YellowCorvette

Lego themes that we would like to happen

16 minutes ago, MAB said:

'd prefer them to do something like Adventurers, without the superhero masks and so on. If you mask-up otherwise unknown characters, they look like bad copies of the licensed properties, while overlapping with those properties.

I the same way Pixar and Disney have managed to create their own superhero movies with The Incredibles and Big Hero 6, in the same way LEGO can create their own "masked" superheroes without feeling like rip-offs. I really don't see what wouldn't work here.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I the same way Pixar and Disney have managed to create their own superhero movies with The Incredibles and Big Hero 6, in the same way LEGO can create their own "masked" superheroes without feeling like rip-offs. I really don't see what wouldn't work here.

What have they done though, they have put a lot of work into the backstory to make them meaningful. LEGO has done this in themes like Ninjago, creating their own story based IP. Could they do it for Super Heroes? Of course. But if they do caped and masked style superheroes, they will overlap with the licensed Super Heroes themes. So they either duplicate something they already have and so don't add much to their sales, or they cut out the popular licensed based Super Heroes and lose fans of those licenses. And put Batman next to in-house brand LEGOman, and I reckon most kids and their parents will go for Batman. LEGO might as well do something different - like Agents, Explorers, etc - and not overlap with the existing licensed style themes.

Edited by MAB

I'd like to see a goats theme. Each set has at least one goat. with some goat related builds such as a goat version of the horse of troy or a bi-plane piloted by goats or mountain goats on a mountain. I'm not talking anthropomorphic (chima) goats or goats in clothes just plain ordinary goat's doing extraordinary thing. They could make a new mould for a baby goat as well.

12 hours ago, Aanchir said:

If LEGO were to do a "hero team-up" as varied as the Monster Fighters villains, it would likely need to draw on equally well-known public domain heroic archetypes, like Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, etc. Compare with Alan Moore's "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", a comic book reimagining Victorian-era literary figures like the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll, Captain Nemo, and Allan Quartermain as an Avengers or Justice League style superhero team, or DreamWorks' "Rise of the Guardians", which formed a hero team based on figures from children's folklore like Santa Claus, Jack Frost, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.

^THIS^ :thumbup: :smug: Yes, this is what I'd love to see more of from Lego's in-house themes. :devil:

5 hours ago, MAB said:
On 5/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I mean, it'd be very like Lego's Adventurers theme in spirit and tone, but with crimefighters, masked avengers, and the sort. :shrug_oh_well:

I'd prefer them to do something like Adventurers, without the superhero masks and so on. If you mask-up otherwise unknown characters, they look like bad copies of the licensed properties, while overlapping with those properties.

Well, in the case of Zorro and The Shadow, they been emulated by countless pulp crimefighters throughout the '30s and '40s (Batman, for instance, was inspired after BOTH), so I think the Masked Noir/Pulp Crimefighter has become an archetype unto itself as a result! :grin:

21 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

^THIS^ :thumbup: :smug: Yes, this is what I'd love to see more of from Lego's in-house themes. :devil:

Well, in the case of Zorro and The Shadow, they been emulated by countless pulp crimefighters throughout the '30s and '40s (Batman, for instance, was inspired after BOTH), so I think the Masked Noir/Pulp Crimefighter has become an archetype unto itself as a result! :grin:

But what would the sets contain? And more importantly who would buy them? I cannot remember the last time I saw Zorro products on the shelf of a toy store. Fancy dress, yes. But toys?

Would they overlap Pulp type sets with the current Superheroes offerings, or drop the licenses for SH sets and do this instead. Another company would be sure to pick up DC and Marvel and compete with LEGO's in-house offerings if they dropped the licenses.

I can see them doing that type of character in the CMF range, but not as a theme. In fact, we already have a decent head for Zorro.

3626cpb0856.jpg?2

The musketeer hat is a bit big but not too bad, and there are plenty of black torsos and capes.

Edited by MAB

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

But what would the sets contain? And more importantly who would buy them? I cannot remember the last time I saw Zorro products on the shelf of a toy store. Fancy dress, yes. But toys?

Would they overlap Pulp type sets with the current Superheroes offerings, or drop the licenses for SH sets and do this instead. Another company would be sure to pick up DC and Marvel and compete with LEGO's in-house offerings if they dropped the licenses.

With a hypothetical 1920's/1930's setting, it'd be like an urban take on Lego's Adventurers and/or Monster Fighters theme, though a little more fantastical. The sets could pit the theme's archetypical pulp heroes against mad barons, supernatural beings/monsters, crime lords, and other such nemeses straight outta a Lobster Johnson comic. Plus, the vehicular builds could be of a fantastical Decopunk/Dieselpunk aesthetic. Just think of a theme with vehicles with a look like this, but scaled down!!! :moar:

Savanna Master

19 minutes ago, MAB said:

I can see them doing that type of character in the CMF range, but not as a theme.

Absolutely, something I'm banking my hopes upon much more strongly than for pie-in-the-sky dream themes such as the one I proposed above! :thumbup: :purrr:

On 5/7/2019 at 7:22 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Heh, maybe instead of an in-house theme based upon more traditional Golden Age/Silver Age/Bronze Age/Modern Age superhero comics, perhaps they could rather draw inspiration from their earlier Pulp-Era predecessors. Ya know, characters like Doc SavageThe ShadowTarzanGreen HornetZorroFlash Gordon... :purrr:

I mean, it'd be very like Lego's Adventurers theme in spirit and tone, but with crimefighters, masked avengers, and the sort. :shrug_oh_well:

Well, have you yet seen this? :wink:

No what is it

13 hours ago, Ninjaguy99 said:

No what is it

Well, if you're wondering whether it's real or not, I'm sorry to say that it isn't, as it's just merely conceptual fan art. 

12 hours ago, pooda said:

Family Guy

We don't need it. But I'd buy it.

Mega Construx / Bloks have done Family Guy kubros, similar to Brickheadz.

9 hours ago, MAB said:

We don't need it. But I'd buy it.

Same here. That's what I said about the 60200 Capital set from City. 

I mean, would little boys really want to play with a hot dog stand, museum or a hotel? The only reason it did so well was because of the bus and that sports car - which in my honest opinion should've been their own sets sold as great vehicles. 

Edited by pooda

1 hour ago, pooda said:

Same here. That's what I said about the 60200 Capital set from City. 

I mean, would little boys really want to play with a hot dog stand, museum or a hotel? The only reason it did so well was because of the bus that sports car - which in my honest opinion should've been their own sets sold as great vehicles. 

Sometimes I think Lego pairs popular subjects like the bus and sports car with less obvious ones like the museum and hotel deliberately, to better sell that less demanded subject matter. Yes, the bus and car might have sold even better on their own, but then people who want a museum or hotel (especially adult fans who make up a more niche market) might end up not getting either. So sets like the Capital (or some of the earlier "assortment" type large City sets) allow them to sell a more diverse range of subjects than they might otherwise be able to if every part of them had to be sold independently.

It's sort of similar to how the CMFs allow for a more diverse range of subject matter than other themes by "bundling" more obviously popular types of characters that have proven to sell in other themes (like astronauts or police or knights) with archetypes that might be a little more obscure or less obvious to most kids (like the Spartan warrior, crash test dummy, or Monkey King).

On 9/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, Lyichir said:

Sometimes I think Lego pairs popular subjects like the bus and sports car with less obvious ones like the museum and hotel deliberately, to better sell that less demanded subject matter. Yes, the bus and car might have sold even better on their own, but then people who want a museum or hotel (especially adult fans who make up a more niche market) might end up not getting either. So sets like the Capital (or some of the earlier "assortment" type large City sets) allow them to sell a more diverse range of subjects than they might otherwise be able to if every part of them had to be sold independently.

It's sort of similar to how the CMFs allow for a more diverse range of subject matter than other themes by "bundling" more obviously popular types of characters that have proven to sell in other themes (like astronauts or police or knights) with archetypes that might be a little more obscure or less obvious to most kids (like the Spartan warrior, crash test dummy, or Monkey King).

That makes sense. I remember the 60097 City Square set. They did a similar thing by adding sets they know would sell among little children like the tow truck, Lego delivery truck and the tram with things that only adult and teen audiences would notice the car dealership and Lego building. 

I really hope Lego would release one of those sets every year. Make the flagship sets an annual thing. I think they're on a good start right now. Last year was the 60200 Capital City. This year's flagship set is the 60233 Doughnut Shop Opening. My idea for next year's flagship set was a shopping district set. It would be like the Town Square set, only it would include three buildings and some vehicles. The buildings would be a mini grocery store, pizzeria and a post office. 

Btw, what's a CMF? 

Edited by pooda

45 minutes ago, Lego David said:

The fact that it's inappropriate.

It isn't a fact.

The DVDs, for example, are rated 15 (in UK). So if they made 16+ sets, then they would be age appropriate. We might assume it is inappropriate based on LEGO's values, but those are very flexible when it comes to opportunities of new markets. Many thought the same of The Simpsons, yet they did that. Go back just over a decade, and many thought they wouldn't make German or Russian soldiers based on their anti-modern warfare stance, but they did that.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

It isn't a fact.

The DVDs, for example, are rated 15 (in UK). So if they made 16+ sets, then they would be age appropriate. We might assume it is inappropriate based on LEGO's values, but those are very flexible when it comes to opportunities of new markets. Many thought the same of The Simpsons, yet they did that. Go back just over a decade, and many thought they wouldn't make German or Russian soldiers based on their anti-modern warfare stance, but they did that.

Of course! Lego is good at doing that. They not only pander to kids. But they pander to adults as well. Peep this real quick.  d0016301-95ee-4a2f-8cbb-dd05afde8504.jpg

Edited by pooda

@MAB Bob's Burgers is another one I propose. Truthfully speaking, to cut cost they'd probably nationalize all of those under one theme and name it something like the "FOX Animation" theme or something like that. 

Edited by pooda

15 minutes ago, Lego David said:

A new Constraction line really needs to happen.

Well, we'll see what next year's "Leaf" theme is won't we? :wink:

15 minutes ago, pooda said:

@MAB Bob's Burgers is another one I propose. I didn't recommend American Dad, Futurama or King of the Hill because I don't think those would be marketable. 

I'm not really a fan of such adult-oriented franchises coming under Lego's umbrella, but I would be interested in seeing Disney's Gravity Falls being represented in some way having recently checked out the show, as it's somewhat comparable regarding its brand of "tongue-in-cheek" humor. 

29 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, we'll see what next year's "Leaf" theme is won't we? :wink:

We sure will, but there is no guarantee that it's going to be constraction.... But I really hope it is.

25 minutes ago, Lego David said:

We sure will, but there is no guarantee that it's going to be constraction.... But I really hope it is.

For me, I'm hoping for my own sake that it'll end-up being a another in-house, System-based "big bang" theme (i.e. Ninjago, Chima, Nexo Knights) that's more up-my-alley; but, having said that, it'd be fairer to Constraction fans who haven't anything at all if were such instead of another System-based theme.