Sign in to follow this  
craigslegostuff

My first post as a 40 year old Modular/MOC newbie!

HI evryone,

My name's Craig, I guess I'll introduce myself first.

I started playing with Lego when I was probably 5 or 6 and, like most AFOLs lost interest in my teens. I got interested again in my early 30's around the time of the first motorised Star Wars AT-AT and was hooked again for a few years. I got the Sail Barge, a couple of TIE fighters and an X Wings, A Wing, Slave II etc. and was well on the way to amassing a nice collection of bricks again. Until..., for some regrettable reason (I was basically downsizing my home)....

I gave it away. Yes, gave it all away.

Anyway, over the past two years I started taking notice again, and suddenly I stumbled upon the world of modular building, and the Cafe Corner Standard etc. This was when I realised what I'd been missing out on, especially now with a more adult approach to how clever Lego is and what can be achieved with a bit of creativity and know-how. This was when I REALLY started to regret getting rid of the stuff I did have, because I decided right then that I was going get all of the existing MB sets, come hell or high water.

I spent a long time making the decision to start again, because I knew this time it was going to be a huge undertaking, - not to mention the strain on my pocket if I ever get hold of the Cafe Corner and other rare retired ones.

I bought the pet shop last week.

I am absolutely hooked again.

CRAIG Hove, UK.

ps. I have to say guys, some of the stuff I've seen on this and the many Lego modular sites out there has completely blown my mind. I'll be posting some work- in-progress pics of my first attempt at a modular MOC(!), because as soon as bought the pet shop I just had to buy a load of bricks and see what I could do..! Watch this space.

Welcome to Eurobricks and welcome to the world of Modulars!!

Hope you have deep pockets or as some have done recently - changed the colours of the older modulars to make them a little bit more affordable!!

Good Luck!

Modulars huh? If you have to pick an addiction, its the best one. :laugh:

Anyway, welcome to Eurbricks, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Welcome to EB! And I look forward to sharing the pain of missed Modulars-past with yet another addicted AFOL. :wink:

(...) I am absolutely hooked again. (...)

Don't worry, Craig, it'll get worse. You'll see!

Welcome to the club, and keep clicking those bricks together.

Hello Craig and welcome!!

Although your first sentence should have read:

"Hello, my name is Craig, and I'm a modularholic." :roflmao: like all of us here!

Anyway, welcome and I look forward to seeing your creations

Welcome aboard. I share your love of the Modular Houses Standard. Looking forward to seeing yours. I just built a small one recently but have not taken decent photos yet.

Welcome, Craig and let me introduce myself at the same time. I am Stig, I have followed this forum for a little while but have not been an active member, since I didn't have any Lego yet, (my parents gave them away while I learned the streets as a bartender). I got so inspired by all the marvelous MOC's here that they woke me up from the slumbering dark ages and I had to go and buy myself a madular. The Palace Cinema. After building that I knew that I had to get me some modular sets. I bought bulk bricks and partial sets from someone dumping a whole lot from their kids collections (lucky kids). The fraction of their collection I got was about 21-24 kilos with a lot of good pieces (but unfortunately almost no decent windows for modular buildings). I have made 2 test MOC, and after making one I am very happy with I have decided to post my pictures here. Will come as soon as I understand how to photograph black bricks and find the cable for the camera.

I can't wait to see your creations.

Edited by Sir Stig

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all and seeing lots more of your creations!

I do have a lot of questions that I'm sure you lot can help me with - especially to do with:

- searching for and purchasing parts

- storage ideas

- exhibitions, fairs etc.

All help will be appreciated - perhaps if you can point me in the direction of useful threads.

I do have the Lego Neighbourhood book, also the Brick City book, and an on-going collection of great images for inspiration!

- could someone tell me the best place to post my MOC work in progress pics? And I'm new to this site it would be good to know I'm not cluttering up the wrong threads!

Welcome, Craig and let me introduce myself at the same time. I am Stig, I have followed this forum for a little while but have not been an active member, since I didn't have any Lego yet, (my parents gave them away while I learned the streets as a bartender). I got so inspired by all the marvelous MOC's here that they woke me up from the slumbering dark ages and I had to go and buy myself a madular. The Palace Cinema. After building that I knew that I had to get me some modular sets. I bought bulk bricks and partial sets from someone dumping a whole lot from their kids collections (lucky kids). The fraction of their collection I got was about 21-24 kilos with a lot of good pieces (but unfortunately almost no decent windows for modular buildings). I have made 2 test MOC, and after making one I am very happy with I have decided to post my pictures here. Will come as soon as I understand how to photograph black bricks and find the cable for the camera.

I can't wait to see your creations.

Yes, sounds like you're in similar place to me - apart from the fact I am ridiculously envious of that 21 kilos! :laugh:

I've been using a small bedside lamp lent to light my first MOC pics - which I'll post soon - and that seemed to work nicely, even with black.

Welcome to EB! And I look forward to sharing the pain of missed Modulars-past with yet another addicted AFOL. :wink:

Hi Deraven. Wasn't sure if I'd replied to this, but here's a catch-up. How many of the original Modulars do you have in your collection so far then? When did you start collecting and had some gone into retirement by then? My basic plan is to work from the earliest (i.e.. most likely to be retired/deleted) - but plan not going great so far as I have still only managed to afford the et Shop so far! Cinema next, then the parisien Restaurant, then Detectives Office I guess! Meanwhile I'm aiming to open a new savings account to save up some ridiculous amounts of cash to pay for the retired onces (gonna have to bite the bullet at some pint as I really can;t stand the idea of having missing sets!)

Let me know your progress and your action plan!

Craig, Hove, UK