster Fighters and Indiana Jones, in the modern age of LEGO. There are quite a few opportunities to innovate. For example, PQ only had above ground structures like an obelisk, sphinx and pyramid; quintessential, but Egypt is more than that. A large tomb, build in the mountainside (think: city of Petra), could work as the largest set. A Nile vessel would be fantastic as well.

I recently got a couple Creator sets and I must say they are the best. No stickers, 3 builds in one, and (usually) minifig scale. I think Creator sets are the only ones that really provide the experience I want.

Which makes me think that they REALLY need to do THEMED Creator sets. I've said it before as have others. We need NON-LICENSED Space and Castle Creator sets, as well as other popular classic themes.

Edited by danth

3 hours ago, The lego fan said:

Agreed!!!!!!!

I accedently quoted my self and can't get rid of it.Grrr!

I'd also realy love a new Egyptian theme or a spy theme.

Edited by The lego fan

Now that the Walt Disney World Castle set is out and a huge hit, I would like to reiterate my wish for an entire line of sets based on the Disney theme parks. The thing is, such a concept has the potential to fulfill almost everyone's wishes. You want pirates? They've got 'em. Fairy tales? In the bag. Jungle safari with lots of animals? Ever hear of the Jungle Cruise or Disney's Animal Kingdom? Architecture and world landmarks? World Showcase at Epcot. Old West? Frontierland. Classic-style Space? Tomorrowland. Vehicles? Disneyland alone has an iconic fire engine, double-decker bus, antique car, and famous train. Not to mention the infinite potential for crossover with Star Wars, Marvel, and Indiana Jones.

Starting with the 'never gonna happen' themes, being an anime fan I'd love to see some anime themes. There are many problems with them though, licensing, and I'm not sure how would they translate into actual sets. For example as much as I love Mirai Nikki, and would love to have a Gasai Yuno figure, I can barely think of any Mirai Nikki related set, since the story mostly takes place in a real world environment. Same goes for the Fate/ series too, sure it has magic, but again, happening in the modern days.

I think a minifigure-line would be most suitable, similar to the collectible minifigure line. They could easily include characters from different anime series such as Sakata Gintoki or Kirigaya Kazuto, without needing to create whole themes for their individual series.

One anime/video game series I could imagine being a full line, is Galaxy Angel. In my regards those games are the 'Star Wars of anime'. They have many different ships, and considering how Star Wars is one of the most famous and profitable line, I can see a theme like that. Not to mention the highlights of the Star Wars theme are mostly vehicles, and Galaxy Angel has a lot different of them: The Emblem Frames, the Trasbaal Navy, Val-Fasc vessels, etc.

But even if it sounds good in theory, there's the final nail in the coffin for both Galaxy Angel and the whole anime theme: They are not popular enough. Probably no one even knows what Galaxy Angel is in the first place. Even a more popular series such as Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece or Death Note is nowhere near the popularity of Star Wars, Harry Potter, DC or Marvel and themes like that.

Seems like MOCs are the only way when it comes to themes like those. But still, even if one can successfully recreate starfighters and battleships, certain minifigures are impossible to create such as Mint Blamanche or Shinozaki Rika, due to their extreme hairstlye. Not to mention alien creatures like Prince Hata. Anime tend to have extreme hairstyles with a wide variety of colors (green, blue, red, pink, purple).

Moving up, being a fan of medieval fantasy (and sci-fi, but Star Wars satisfies my sci-fi needs aside from the above mentioned Galaxy Angel), I'd love to see a theme dedicated to this. World of Warcraft or The Elder Scrolls or even Game of Thrones would be awesome. Due to the more mature ratings on those I doubt we'll ever see them as licensed themes, but if we had a fantasy line similar to those series, it would be awesome. A line based on Japan's Edo period would be welcomed too.

Lastly I'd love to see the Harry Potter theme resurrected. Cursed Child play, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie, would be a great opportunity to release Harry Potter related sets.

I'd like to see a "Stadiums" theme. Famous sports stadiums from around the world, not just the USA, though the USA would have the most to choose from. The question is, what size? More likely would be an Architecture size, but I'd like to see some around the scale of the Tower Bridge set. Obviously not minifigure scale, that's impossible. But such a theme would hook both AFOLs and kids alike.

A big obstacle would be licensing - not just that LEGO would need a license, but also that most American sports are licensed by a company called Oyo. I know it's blasphemous, but I own a few of the Oyo toys, and while I appreciate the effort put into them, I think the difference in quality is rather obvious.

Now, if I could make a list of stadiums I'd like to see LEGO tackle, here's what I'd go with:

• Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA, USA)
  • Wembley Stadium (London, England)
  • Beijing National Stadium "Bird's Nest" (Beijing, China)
  • Wrigley Field (Chicago, IL, USA)
  • Fenway Park (Boston, MA, USA)