Sign in to follow this  
Dryw Filtiarn

My Mercedes CLK-GTR project

I'm currently working on a Technic supercar version of the Mercedes CLK-GTR GT-car (well known from Le Mans 24, as the car that has taken off, see: this video

After about a month or so of work (in which I have actually only spent a couple of days working on the model) I have finished the chassis pretty much and currently I'm working on the body of the car.

The car we are talking about:

Mercedes_CLK_GTR_red.jpg

The result I have gotten to so far:

chassis-01.jpg

Click to enlarge...

chassis-03.jpg

Click to enlarge...

Note that the front body part (the red part) is only on a temporary fixture and is just to see how I could create the proper shape for the front of the car...

Probably there will be updates on the car later this week.

(For the people among us who think of going to the Lego World event in Zwolle, The Netherlands in October this year, you can see the car there in real life *sweet* )

This looks like a really interesting project. I have a CLK-LM in my model car collection and it is one of my favorites from Le Mans.

Would you perhaps make a '98 GT-one as well so that you can reenact the accident at Le Mans? Incredible that the driver could withstand such a crash!

Good luck with the rest of the model. I hope you will take a lot of pictures for us who can't come to Zwolle this year.

You can be sure of the fact that I will take a whole lot more picture both during the build process as well as when it's finished :) I'll try to keep this topic up to date as long as I'm working on the car.

At this point I'm kind of stuck as I'm still waiting for a delivery of parts from TLC (which already takes 2 weeks) *n*

Regarding the CLK-LM the GTR and the LM are pretty much equal to eachother the GTR is the predecessor of the LM. The red car on my picture is the CLK-GTR supersport. Regarding the car that flipped during Le Mans '99 was the Mercedes CLK-CLR which is totally uncomparible to the GTR in shape. I think it's a bit uglier even. (The reason why I mentioned the Le Mans car to be GTR is because most people still think it was a GTR ;-) )

Edited by Dryw Filtiarn

can't wait till Legoworld to see this car :-)

Nice moc of a well known car.

Me personally not like Mercedes at all, but this is a nice looking car.

I

The project is nearly finished by now. There are a couple of things that need to be finished or improved, but I will need to receive some parts for that, which I expect will be in the coming few days.

Anyway, here is a summery of the progress...

The beginning (08-Aug-2007):

chassis-01.jpg chassis-02.jpg

Continuing... (24-Aug-2007):

chassis-01.jpg chassis-03.jpg

Nearly finished (08-Oct-2007):

car-01.jpg car-02.jpg car-03.jpg car-04.jpg

(You can click the thumbnails to view bigger versions of the photos)

For those of you that will be visiting the LegoWorld event in Zwolle (The Netherlands) from 18th of october to 23th of october can see this car in real life, for the first time!

P.S. There will be better quality pictures of the car in the near future as soon as I find the time to set up a proper photography setting with good lighting.

Edited by Dryw Filtiarn

now i really can't wait! *y*

Wonderful details, impressive engine, and overall very elegant! *y*

I finally have some better quality photos of the car. There is another outdoor photoshoot planned, but it's not sure yet when it will take place. For now enjoy these indoor photos :)

merc-clk-gtr-02.jpg

(Click the image for more)

Great car, with lots of details *wub*

It would make an impressive set *y* *y* *y*

LuxorV

I agree, that I would love to see Lego produce sets like these. But on the otherhand they would really cost a fortune. My guess would be that if Lego were to produce the car I build as a set, the price will be somewhere around 400€ to 500€, which would mean that it would only be sold in small amounts and to real enthousiasts only.

It's a shame though :-$

Great work! *wub* I love cars like this, especially ones with gearboxes. I wish Lego would bring back gearboxes.... :'-(

So what's planned next for you?